Do the free 5GB of iCloud include Backups?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iJcaP, Jun 13, 2011.

1. iJcaP macrumors 6502

I was wondering for those who have the iOS 5 Beta, does the 5GB of free storage include the wireless Backups of the iDevice? Or does it count as something separate?

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06icloud.html

"Users get up to 5GB of free storage for their mail, documents and backup—which is more amazing since the storage for music, apps and books purchased from Apple, and the storage required by Photo Stream doesn’t count towards this 5GB total."

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The only portion that is amazing is the fact that if you have a lot of music they don't have, they will make space for the uploads..more than likely it's just away to see what's missing from iTunes,,

For the rest of it, apps music and books, well..they re all up there, they aren't making copies to a digital locker, they're flagging things, I'd guess in some database or similar.

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Yes they will make space for music you haven't bought for iTunes, but this will cost $25 / year, what's amazing about that? (unless you the fella with the 20,000 songs Jobs was talking about).

For the iTunes music they aren't backing up your music, just a list of the tracks, and that really doesn't take up much space at all.

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

It's not just the apps themselves but the info and stuff in the apps.

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Wow how can you complain about $25.00 per year?
    Do you really expect all this for free?

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Sorta... I mean, they aren't keeping game saves are they?

I think match is a great service for $25 a year...but there are two pov's

Apple is monetizing piracy or Apple is finding a way to charge you for something you already own.

I don't really subscribe to either, I do think tha's an excellent service.

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

Third point-of-view: Apple is charging $25/yr to deliver any of your music to any WiFi source you happen to find, on-demand.

9. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Not so much monetizing on piracy, but recovering money lost due to piracy. and for $25 I'm on board... As long as Canada doesn't get the shaft.

10. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I am actually wondering whether the app data counts towards 5GB limit.. I have GoodPlayer on my iPad with 20GB worth of AVI videos in that app's storage. Will Apple really backup 20GB of that data into iCloud "at no cost"? If not, how is it determined which apps get their data backed up, and which don't?

11. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Since their not doing any movies or video at all right now I would say no their not.
    There may be an option at some point but that will be a paid one for sure.

12. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

"they're" ;)

3rd-party app data is 3rd-party app data - Apple has no way of identifying whether it's video, photos, PDFs, or whatever else.

13. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Oops yes you're right :eek:

14. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I'm sure that's easy for them to code into the program, you know filter out this or that.

15. Fissure macrumors 6502

So how you can't really cut the cord or go PC free if you have App Data, Videos etc. Sounds nice for what it provides but a lot of people have that kind of data and they'll be PC synching just as before albeit perhaps not as often.

Scenario though:
    Backup my iOS device to the cloud
    Lose my iOS device and buy a new one
    Restore new iOS from backup in the cloud
    Use cable to connect iOS device to PC/MAC
    Restore Movies/Videos from iTunes on PC
    Where's my App Data (embedded PDF's etc.)?

Gone I believe as the cloud backup will contain only the actual App and not it's embedded data.

Cord Free and PC Free not quite there, but it's a start.

16. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

No I actually think this is where the Time Capsule / Airport Extreme rumor comes in.
    It would be a good alternative to iCloud and could you imagine having to synch 200 or so movies to iCloud, it would take weeks to upload.
    It be much easier to copy them to a time capsule or a hard drive on a extreme.

However I don't know for sure and am just gussing at what would make the most sense to me.

17. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

No one here has received an email from Apple/Icloud informing you about nearing your storage capacity and you might want to consider purchasing more space?

18. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Guessing is creating FUD on this thread.

iCloud backups contain all the information an iTunes backup holds. This means if the app decides to put videos/music in an area of its sandbox that is backed up, it will get backed up to iCloud. This is not ideal for some because their backups will be huge, and the first backup will take forever to move so much data.

There is a pane where you can fine-tune which apps backup to iCloud, and let you exclude apps where you can restore data from another source (like your PC for PDFs/etc). But this is optional and up to the user.

19. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Since you speak with such certainty - do you have any evidence for your statement that you can point us to?

In my example above - my GoodPlayer sandbox contains ~20GB of videos. How does that reconcile with 5GB iCloud per-user cap? Or are you saying Apple will simply not count the iTunes backups towards the 5GB cap?

20. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

No, it's not "easy". Many apps encrypt their local sandboxes, so nothing outside the sandbox can see what type of data it is. Anyway, you've entered the realm of wild speculation at this point.

21. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Plus, he roots for Duke. Can't trust a word he says ;)

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This is the one thing about the backup that I have yet to get clarification on.
    Is it like iTunes is now, where, if I deleted Infinity Blade from my iPad, and backed up to local iTunes, the data within the app is lost?
    I hope it's more a case of Game Centre backing up game progress(achievements and that crap mean nothing to me) and keeping it there, wether I later delete the game or not, so if I wanted to play on my iPad, then continue on my iPhone, I could.

23. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

That should be Game Center's (;)) first and foremost purpose. I love that games like Galaxy on Fire 2 can back up the save game to Open Feint, and then load from there, so you can switch from iPhone to iPad, etc.

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Agreed. Firemint(who make Real Racing 2) have it working perfectly, using your Game Center login.
    I can play on the iPad and continue via my iPhone, when the iPad isn't available/ideal. It should be a default thing for every game(via GC) and app(via the normal backup).

25. hustmobile, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

hustmobile macrumors 6502

For older GoodPlayer version (2.2 and older) , the movies will be backed up to iCloud&iTunes local backup. A French user kindly tested it. Of course his movies is not over 5GB limitation.
    For the 2.3 version and later (2.3 GoodPlayer just released to App Store today), there is blocker for iTunes Sync file backup feature added. With this feature , the GoodPlayer movie files can be kept away form iTunes backup. And it should be kept away from iCloud (still waiting for the French user's feedback on this)