Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I have been reading some of the forums about new graphics that may or may not be integrated etc on the upcoming MBPs. Do the current Sandy Bridge processors have dedicated graphics? or is it integrated?

Are the new ones likely to be integrated or dedicated, anyone hear anything about it?

I am looking to buy the top end MBP for a desktop replacement (gaming machine also) World of Warcrack. So I know it is likely in my best interest to get a dedicated graphics.

Thanks.

WW

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
As always, the 15" and above have dedicated graphics. 13" and below (also applies to Macbook Air) don't. That hasn't changed at least since Apple switched to Intel.

Ivy Bridge shouldn't be any different.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
As always, the 15" and above have dedicated graphics. 13" and below (also applies to Macbook Air) don't. That hasn't changed at least since Apple switched to Intel.

Thanks!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

There was a low end 15" that only had integrated graphics...

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
There was a low end 15" that only had integrated graphics...

Which one are you talking about? I was looking through MacTracker and couldnt find one. The first MacBook Pro's came with the X1600, then the 2008 model came with the 8600M. Late 2008 15" were equipped with 9600m and 9400m together. And in mid 2009, 2.53ghz 15" came with 9400m only. Until Mid 2010 which was 330m and intel HD graphics.

EDIT: seems to be that the 9400m is integrated and not dedicated. my bad.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1009941/

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the correction. Seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

True, and I hope it remains an exception. With Apple's trend of dropping the optical drive (Air, Mini), hopefully in the 13" Pro laptops they'll use that space to put in a reasonably good dedicated GPU.

I'd hate to see the new 2012 redesigned Pros to be thinner thanks to no optical drive, but nothing taking advantage of that extra space.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd hate to see the new 2012 redesigned Pros to be thinner thanks to no optical drive, but nothing taking advantage of that extra space.
If apple decides to release a 15" MBA, then I'd say the odds are high that the MBP will retain the optical drive. If we don't hear anything about the MBA from apple, then all bets are off.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If apple decides to release a 15" MBA, then I'd say the odds are high that the MBP will retain the optical drive. If we don't hear anything about the MBA from apple, then all bets are off.

I don't think it will. They've got a USB external optical drive that they sell, so anyone who needs it still has a (less convenient) option.

But then, we can debate if the 15" Air rumour is actually an Air, or whether this is the redesigned MacBook Pro that Steve Jobs indicated when they released the redesigned Air (this is the future of notebooks).

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I believe the 2009-2010 13" MBPs had discrete graphics but alas the current ones do not. Currently all 15" and 17" models have discrete graphics.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I believe the 2009-2010 13" MBPs had discrete graphics but alas the current ones do not. Currently all 15" and 17" models have discrete graphics.

No. The C2D 13" MBP used the nVidia 9400M and later the 320M which were integrated into the chipset. They were very good for integrated graphics and are arguably quicker than the current Intel HD 3000.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

The 13'' MBP never had discrete graphics. The 2009/2010 models had integrated Nvidia GPUs, while now they have integrated Intel GPUs.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
True, and I hope it remains an exception. With Apple's trend of dropping the optical drive (Air, Mini), hopefully in the 13" Pro laptops they'll use that space to put in a reasonably good dedicated GPU.

I believe that Apple were to go hyper-resolution displays (double what we have now, so 2560 x 1600 on 13"), then they must put in a dedicated GPU in the 13". Integrated Intel graphics simply isn't up to the task. Even if Intel GPU is fast enough to drive the interface, they're not fast enough to drive any worthwhile 3D application (namely games) at that resolution. Considering the Mac App Store is getting more... populated by the day, it only makes sense for Apple to make this move. It'll also draw a nice line between the Pro and the Air.

I don't think a 15" MBA makes sense. At least not with an aluminum body. I had a 13" MBA, and the thing felt really flimsy. It was... bendy, to say the least. Making the body wider would just make things worse for Apple. Perhaps that was why they scratched the 15" MBA off of the list and went 11.6" + 13" instead.

If the next MBP uses carbon fiber, then perhaps a 15" Air would make sense, but as it is right now, I don't think the 15" Air exists at all.

