Do the Macbooks have crappy screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pyromaniaque, Mar 19, 2009.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

I'm debating on whether to get a Macbook or Pro, but what's holding me me back is screen quality and resolution.

Is the Macbook screen good enough for movies?

Does anyone have any pictures comparing it to the Macbook Pro?

2. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I'm very happy with my MB screen, but then again I'm not a "pro" user. I don't think pictures do screens justice, they can seem better/worse than they really are. You really should see and compare them in person.

3. waiwai macrumors regular

depends...

if ur just viewing dvds... then yah they're fine... just u won't get the "HD" experience due to the low res of the screen.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I prefer the MBP screen to the MB, but I own a MB. If I were to purchase again soon, I would definitely get the Pro. Go to a local reseller if you can and check out if you can live with the MB screen. On a purchase this significant, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

5. JHatch macrumors newbie

JHatch

I picked up my unibody MacBook a little over a week after release. I had read on here how the screens weren't that great. I figured it was really no big deal, as folk are kind of picky in these parts.

That being said, after using this notebook for what must be nearing a near half year, I'd say the screen is the only thing I really can't stand about my MacBook.

It's not so bad when you're browsing, typing, anything like that. But, you mentioned movies.

It really is abhorrent when it comes to watching videos. It really makes me wish I had sprung the extra cash at the time and gotten the entry-level MBP (which has much better blacks and viewing angles).

The MB screen has really light blacks, and low contrast levels between the blacks. It makes watching dark scenes in movies quite a chore. I've fiddled with all my color settings, and even at optimum calibration it's still balls bad.

Worse yet, if I have my head at an odd angle (say on a pillow), sometimes I get odd inversion on some parts of the screen, just because of the angle one of my eyes is viewing it from.

If you don't need the 13.3-inch portability of the MB, then definitely go for the 15.6 MBP.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

7. Doju macrumors 68000

It's terrific if you haven't used a screen with incredible quality. For example, I came from a crappy Compaq laptop with a horrid screen, so I think the MacBook screen is stunning.

But, the MBA is definitely better, per say.

Though, people really blow it out of proportion. The MB screen does NOT suck, it's just inferior to others. I quite like it. A Corvette is inferior to a Lamborghini, but is it not still nice? ;)

8. waiwai macrumors regular

this is OT... but a corvette is in a totally different class of car. Corvettes are sports cars and Lambo's are exotic cars, bad comparison :p

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I couldn't stand it.

Readers complain about the 20" iMac screen, but to me the contrast change of the 20" imac screen is not noticeable in everyday use. It's only noticeable if you do some tests or look very closely.

However, the lack of quality in the MB screen is very noticeable in everyday use. You shift slightly and the contrast changes.

The new MB screens are a bit better because of the LED and glass. They pop a bit more, but it's the same panel. The MBA screen is much better.

I returned my black MB last year because of this.

I will say it's probably not worse than most laptop screens.

10. raremage macrumors 6502a

I switched from a prior-gen MBP (15" 2.5) to a new MB last week - portability has become a premium for me.

The screen quality on this newest version for me, but viewing angle is exceptionally important. Looking from any angle other than straight on, I can definitely see how watching a movie would be painful.

For day to day use, so far I find it to be just fine.

11. kabunaru Guest

If you calibrate the MacBook screen, it will look good enough.
    The default colour profile is really a bad example. Apple should change their default colour profiles on their Macs.

12. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I don't think it's good enough for movies, and it's about the only major issue I have against my Macbook, but take a look at these pictures and decide for yourself.

MB on the left, MBP on the right:

[​IMG]

MBP on the left, MB on the right:

[​IMG]

MB on the left, MBP on the right:

[​IMG]

13. gerabbi macrumors regular

The screen is too reflective imho, but with calibration it's really not bad.

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yes, it's good enough but it doesn't look all that great compared with the Air/Pro screens. I wish the Whitebook had the Air screen. I would buy it immediately if it did.

15. raremage macrumors 6502a

This looks much worse than it is - the results are definitely impacted by viewing angle, and those pics are showing a lousy angle for Macbook viewing.

16. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Yeah I wonder if I even have the same computer.

17. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

My one certainly has. Not all of them seem to be as bad though. There are 2 other white macbooks in my flat and they are all different, but my one seems to be the worse.

18. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea I would say the person who posted these pics is probably biased to the MacBook Pro.

To the OP, the screen will be fine. It's not the best in the world but it's not like you'll be like "oh my god I dont even wanna look at it"

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you're judging screen quality for watching movies, get the MBP. No doubt.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

go to a store and look. i knew that i wanted a Pro but i heard that this was an issue so i took a look at them. i noticed a big difference.

i think a better car analogy would be the difference between a Honda and an Acura, or a Toyota and a Lexus, Nissan and Infinity, ect ect.

21. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

In my experience, the screen on the pro and the air are better than the MB (as you might expect by price). That said, I've been really happy with my MB screen. The viewing angle in those images is ridiculous—who uses a laptop from the side? Though, even from an angle it looks nowhere near that bad to me. My wife and I occasionally watch movies in bed on my laptop and it's fine for both of us, without requiring us to lay inches apart.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- the screens are crappy. That said, I'm the happy owner of a last rev BlackBook. I don't need the screen to be great, it's just for portability.

23. lazydesi macrumors 6502

24. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The pictures show exactly how it looks. It's not like those pictures were photoshopped or anything. To claim otherwise is to be willfully ignorant of reality.

If it's such a lousy angle than how come at the exact same angle the MBP and MBA screens still look great? Could it be the viewing angles aren't lousy, but the screen is lousy? No, that would make too much sense.

I'm not really biased towards the MBP. Otherwise I probably would own one instead of a MB and a MBA. The only area I think the MB loses to the other machines is the screen. Everything else about the MB I prefer over the MBP. But I can't sit here and honestly say the MB is good for movies, because unless you have horribly low standards, even watching a movie on a 10 year old 13 inch CRT television you could pick up for $20 at a garage sale would result in better quality.

25. thesmoth macrumors 6502

My girlfriend has a white MB (2.4 ghz, 2 gigs of ram, intel graphics) she got it 1 year ago. It is the newest model before the aluminum ones came out.

Can I use the screen profiles you guys posted above for her notebook, or are they custom for the UMB? Any links to good profiles for the whitebooks?

Thanks!

PS I hope next october when they update the macbooks they will put in the same screens as the air. It would make sense for apple to do this, since they would get a better bulk price on buying the same screens for both the air and the MB, instead of buying different types for each. This would also make people way happier since everyone is complaining about the UMB screens.

Give me that and USB 3.0 and i'll be happy.