Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
macbook air 11'?

I'm basically after a macbook air and going to be buying one next week.

the thing is though, i'm wondering if i will notice the difference in performance between the 2010 base and the 2011 base.

My main usage is basically going to be web browsing, watching 720p video, listening to music, some microsoft word and auto cad (no major work as i have another computer).

considering I am only going to be using it for light usage plus some gaming, would i really notice the performance difference?

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Hi i recently switched over from the 2010 base 13" macbook air to the 2011 base 13" macbook air and would most definitely recommend the new model. The speed difference is quite noticeable. :D

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
I have both and the 2010 is fine for what you describe (although both of mine have 4 GB RAM, so that might make a difference). Check the Apple online store to see if there are any great deals on refurbished Airs but also keep in mind the fact that between the educational discount (if you have a student in family) and the upgraded hardware, the 2011 may be the better deal.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
If you need it for video editing and handbrake, the new model is perfect. For average consumer use such as what you stated (not sure about CAD), the 2010 11" is still awesome! It runs cool and the fans only come on fully when viewing intensive applications such as games. Speaking of games, if you plan on playing on OSX than the new model will be fine. Expect a 20-30% drop in framerates if you plan on playing games on Windows.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apart from Autocad, I'd say the 2010 would be almost indistinguishable from the 2011 for the tasks you describe. Since you'll be doing some CAD, I'd recommend getting the 2011 since the CPU is much more powerful. Even the base i5 (with 4GB RAM) would be noticeably quicker. Gaming would be slightly better on the 2010s, particularly on older games that haven't been re-written to take into account the quirks of the HD 3000.

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
I am debating the same issue. I just returned a 2 GB 2010 Mac Air because I want to get a 4 GB model with a larger SSD.

Do I purchase the 2011 or get the 2010 for less cost. I loved the2 GB 2010 in the brief time I had it. It is slower than the 2011's I tried out at the Apple store but I like that it may not have the heat/fan and speaker issues of the new model. Also, I could keep Snow Leopard if I didn't want Lion.

Mostly I want it for surfing the internet and doing small iMovie projects. I also want to run Photoshop Elements, a few other basic photo programs from the Mac store and play a few games like Angry Birds or Bejeweled. Will the 2010 model work fine for those?

The backlit keyboard would be nice but it's not a dealbreaker. I am new to Mac and this wouldn't be my primary machine (I have a souped up PC desktop for heavy tasks).

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I am debating the same issue. I just returned a 2 GB 2010 Mac Air because I want to get a 4 GB model with a larger SSD.

Do I purchase the 2011 or get the 2010 for less cost. I loved the2 GB 2010 in the brief time I had it. It is slower than the 2011's I tried out at the Apple store but I like that it may not have the heat/fan and speaker issues of the new model. Also, I could keep Snow Leopard if I didn't want Lion.

Mostly I want it for surfing the internet and doing small iMovie projects. I also want to run Photoshop Elements, a few other basic photo programs from the Mac store and play a few games like Angry Birds or Bejeweled. Will the 2010 model work fine for those?

The backlit keyboard would be nice but it's not a dealbreaker. I am new to Mac and this wouldn't be my primary machine (I have a souped up PC desktop for heavy tasks).

I use my 2010 MBA for nearly the same things plus some heavier games. Works just fine. Where you would see a difference between the two models is half the import time on iMovie, and shaving a couple of seconds off functions in PSE.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan

I have the 2010 MBA 13" 4GB Ram, I do iMovie projects, Angry Birds, photo work in iPhoto. It does all that and more with no problems. Sure the 2011 will do the iMovie rendering faster, but it works fine for me.

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get the 2010 as it can be purchased alot cheaper right now and that helps me financially. I can sell and upgrade next year when Apple will probably do a major makeover.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Th

I'm probably heading towards the 2011, the main "problem" is AUTOCAD", I'm planning on usin the machine as my full time computer.

The current computer I use is "4gb ram, i3 processor" and it slows down sometimes due to complex designs.

I either get a au$ 960, 2010 mba or a au$ 1160, mba (includes student discount.

Thanks for the imput and this thread could help peoples knowledge and ideas.