What I think is likely to happen, is that Apple would remove the OD, spread the motherboard across the extra space, move to flash storage (128GB, 256GB, or 512GB config) as main OS drive and second HDD as data storage, then make the battery flatter. The body can taper down slightly and be a bit thinner, thus making the whole package lighter. I'm expecting something like a 0.9" MBP 15" at 4.8lbs. That'll be a significant saving for Apple, and still makes for a nice update alongside Ivy Bridge and a new GPU.

They can reuse bits and pieces of the Macbook Air, so it'll still converge without making it look like the Pro line is being replaced by the Air.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I believe that Apple were to go hyper-resolution displays (double what we have now, so 2560 x 1600 on 13"), then they must put in a dedicated GPU in the 13". Integrated Intel graphics simply isn't up to the task. Even if Intel GPU is fast enough to drive the interface, they're not fast enough to drive any worthwhile 3D application (namely games) at that resolution. Considering the Mac App Store is getting more... populated by the day, it only makes sense for Apple to make this move. It'll also draw a nice line between the Pro and the Air.

For games, you'd lower the resolution back to 1280x800 anyway. Things would look as sharp as they do right now on the 13" display. No games would take advantage of that super high resolution anyway, and when they finally do, we'll be a couple of revisions down the line.

But I do hope we see the end of integrated graphics..

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
End of? Highly unlikely as it's part of the CPU. Perhaps Apple will supplement them with an additional discrete chip as with the 15" upwards but I wouldn't bank on it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Never will happen as long as intel build chipsets with them on the same silicon as CPUs.

Ivy Bridge has an improved integrated graphics controller, unless they have a change of heart integrated GPUs are not going away

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Never will happen as long as intel build chipsets with them on the same silicon as CPUs.

Ivy Bridge has an improved integrated graphics controller, unless they have a change of heart integrated GPUs are not going away

say goodbye to your battery life then. you know, the one that apple doesn't want you to replace or have spares for easy switching anymore.

I was meaning as the sole GPU. Of course having an integrated GPU as well as dedicated one will mean we get better battery life for when we don't need the dedicated one.

I'll rephrase, hopefully we'll see an end to integrated GPUs as the sole GPU on the 13" Pro.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
For games, you'd lower the resolution back to 1280x800 anyway. Things would look as sharp as they do right now on the 13" display. No games would take advantage of that super high resolution anyway, and when they finally do, we'll be a couple of revisions down the line.

Actually, most 3D games made around this time period do take advantage of those hyper resolutions. The usual suspects are of course Call of Duty and Battlefield and so on...

Plus you have the Gameloft titles in the App Store.

Disregarding games, you'll still need a lot of GPU power to do 3D modeling and other things at that resolution. The Macbook Pro line is for professional work, so I wouldn't rule out 3D modeling.

I don't think integrated graphics will ever end, but it's quickly becoming less powerful for what Apple is trying to do.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I was meaning as the sole GPU. Of course having an integrated GPU as well as dedicated one will mean we get better battery life for when we don't need the dedicated one.

I'll rephrase, hopefully we'll see an end to integrated GPUs as the sole GPU on the 13" Pro.

I see the opposite. A dedicated GPU on a laptop becomes more and more obsolete. Ivy will support full openGL/CL and the latest directX. Eventually I think we will see dedicated GPUs only in high end gaming laptops.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Actually, most 3D games made around this time period do take advantage of those hyper resolutions. The usual suspects are of course Call of Duty and Battlefield and so on...

Plus you have the Gameloft titles in the App Store.

Elements will be tiny though at that resolution.

The Macbook Pro line is for professional work...

You've fallen for Apple's marketing..

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Elements will be tiny though at that resolution.

Most games scale their elements up, so elements are proportional to aspect ratio rather than resolution.

Apps in OSX are going to be pixel-doubled, so they would be at the same size as before, but a lot sharper.

You've fallen for Apple's marketing..

I don't think so. The Pro is a good work machine. Not a beastly drafting machine by my standard, but still a good all-rounder, and AutoCAD on Mac is actually more promising than Windows in terms of UI design and the implementation of the trackpad.

I'm sure there are more things on the Mac that other professionals use and enjoy as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.