Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
hey guys,

I heard that only the two wireless chargers certified by Apple and sold at Apple stores support the 7.5 watt fast charging. Of course the iPhone must run 11.2.

Is that true or does EVERY qi charger with 7.5 watt charges as fast as apples certified?

Thank you!

Reactions: kingpushup

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have the mophie one but don’t seem like it’s fast charging.

I have both the Belkin one that Apple is selling and the Samsung Qi Fast Charge Stand bought from Amazon. I have no way to verify if they're really charging at 7.5w under 11.2 ...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have the mophie one but don’t seem like it’s fast charging.

1. Fast charging has not been enabled by Apple iOS firmware as of yet, it is rumored to be included in the next release.

2. The two wireless chargers in the Apple stores from Mophie and Belkin have passed Apple's screening and are guaranteed to fast charge when Apple releases the aforementioned iOS update.

That's all we know.

My theory is that besides getting behind two of their largest accessory partners with healthy orders Apple is also concerned about the 100s of third-party wireless chargers that claim fast charging but will not actually fast charge with iPhone 8/X because they either are a) designed for fast charging at a different wattage or b) can fast charge at the right wattage but only using the right USB power supply and almost none of these come with a USB power supply.

I don't think it's coincidence that both the Mophie and the Belkin available at Apple come bundled with their own power supply and don't work with USB adapters. It's the only way to guarantee that consumers won't use a crappy cable or an under-powered adapter.

I myself was recently fooled on Amazon, bought a third-party wireless charger for the kitchen only to find out upon speaking to customer service that it will never be able to fast charge with Apple devices and I'm even having problems getting it to slow charge my iPhone X via a USB adapter I already own.

So it's good that you have the Mophie as it's guaranteed to work and it's a great product (I bought one with my X, love it). But it's not capable of fast charging until iOS 11 is updated again.

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
On the mophie specs it says that if the phone is fast charging it would flash green but it does not do that. I am running 11.2 beta and reading through threads I thought it was confirmed that Wireless Fast Charging is enabled on 11.2 Beta.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
1. Fast charging has not been enabled by Apple iOS firmware as of yet, it is rumored to be included in the next release.

2. The two wireless chargers in the Apple stores from Mophie and Belkin have passed Apple's screening and are guaranteed to fast charge when Apple releases the aforementioned iOS update.

That's all we know.

My theory is that besides getting behind two of their largest accessory partners with healthy orders Apple is also concerned about the 100s of third-party wireless chargers that claim fast charging but will not actually fast charge with iPhone 8/X because they either are a) designed for fast charging at a different wattage or b) can fast charge at the right wattage but only using the right USB power supply and almost none of these come with a USB power supply.

I don't think it's coincidence that both the Mophie and the Belkin available at Apple come bundled with their own power supply and don't work with USB adapters. It's the only way to guarantee that consumers won't use a crappy cable or an under-powered adapter.

I myself was recently fooled on Amazon, bought a third-party wireless charger for the kitchen only to find out upon speaking to customer service that it will never be able to fast charge with Apple devices and I'm even having problems getting it to slow charge my iPhone X via a USB adapter I already own.

So it's good that you have the Mophie as it's guaranteed to work and it's a great product (I bought one with my X, love it). But it's not capable of fast charging until iOS 11 is updated again.

On the mophie specs it says that if the phone is fast charging it would flash green but it does not do that. I am running 11.2 beta and reading through threads I thought it was confirmed that Wireless Fast Charging is enabled on 11.2 Beta.

I don’t know if you two have noticed, but iOS 11.2 final release notes state that it now supports faster wireless charge rate.

7.5W are already enabled in final version of iOS 11.2.

Aknot

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Where did you read that?

On their website it reads:
The wireless charging base has an LED that indicates its charging status:

LED illuminated continuously:
• The wireless device is properly charging.

LED flashing:
• A metallic foreign object (keys, etc.) has been detected on the wireless charging base.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
does the iPad charger support 7.5 watt if I use it with a wireless charging stand?

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Anyone know if the Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger + Fast Wireless Charging Pad will work/fast charge?

Kaisah

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
I have a random QI fast charger and this is painfully slow to charge with both the standard apple plug and also a fast charge rated plug. I believe the issue is the cable itself and not the actual QI pad. IM getting like 4-5% in 20 minutes.

I think only the certified apple USB lead will enable fast charge, and as the cable between the plug and the QI pad is not this, it wont work.

Anyone confirm?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I don’t know if you two have noticed, but iOS 11.2 final release notes state that it now supports faster wireless charge rate.

7.5W are already enabled in final version of iOS 11.2.

The current release is 11.1.2. Are you referring to a beta?

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
It has been said in other threads that if the phone is fast charging, you will hear a double charging ding.

westislander

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec Canada
I bought the Belkin Boost UP wireless charger and it works great. It's pretty much identical to the version Apple sells for $80 Canadian but the difference and advantage is that it only comes in black, it's capable of 15W charging and comes with the appropriate power adapter. Also I paid half price on Black Friday (C$40). If ever Apple chooses to increase the charging rate on future iPhones, I'm covered.

upload_2017-12-4_10-41-54.png

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It has been said in other threads that if the phone is fast charging, you will hear a double charging ding.
The other thread said it only applies to USB-C fast charging with the Apple USB-C charger for the MacBook with the USB-C to lightning cable. Not wireless charging.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With the Mophie charger, there is no secondary charging light to let one know that it is fast charging. If the charging light is on and not blinking, it is charging. One will not see a vast improvement with the Mophie wireless charging.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Should work on any Qi Fast wireless chargers. I have the Samsung one

One would think so, but Apple must have done some sorcery to only allow this to happen on their 2 certified chargers. there is a whole thread with people testing and it doesn't seem to work on any of the amazon, samsung or Ravpower chargers.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
One would think so, but Apple must have done some sorcery to only allow this to happen on their 2 certified chargers. there is a whole thread with people testing and it doesn't seem to work on any of the amazon, samsung or Ravpower chargers.
Is this confirmed not to work?

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Big sites like macrumors and 9to5mac need to Test that!
Or everythingapplepro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.