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
you got the Mac version of acad? or will be using acad thru a virtual machine or bootcamp in windows? if the vm'ing, definitely get the 2011 or go pro because vm'ing works better with more ram and 4gb is on the edge of usability. 4gb will work, but not as fluid.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm probably heading towards the 2011, the main "problem" is AUTOCAD", I'm planning on usin the machine as my full time computer.

The current computer I use is "4gb ram, i3 processor" and it slows down sometimes due to complex designs.

I think you'll be happy you went with the i5/4GB setup. It is really nice and should keep you going for a while. The Sandy Bridge i5 supports hyperthreading and Turbo Boost, which the i3 you are using doesn't. Sandy Bridge also brought a new microarchitecture that is faster on a GHz-for-GHz basis than the older i3/i5/i7. The i5 in the 2011 Air is achieving similar benchmarks to the i7s that were used in the 2010 MacBook Pro.

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
I'm sure I'll be thought crazy for this but I went ahead and ordered the 2010 Macbook Air 4GB/128 GB. I know I will be happy with the "old school" model (LOL).

schemula

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta
I'm sure I'll be thought crazy for this but I went ahead and ordered the 2010 Macbook Air 4GB/128 GB. I know I will be happy with the "old school" model (LOL).

You will be happy.

I only upgraded for the backlit keyboard, but that was a dumb, and personal decision, lol.

Otherwise I was pretty happy with my 2010 11" 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

and I think the i3 is the i upgrade to the core 2 duo. Then again, the ssd makes a helluva difference in how the mba performs. Maybe do a geekbench of your i3 and compare it to the 2010 and 2011 mba stats.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get the 2010 as it can be purchased alot cheaper right now and that helps me financially. I can sell and upgrade next year when Apple will probably do a major makeover.

I wouldn't be so sure. Remember Apple has kept the MacBook Pro design the same since 2008 because it is just beautiful. Also there is not much I would like to see changed in the MacBook Pro, same with the Air. Although I don't own one now, I will hopefully soon and I don't expect to see an Air that isn't just bumped up specs or non-design features.

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Whatever Apple does is fine with me....if I feel I need to upgrade in the future I'll just sell the 2010 and buy whatever they are offering...

Looking forward to playing with my new computer this weekend (and learning how to use a Mac....)

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
It should arrive Saturday. I called Apple and they said it may be eligible for the Lion update. I don't know if I will do that though....

I updated the OS to Lion on my 2010 Air with 2GB memory and 128 GB SSD. It worked fine and quietly for general use, being connected to a 27" Cinema Display in the clamshell mode. The temperature of its aluminum body was even kept at a very low level. For heavy use, I guess that its temperature will rise greatly and its fan will blow hardly.

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
I did put Lion on the 2GB/64 GB Macbook Air I tried out last week and it also worked fine. The fans ramped up when it did initial indexing. It was silent and cool after that...even when I did a few iMovies and played some basic games.

Overall, I'll probably install it on the new one this weekend if I can still get the free download...

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
apart from autocad, i'd say the 2010 would be almost indistinguishable from the 2011 for the tasks you describe. Since you'll be doing some cad, i'd recommend getting the 2011 since the cpu is much more powerful. Even the base i5 (with 4gb ram) would be noticeably quicker. Gaming would be slightly better on the 2010s, particularly on older games that haven't been re-written to take into account the quirks of the hd 3000.

+1

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Spending the extra couple of hundred now will save you in the long run, if you plan on keeping it a couple of years.

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Recieved my 4GB/128GB Macbook Air 2010 refurb today and it's fantastic! It's faster than the 2GB model I just returned. Probably due to the better processor and more ram. It also has the Samsung SSD so maybe that also helps.

It also has the Samsung LCD display which looks a little more saturated than the previous model which had the Toshiba LCD (and Toshiba SSD).

Overall I am very happy with my "old school" machine--downloading Photoshop as we speak. Hopefully I can get the free Lion upgrade for this one (I had it for the one last week)...

Thanks to all who gave info on their experiences with the 2010 version...

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Hopefully I can get the free Lion upgrade for this one (I had it for the one last week)...

You might want to wait on the Lion upgrade, seems to cause shorter battery life according to some posters, but check the Lion forum to make sure it's what you want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.