Do not install xcode 4.1!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by starlir, Jul 23, 2011.

1. starlir macrumors newbie

I have been attempting to install Xcode 4.1 from the app store on my iMac, recently upgaded to Lion. On the first two attempts, after 12 hours of waiting to confirm, the install locked the machine and the only way out was to power off. On powering back on the hard disk was trashed but I was able to restore from my Time Machine backup. On the third time I ran the .mpkg installed from within the .app package and again after 12 hours a power off was required. This time I discovered that all my Time Machine backups had been deleted, my SuperDuper clone on a firewire attached drive had been deleted and all the files on two NFS network drives (on a QNAP SAN) had also been deleted. So... despite being 'belt and braces' on backups I am now left with nothing.

If anyone has any experience of recovering from this kind of disaster using Disk Warrior or similar I would be grateful for any advice that you can give. In the meantime I am waiting for an onite visit under Applecare so maybe they can do some recovery. But my advice is do not try this install, there are other discussions about how this install can crash and trash the disk but I haven't seen one where it's trashed all attached drives. Apple have known about this for months, I cannot believe that this code is now freely downloadable with this kind of bug contained within it.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Strange...just installed the newest Xcode last night. ~half hour to download, couple minutes to install.

Not saying I don't believe it, kinda feel lucky now.

3. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I too installed without problems. I'm sorry you had such crappy luck - but can you link to the other threads where the same thing has happened?

4. laurentpompidou macrumors newbie

Installed on old macbook as a test first without problem..

5. starlir thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

That describes problems installing Xcode 4 over Xcode 3 and having difficulties with the installation finishing - but doesn't say it hoses everyone's system so thoroughly as yours. I think you've just had bad luck. Really bad luck. All the best sorting it.

7. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

How could both your backups become deleted? Are you sure it's not just your system not being able to access them? Can you test your backups on another computer?

8. starlir thread starter macrumors newbie

Baryon,

I've checked the backups. I have a MacBook pro and all it sees on the Time Capsule is one corrupted sparse bundle. I've connected the firewire disk to my MBP, it's empty. I've accessed my SAN from the MBP, the two shared folders are empty. The following is a better link if anyone doesn't believe me.....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2784015?start=15&tstart=0