Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
MacBooks do indeed have crappy screens. They use TN panels, which are the worst. For the premium price that Apple charges, they should be putting in S-IPS panels instead.

not to sound like a fan boy in defense of apple, but the panels apple are using for the macbook are fairly standard for that class of laptops. screen quality is also a way to differentiate between MacBook and MacBook Pro/Air.

the premium price you are paying is for the actual design of the computer and the OS.

Macmel

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
this is OT... but a corvette is in a totally different class of car. Corvettes are sports cars and Lambo's are exotic cars, bad comparison :p

Yeah, Corvettes are sport cars (what americans understand by that) and Lambo's are sport cars with style. A Lamborghini kicks Corvette's ass anyday, anytime.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
not to sound like a fan boy in defense of apple, but the panels apple are using for the macbook are fairly standard for that class of laptops. screen quality is also a way to differentiate between MacBook and MacBook Pro/Air.

the premium price you are paying is for the actual design of the computer and the OS.

The class being up to the $600 range? Considering how expensive the MacBook is, it is inexcusable to put in crap panels. Maybe in the White MacBook, but not in the Unibody ones. Who cares how beautiful a laptop looks exterior wise if the screen is poor?

If they lowered the MacBook prices, and introduced a 13" MacBook Pro, then I guess that'd help a lot of this. Generally, people who buy MacBook's don't really notice/care if the screen isn't as good. But there is a lot of people who buy a MacBook because they need a 13" screen (and the Air isn't powerful enough for their needs).

13" MacBook Pro is at the top of my wish list from Apple.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
The class being up to the $600 range? Considering how expensive the MacBook is, it is inexcusable to put in crap panels. Maybe in the White MacBook, but not in the Unibody ones. Who cares how beautiful a laptop looks exterior wise if the screen is poor?

If they lowered the MacBook prices, and introduced a 13" MacBook Pro, then I guess that'd help a lot of this. Generally, people who buy MacBook's don't really notice/care if the screen isn't as good. But there is a lot of people who buy a MacBook because they need a 13" screen (and the Air isn't powerful enough for their needs).

13" MacBook Pro is at the top of my wish list from Apple.

as far as i know, the unibody panels are better than the previous generation white macbook.

i agree that the most fundamental part of the computer is the screen. keeping in mind that customers pay the premium for the design (physical and GUI/OS), it doesn't make sense from a design perspective for apple to cheap out on the screen and offer the standard set. i believe it's their current sour note.

i know i've personally went from modest fanboy to sending them hate mail (well, emails of discouragement) during a few weeks last year when i had to return 3 brand new 24" iMacs, one after the other, because of screen issues.

Psychmike

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
MacBooks do indeed have crappy screens. They use TN panels, which are the worst. For the premium price that Apple charges, they should be putting in S-IPS panels instead.

And exactly what kinds of screens do Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs use? Manufacturers use TN screens not only because they're cheaper but also because they tend to use less power than other LCD technologies.

I have a Dell Ultra Sharp at home and love its quality, but the Macbook screen is fine. Before I bought it, I spent some time at the store, bemoaning the vertical viewing angle but it really has been fine for me. Yes, I've had to adjust the angle to avoid glare but it's pretty easy to adjust the screen to the appropriate viewing angle by tilting it up and down. The biggest criticism I have of the screen is viewing predominantly black scenes in movies but I don't watch that many movies on my laptop, I work on it. For users with similar needs, get the Macbook, you won't regret it. It's just about having the right expectations. I've spent a lot of time in front of the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro screens (15") and they aren't THAT much better.

For a REAL difference, check out the 20" and 24" iMacs. THERE you'll see the difference between TN and IPS (or similar) screens.

Mike

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
as far as i know, the unibody panels are better than the previous generation white macbook.

i agree that the most fundamental part of the computer is the screen. keeping in mind that customers pay the premium for the design (physical and GUI/OS), it doesn't make sense from a design perspective for apple to cheap out on the screen and offer the standard set. i believe it's their current sour note.

The Unibodies do have better displays than the WhiteBook yes. I wouldn't say we pay a premium price either in the case of the MacBook Pro. It is really just the MacBook that is overpriced because of the poor screen (and arguably FireWire).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The viewing angle isn't great, but when you look at the MB head-on, the quality is outstanding.

Not really.. stick an Air, a Pro and a MacBook side-by-side and watch the same movie at the same time. The MacBook has a gradient and the colours aren't very rich/deep.

Bit mis-leading to say the quality is "outstanding" because it really isn't..

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
And exactly what kinds of screens do Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs use? Manufacturers use TN screens not only because they're cheaper but also because they tend to use less power than other LCD technologies.

I have a Dell Ultra Sharp at home and love its quality, but the Macbook screen is fine. Before I bought it, I spent some time at the store, bemoaning the vertical viewing angle but it really has been fine for me. Yes, I've had to adjust the angle to avoid glare but it's pretty easy to adjust the screen to the appropriate viewing angle by tilting it up and down. The biggest criticism I have of the screen is viewing predominantly black scenes in movies but I don't watch that many movies on my laptop, I work on it. For users with similar needs, get the Macbook, you won't regret it. It's just about having the right expectations. I've spent a lot of time in front of the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro screens (15") and they aren't THAT much better.

For a REAL difference, check out the 20" and 24" iMacs. THERE you'll see the difference between TN and IPS (or similar) screens.

Mike

I was puzzled about what computer to buy between MB or MBP for girlfriend, who is just starting her DOC.

I was looking at the MB and MBP side by side and couldn't really notice a difference beside the bigger screen. Also, I never watch movies (neither does my girlfriend) on my current laptop, I use PS3 for that. So I decided to go with the MB. I am however waiting for the free iPod touch so didn't buy it yet, anyway she needs it for September.

But the thing is I am also looking for a new computer. I found the iMac 24" to have such better screen! I thought it might be just the size, but the colors and brightness seemed such of better quality, even compared to the MBP.

So I thought... If you need a laptop, get the MB, if you need better graphics and processor, get the iMac. Or get both. I believe the MBP to be much over priced for what it does.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I was puzzled about what computer to buy between MB or MBP for girlfriend, who is just starting her DOC.

I was looking at the MB and MBP side by side and couldn't really notice a difference beside the bigger screen. Also, I never watch movies (neither does my girlfriend) on my current laptop, I use PS3 for that. So I decided to go with the MB. I am however waiting for the free iPod touch so didn't buy it yet, anyway she needs it for September.

But the thing is I am also looking for a new computer. I found the iMac 24" to have such better screen! I thought it might be just the size, but the colors and brightness seemed such of better quality, even compared to the MBP.

So I thought... If you need a laptop, get the MB, if you need better graphics and processor, get the iMac. Or get both. I believe the MBP to be much over priced for what it does.
You really didnt notice a difference between the screens side by side? When I saw a MBP I was stunned at how much better the screen was. I didnt think I would notice and figured it was being blown out of proportion on these boards, but it really was obvious.

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
You really didnt notice a difference between the screens side by side? When I saw a MBP I was stunned at how much better the screen was. I didnt think I would notice and figured it was being blown out of proportion on these boards, but it really was obvious.

nah I didn't, but then it was maybe the futureshop's lighting... Maybe that I just didn't look at the right place, but for office and internet use, no difference to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.