Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
UPDATE: I guess it was a temporary issue as it has now disappeared and is working fine. All alerts arrive during the DnD period they just don't notify you with buzzing, sounds or lighting up the screen. Yea!

---
I really like the new DnD, but I've found one exception which is counter intuitive to how I expected it to behave.

When in DnD my phone doesn't light up, vibrate or otherwise notify me of anything (awesome), but what I expected was that it was still gathering all of this in the background and just not buzzing about it. What it actually seems to do is stop all email checking/notification/updates. So when I wake up and turn on my notifications screen (pushing the top button) it has nothing.

I'd much rather it still get all the push events (email, etc) and just not notify me so if i happen to wake it up they are all there.

In case it makes a difference I set auto-DnD and it hadn't reached the turn off time when I woke up.

-Xen

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I didn't know it didn't grab everything while in dnd mode. That is actually kind of a bummer but similar to turning your phone on, I guess, it seems your phone would blow up when you take it off DND.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well I have all of my texts, emails and other notifications when I wake my phone after DnD mode, so maybe either it's a specific issue with your phone or you're not getting any push notifications while our DnD is on?

jsg7

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
A bigger frustration... Words With Friends notified me of moves audibly this morning while DnD was still active...

Phone calls still silenced, however, so it was on.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I set up DND last night and when I woke up today, I had a text and 3 emails on my lock screen waiting for me. So it worked for me just as the OP was expecting it to.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Does anyone know how to allow one email contact to alert through DnD?

Is this possible with DnD?

I want all notifications off at night, except those from one contact, an email address that sends me an alert when my server goes down. It could also be an SMS alert if that would work.

Any ideas on how to set this up? TIA.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is this possible with DnD?

I want all notifications off at night, except those from one contact, an email address that sends me an alert when my server goes down. It could also be an SMS alert if that would work.

Any ideas on how to set this up? TIA.

You could remove everything but that account from your favorites list and set DND under Notifications to allow calls from Favorites. or create a special group below that with only that one contact in the group and that should do what you're looking for.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
Well I have all of my texts, emails and other notifications when I wake my phone after DnD mode, so maybe either it's a specific issue with your phone or you're not getting any push notifications while our DnD is on?

I think it's this Xen. I used DND last night and had a bunch of emails and scorecenter alerts waiting for me.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Thanks I'll try this when i get a chance.

But are you sure it will work for a contact without a phone number, and just an email address?

Another way I could achieve the same result would be to have the phone only alert me when I get an email to a certain email address I have set up on the iphone (but not others). I don't know if that is possible, though, either.

You could remove everything but that account from your favorites list and set DND under Notifications to allow calls from Favorites. or create a special group below that with only that one contact in the group and that should do what you're looking for.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks I'll try this when i get a chance.

But are you sure it will work for a contact without a phone number, and just an email address?

No, not 100% sure. You'll have to try it and see. But you did say you could set it up as SMS with a telephone number right?

iphoneIA

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Iowa
It still gets everything for me. When I wake up, my lock screen is full of emails and text messages.

This was mine this morning when I woke up. I didn't hear it at all last night and this morning it was full of emails from overnight.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
The monitor service can send an SMS, but it doesn't originate from a phone number. It actually just sends the SMS via email to my carrier, i.e. number@carrier.net or whatever. It is received as an SMS on the phone.

I was really hoping the DnD feature would finally bring some basic ringer profiles to the iPhone, but it doesn't look like it.

I'll report back once I try a few things.

No, not 100% sure. You'll have to try it and see. But you did say you could set it up as SMS with a telephone number right?

Blackened

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
A bigger frustration... Words With Friends notified me of moves audibly this morning while DnD was still active...

Phone calls still silenced, however, so it was on.

Same here, Dice with Buddies still sent audible notifications as did email when Do Not Disturb was turned on last night..

What's up with that?

Danwr

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
I use my iPhone as my bedside clock (clock app) while being plugged into a speaker/dock. I didn't realize that the phone has to to be in the "Locked" state or DND does not work. Phone was beeping all night.

This needs to be fixed in the next release. DND should work regardless of whether the phone is locked or not. :mad:

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Airplane mode turns off all radios, so you don't get notified of anything at all: no one can call you, your emails aren't downloading in the background, your contacts aren't syncing, etc. Your phone might as well be powered off completely.

The purpose of DnD is to allow specified contacts to ring through, but not others, while DnD is On. This would allow you to sleep at night without being bothered by email notifications or random SMS or phone calls, but allow emergency calls or your allowed contacts.

So in the end how is this any different from airplane mode... :rolleyes:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It appears 3rd party apps still alert me. The reason I turn off notifications of those apps was to not be disturbed. I figured this would be the solution.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
My biggest complaint when testing this over the last few Beta builds, submitted multiple requests to Apple to include SMS from favorites but they never did.

Makes the one feature I was excited about useless to me. I need to get SMS alerts for server down messages. :(

yelnref

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I use my iPhone as my bedside clock (clock app) while being plugged into a speaker/dock. I didn't realize that the phone has to to be in the "Locked" state or DND does not work. Phone was beeping all night.

This needs to be fixed in the next release. DND should work regardless of whether the phone is locked or not. :mad:

This.

Needs to be fixed.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I'm glad to see my experience isn't the norm. I suppose the only alerts I normally get during the night are Microsoft Exchange sync/push related. Anyone else using that?

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ
My biggest complaint when testing this over the last few Beta builds, submitted multiple requests to Apple to include SMS from favorites but they never did.

Makes the one feature I was excited about useless to me. I need to get SMS alerts for server down messages. :(

Agreed! I want, and at times need, to be able to get SMS alerts from certain individuals even though as a whole I do not want to be disturbed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.