Do not get your engraving done at MacMall

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lexxther, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Lexxther macrumors newbie

I wish I had known the type of engraving MacMall offered ahead of time. I had my iPad 2 engraved by them and I'm very disgusted at the results. I should've purchased and engraved my iPad 2 at the Apple Store instead. Buyer beware!

[​IMG]

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Has that been edited? We don't have mac mall in the UK so I have no idea, but that looks horrific.

3. matttye macrumors 601

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why get it engraved at all, the ugliest thing to do to pretty apple devices is have something written on it. IMO But yeah that is horrible, i'd throw the iPad out ;):p

5. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did they put in an a **GHASP!!!!!** typewriter???????

6. Lexxther thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it engraved thinking I'd get the same font and size that the Apple Store offers. It looks very unprofessional!

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

What would happen if you wanted to sell it someday (Friend or Ebay) and have an engraving done that is not liked by the potential buyer ? Never engrave

8. Lexxther thread starter macrumors newbie

SR45, I am not planning on selling it. I hope it lasts forever though! :)

9. drober30 macrumors 6502a

That is a bummer that your not happy. I would look for a nice case.

10. Lexxther thread starter macrumors newbie

That is next on my list. What type of case would you recommend?

11. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

They want you to engrave it so that it'll be difficult to get a refund. It's not all roses and altruism. There's a business model behind it. And it's more difficult to sell later. Win Win for Apple. It's pretty sly.

12. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

I can personally recommend the SwitchEasy Canvas. I've been nothing but happy with it. I especially love the dock and headphone covers that are included.

13. Lexxther thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a very nice looking case! Thanks for the link!

14. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

I've bought this for my parents.

[​IMG]
    $2, 20

(but the white one instead of the black one)

works great, looks good, feels good.

15. Gol27 macrumors regular

Is it wrong that I kind of like it?
    Not sure on the font but I do quite like the enlarged size. Always thought apples own engraving a tad small.

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

lol...that looks bad. who engraves stuff anymore?!...it's so outdated. i can see maybe a ring or locket, but who does that for electronics.

it's tacky.

17. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

WOW!

I feel sorry for you. that looks horrible.
    My wife and I engraved our gifted iPods to each other one year, from Apple.
    no names, just a neat quote, but boy their service (Mac Mall) is horrible.

did you emil a/call to complain? not that it would help as they most likely won't take it back but perhaps as a customer extend you an option for a free case to cover their mess.

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah, I made that mistake at work once. We ordered a custom engraved iPad from them, assuming that the engraving goes through Apple or something. Didn't realize how fugly it would be.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The font is silly but then again so is the entire engraving.

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If I was taking my $600 device to be engraved (which I wouldn't) I would be damn sure they showed me a proof of exactly what it was going to look like before they did anything. I couldn't imagine just handing it over and saying engrave my name on this for me. They didn't have any samples? I just find it amazing that you had no clue what it would look like or what size it would be until the handed the finished iPad back to you. Crazy!

21. Lexxther, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

Lexxther thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any pictures of it? I'd like to see how fugly it looks!

----------

They did not have any samples like the Apple Store does. I was just under the assumption MacMall would use the same engraving features. Man, I was wrong!

----------

I e-mailed and called them; I even spoke with the Sales Manager and he said that he could not do anything for me. He even lied about their website stating what size and font they used for all their engravings. I can tell you that MacMall has a reputation for having bad Customer Service. They do not believe in "The Customer Is Always Right" statement!

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if you knew this why did you order from them? there are countless threads about how bad MacMall is. I was sold a used iBook one time and they refused to refund my money until i threatened that i would call my credit card company.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i haven't read all the posts... but

yup, this is what macmall does. when this happened to me, i went through the headache of contacting them by phone and complaining (i'm terrible at being demanding...) as calmly as i could. the fact is, at least when i had the problem, the website shows you a preview image of the engraving on the product. and it shows it in a much different font/quality than what you end up getting. now of course it may not match exactly, but when the font is completely different, that's false advertising.

i would call them and complain. ask to speak to higher ups, etc. in my case, i'd ordered from macmall before and been happy. i pointed out i wouldn't order from them again and would encourage all my mac friends to follow suit. obviously the people you speak to aren't to blame, so remember that. but it's a scam, as far as i'm concerned, and you have every right to call them on it. the tough thing is i did it for a couple hundred dollar nano. an ipad is a bigger chunk of change. if you have a lawyer relative/friend, a simple email from them could scare some sense into them. again, this is still assuming they falsely portray the look on their site like they had been back when i ordered years ago

also, this thread isn't about the value of engraving in general, so give that a rest.

24. Akack macrumors 6502a

25. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

All of the above are the reasons I declined engraving when I prdered my ipad 2 on black Friday!......:(