Do People Still Use Dashboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dmac77, Apr 2, 2011.

?

Do you still use Dashboard?

1. Frequently

35.5%
  2. Occasionally

25.8%
  3. Almost Never

26.9%
  4. I Have Never Used Dashboard

11.8%
  1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Today I accidentally engaged dashboard on my iMac, and it got me thinking about how long it had been since I used Dashboard; I realized it was before the 1st of the year.

Personally I find that Dashboard runs slowly for me under Snow Leopard (on a mid '07 iMac), but today when I engaged it under Lion it was fairly snappy, so that kills one of my chief complaints regarding Dashboard. I normally find it faster to just call up the calculator or pretty much any other quick reference app from spotlight (or Launchpad). Also after realizing how much RAM some widgets suck I pretty much disabled all of my Widgets about six months ago.

So do you still use Dashboard? If so why, and for what? If you don't use it frequently anymore, why don't you?

-Don

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hell yes. They better not ever take that away.
    Dashboard works perfectly fine on my Mac (preinstalled with 10.6).

I use it to take small notes, for iStat Pro, weather, times across different zones, and I like having the movie icon.

3. gameface macrumors 6502

No I don't. But I also admit that the quick swipe left on my laptop trackpad in Lion bringing it up quickly may make me rethink my opinion on it. As of now, I haven't really "used" it in years.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My wife does. I use my iPhone now for everything I used to use Dashboard for.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Exactly the same for me. I only used to use Dashboard for weather and stocks, and now both of those are followed much easier on the iPhone.

I do, however, think that Dashboard still has its place. If you're clever, you can use it for several nifty things, especially if you're trying to teach a new Mac user how to use OS X.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I use Stickies on Dashboard during phone calls to take quick notes.
    I have a VAT calculator that I use frequently.
    I also have a few Webclip widgets that I created.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I use it for quick access to iStat, calculator and calendar :cool:

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

All the time for things like webclip, stickies, and lavalamp :)

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I use Dashboard everyday since it became a feature in OS X. I use it for ESPN scoreboards, weather maps, iStat Pro, Time Map, and Currency Converter. I mostly use it for the quick access to score updates for the day's games.

10. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You know, now that I think about it, I probably do this more frequently than using Launchpad or Spotlight. I really didn't even think about it until you mentioned it.

-Don

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hardly use it and wouldn't mind if apple just removed it. Osx has been getting bloated now for the past fer versions. Having applemtrim out the fat would be nice and this is one area that contributes to the bloat

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Yes! Quick access to weather and scores, and on bad days, the date.

13. morinetti macrumors newbie

morinetti

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I use it often. I have a set of Timers on it counting down to good events in my life, weather, iCal events and a translator.

15. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i use it daily. most used widgets are stickies, istat pro, conversions, calculator, weather, tv listings, woot status, and weather... i also have apps that are synced with my iphone, but it's so much more convenient to just hit F4 than to find and taptaptap the iphone.

16. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Weather every now and then, plus I have a few world clocks up there.

17. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

wait, im confused, you mean dashboard does more than display istat ? :confused:

18. Audi1910 macrumors newbie

Oh yeah!!! pretty much every time i use my MBP. Hope it never goes away. I used to use it alot in my old mac mini(with 3rd party keyboard), but now use it even more with the dashboard button on the keyboard.

I mainly use it for stocks, weather, the awesome iStats Pro app and also for a couple more which are very usefull, ScreenshotPlus, the FlightTracker and the CountdownX.

Hope it will never goes away.

It feels like a bit of iOS on Mac OX to be honest, just wish the apps developed for the iPhone/iPad were developed for the Dashboard.

19. mtansley macrumors newbie

For me, its very useful.

Calculator, istat pro, clock, calendar, dictionary, three Weather Network locations, web clip from Toronto Fire Services showing latest callouts, and the isale app to show status of my latest ebay auctions.

20. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Hardly ever. The only real reason I flip to it is for iStat and to see if my computer is running hot/something is using up a lot of CPU.

Aside from that, I can't really see any use for it as my phone potentially does everything that it can do.

21. WildGuess macrumors regular

I use it for a great package tracking App, Delivery Status touch. Syncs with computer, pad, pod and phone through Junecloud.

22. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I use it about 4 time per week for Stocks and a Comic strip, Lio.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Very, very rarely. Sometimes I use it to translate things, but I find it's translator pretty inaccurate so I usually just use Google.

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

25. Tharian macrumors regular

I completely agree. In 10.7 it just seems much more accessible, and I've been using it very frequently. Before 10.7 I never really used it.

-d