Do NOT clean your iPhone with Windex!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IndianaiPhone, Jul 24, 2008.

1. IndianaiPhone macrumors regular

Ya know... the cleaning stuff. Can I clean my iPhone 3G with it? Has anyone else tried it? I just don't wanna brake my precious iPhone with it somehow.

UPDATE: I found a document (attached below) that specifically says NOT to use things like windex!

Attached Files:

2. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

3. aridon macrumors member

I've used a small bit of alcohol to break up some of the finger grease without issues. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem unless you doused it.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I spray a little Windex on a tissue and then use the tissue to clean my iPhone 3G and my wife's iPod Touch with no problems. I've done it numerous times. It works great because it removes all the finger and face "grease".

Cheers
    :):apple:

6. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

i don't recommend it but try it at your risks - a cloth works just fine !

7. LAN Shark macrumors newbie

I use lens cleaner when a cloth isn't enough. I've used it on the iPhone and iPhone 3G. Just don't spray into the speaker or other orifices including the area around the home button.

8. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I don't see a problem with it - it's still glass - I would just spray the Windex on the cloth and not the iPhone itself

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

The problems could arise if there are any coatings on the glass that the windex wears off.

I find that as long as it's clean, the little black cloth works perfectly. I just rinse mine out every week or so.

10. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I spritzed an iphone cleaning cloth lightly with windex and used it to clean just the glass screen and it worked great...

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Go buy some iKlear Apple polish. It cleans about any computer component safely and most kits come with a cloth. I've cleaned my phone many times and haven't added to the one scratch I gave it myself in another manner.

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

I clean my iPhone with the incredibly high tech cloth of whatever I happen to be wearing. My t-shirt works quite well. :D

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Commit, bleach and steel wool is all I ever use.

14. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I would not recommend using Windex with Ammonia. In fact, I probably wouldn't use Windex at all. Get an LCD spray or something. In the meantime, use a damp cloth or some breath and a shirt.

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

16. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I like the pant leg shuffle works just fine with mine. For a clean shine that I can stare at I use the magic iPhone branded cleaning cloth though. It looks beautiful until I take a phone call, then it's back to nasty.

17. firewood macrumors 604

Don't spray or drip windex on your iphone. It could get inside.

Instead spray just a few drops on the corner of a slightly damp cloth (thus diluting the windex). Use the cloth to wipe the gunk off, being very careful not to get anything in any of the connectors, top or bottom. Then use a dry cloth to polish up any residue. That's what I do when I wipe against a cotton shirt will no longer do.

18. donmei macrumors regular

Ammonia cause crazing of clear plastic (plexi, lexan)

If the new iphone is in fact still glass, then windex is fine. Its just glass, glass is glass is glass. There isnt some special windex phobic special apple glass derived by scraping the underside of steve Jobs scrotum. or anything like that.

19. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Lemon Pledge.

20. stanleywinthrop macrumors member

My 3000 rpm non-orbital buffer works quite well on my iphone.

21. someguy7014 macrumors member

22. Herrow macrumors regular

Over time Windex will eat away at coatings. I once had a Think Pad and over a year or two of cleaning with Windex the lcd was dulling and hazing. No Joke!

Great cleaning review

23. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Seriously tho, I wouldn't use anything unless designed for LCD glass.

Best Buy sells those canisters of Monitor Wipes which work great - not to wet, not too dry. They're 10 bux a can, but you can use the same one to clean your phone, monitors, whatever.

24. thecellar macrumors regular

i use my shirt ....on the hour.....and it looks brand new

25. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

I use a microfiber rag that was for cleaning LCD screens. works flawlessly, without scratching or streaking (and for any stuck on food or something, a little spit on the finger goes a long way, lol)