Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
- yes, it needs scheduling
- plus ignore favorites should be an option

and, my biggest issue...

- should work whenever you activate it, regardless of the phone being locked or not. That way, you can still use the phone as a clock at night (or I could be reading (or listening to) a book).

Then it would be perfect.

I LOVE the concept, but the scheduling limitations are annoying...

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
- should work whenever you activate it, regardless of the phone being locked or not. That way, you can still use the phone as a clock at night (or I could be reading (or listening to) a book).

I agree. There are times when I'm using my iPhone, but I don't want anyone disturbing me like when I'm reading ebooks or using my iPhone for other reasons. The problem with smartphones is that people can contact you whenever they want through phone, text, and even email if you've set it to push.

There are times when I don't want to be available to other people. For example having lunch without being disturbed while surfing the interent or while watching a movie would be a nice feature. If a person uses their phones for work then clients can contact you at anytime, so it's nice to have a not available time but still be able to use our iPhones for other things.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I use it every night. I used to use Airplane Mode, but I like the fact calls from favorites can still get through now.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It does have that option. You have to go to Settings>>>Notifications>>>Do not disturb and you'll see a few more options regarding incoming calls.

Yep as above you can add single contacts or a group etc. works well

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I have a problem where it doesn't disable itself all the way sometimes. I can miss messages and calls for an hour or more after its supposed to be off.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One of the most used features for me

Use it all the time but mainly when I'm on nights.., set it for 7am till 3... Works great

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I love this feature. I have it turned on and kept the default settings. Now I do not have to worry about being awakened by people calling me when I don't want to be disturbed. No screen flashing, no vibration, no sound. Perfect.

The scheduled alarms that you set will still ring. You don't want to miss work or class.

I always keep the phone on mute, so during none DND mode, I can have it vibrated. I'll reply as necessary and when it's appropriate.

Don't text while driving and put the phone away especially at a meeting or dining with others. Makes my mind relaxed from all the clutters.

Last edited:

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I think some people here are commenting without knowing how DND works. Imagine that. Numbers on your Favorites list will ring while DND is active. Also a caller who calls twice in 3 minutes will ring. If your just don't want DND just turn it off completely. You are not required to use it.

Seems like reasonable execution to me. Some folks just object to anything.
I get up early and thus go to bed early. Unfortunately some of my friends are exactly the opposite. DND works for me.

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I think some people here are commenting without knowing how DND works. Imagine that. Numbers on your Favorites list will ring while DND is active. Also a caller who calls twice in 3 minutes will ring. If your just don't want DND just turn it off completely. You are not required to use it.

Seems like reasonable execution to me. Some folks just object to anything.
I get up early and thus go to bed early. Unfortunately some of my friends are exactly the opposite. DND works for me.

Some people live an organized life, others have yet to figure out about a lot of things. It's just like the old fashion weekly schedule book.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
It seems like Do Not Disturb is the most underrated feature in iOS 6! While it lacks scheduling based on days of the week (which would make it absolutely perfect) it's basically a third, albeit less accessible, ringer mode. I use it every weekday.

Can you get Phone Weaver on iOS? It sounds like exactly what you're looking for - a totally awesome app that adjusts the ringer tone, volume, wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness etc. etc. based on day of the week, time and even location.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
DND is a step in the right direction, but iOS still needs proper "profiles" with schedules.

This..
When i jumped ship from symbian to android some years ago, i had to have an app that did this. I've used timerrific for nearly four years to turn my phone to vibrate when it gets to the office and quiet overnight.

DND is a good start and hopefully will have iterative improvements to come.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This..
When i jumped ship from symbian to android some years ago, i had to have an app that did this. I've used timerrific for nearly four years to turn my phone to vibrate when it gets to the office and quiet overnight.

DND is a good start and hopefully will have iterative improvements to come.

Yup, and the profiles should hook into other areas such as calendar so if you go into a meeting it can switch to a "meeting" profile automagically.

webwbr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Spot on... and I'd like another way to select the numbers that come thru... I have work and personal contacts in my favorites, I just want to block the work ones. So I had to remove the work contacts from my favorites list and use an third party app to make those contacts bookmarked to the home screen (thus keeping them out of favorites and not ring thru after 10P). It is a work around, but not elegant.

- yes, it needs scheduling

and, my biggest issue...

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Spot on... and I'd like another way to select the numbers that come thru... I have work and personal contacts in my favorites, I just want to block the work ones. So I had to remove the work contacts from my favorites list and use an third party app to make those contacts bookmarked to the home screen (thus keeping them out of favorites and not ring thru after 10P). It is a work around, but not elegant.

You can create another group and just put the people who aren't work into it, and then set that group in DND.

You don't HAVE to use favourites as the group in DND.

I used this to set up new groups on the phone:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/groups/id407855546?mt=8

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I agree with the OP, it's a great feature. I use it every weekend since I tend to sleep in and I don't want any notifications to wake me up. So I usually turn it on before I go to bed, and when I wake up, I turn it off. Works flawlessly for me.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010

But you can have it ignore favorites. The options are allow calls to ring through from Everyone, Favorites, or No One.

Or you can create groups, which I haven't looked into... But possibly you can create a group with just certain people you'd want to get through.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
But you can have it ignore favorites. The options are allow calls to ring through from Everyone, Favorites, or No One.

Or you can create groups, which I haven't looked into... But possibly you can create a group with just certain people you'd want to get through.

You can, see my post above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.