Do we need new phone releases every year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pnr2020, Sep 11, 2017.

?

New phone every

1. 1 year

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. 2 years

49 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

I personally think new phones should released every 2 years. The reason is apple production delays and they didn't have time to figure out fingerprint scanner under screen. Same with Samsung they rushed and put fingerprint scanner in stupid place. And months of telling us how great bixby was and it didn't come to phones until months later. I think they rush these new phones and the user suffers

2. gadget123 macrumors 68020

And how would you propose launching all phones at the same time? By the time Apple kept there phones two years Samsung would be a mile ahead.

Perhaps you don't like buying new phones every year but I think that's long enough.

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yes, Apple is a business and would like to sell you more phones. Doing so every year accomplishes that.

4. profets macrumors 601

Can we get over this supposed touch ID under the screen? Maybe the back and forth leaks about whether they had it working or not were intentional to keep Face ID under wraps (before all the firmware leaks anyway).

I think continuous hardware updates are good. But I don't think we need to have design changes so frequently.

5. michael9891 macrumors 65816

Yes. I don't want to have the same phone for 2 years. And how have Samsung rushed things because of the fingerprint sensor location? Hasn't it been there for a couple of years now? They decided it should go there, it's nothing to do with rushing things.

6. profets macrumors 601

I think he was referring to how it sits right next to the camera and results in people constantly touching the lens.

7. cryptonator macrumors member

cryptonator

I don't care what Apple does.

All I care about is having enough discipline to not buy every new release iPhone that comes out ;).

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think a series of good phones every 2 years would be fine. Apple tend to stall features to justify yearly releases and that's good for profit I suppose. Their profit is of no interest to me though, I just want good quality and sensibly priced products.

9. Pnr2020 thread starter macrumors regular

Pnr2020

It's only been there since the s8 And it's a real pain. It's hard to reach does not work every time. Also causes smudges on camera where it's located right next to camera lens
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    I was mate it's a real pain where it is located

10. michael9891 macrumors 65816

That's just a poor decision on placement by Samsung, not because they've rushed things.

11. Cakefish macrumors 6502a

Cakefish

Need? No. Not in a literal sense.

Want? Yes. Whenever people are ready for an upgrade they expect a relatively newish phone available to buy. Not everyone is going to want to buy last year's technology.

12. Pnr2020 thread starter macrumors regular

Pnr2020

Not sure about that. I know both apple and Samsung wanted Touch ID under the screen but couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly. Maybe in a year they might figure it out

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

14. Pnr2020 thread starter macrumors regular

Pnr2020

The reason I said 2 years is because most people can only upgrade every 2 years if on a contract

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

No, we absolutely do not. But Apple is a business. I don't blame them for wanting to sell things.

16. gadget123 macrumors 68020

If you buy a contract that's standard. That's why I buy sim free.

17. Pnr2020 thread starter macrumors regular

Pnr2020

Can't argue with that but when apple release the s models it's the same phone as the last model but better processor and camera really
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    There are a lot of people who can't afford to splash out £800+ on a phone and I'm one of them lol

18. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

You can make your own upgrade schedule to every other year if you want? Choice is good. I think Madden NFL is more redundant than others might, so I won't buy it yearly. Meanwhile, I buy NBA 2k annually. Have or had each year since 2k10! So you can say that the iPhone X is more like NBA 2k or more like Madden, your opinion, YMMV.

19. Pnr2020 thread starter macrumors regular

Pnr2020

WTF

20. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

"Need" is subjective. You may not need it, but I do.;)

21. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I get a new phone every 3 years.
    Annual release bothers me not at all.
    I have another year on my iP 5s, and I'm hoping for an upgrade to the SE.

22. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

And they sell because people will buy. That is how free commerce works. Hence, funds for research, development/technology...

23. Cakefish macrumors 6502a

Cakefish

Not everyone buys on contract. I buy my phones off-contract. It's quite a popular option in my country, the UK.

But regardless, people start contracts at anytime of the year and during any year. Going to two year cycle would mean a significant number of people being eligible to upgrade but without a latest release to upgrade to. And with Android competitors all on annual cycles it just wouldn't be a viable strategy.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I don't find it's that popular here in my experience, especially among people who buy flagships. Most of the people I've encountered with sim only contracts are those who have inherited older phones and aren't bothered spending lots of money on handsets.

I think putting out £800 - £1000 on a phone and buying a sim only rolling contract is one of the least popular options despite probably being the cheaper method over 2 years. A lot of people just haven't got the disposable income to purchase phones in one hit.

25. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You seem to be implying that because you believe a certain schedule is optimal that manufacturers and buyers should be forced into it.

I have a lot of opinions here on MR, but I'm not into forcing anyone to believe the same way I do. People can make their own decisions and choices about when and where they want to upgrade.

I upgrade every 2 to 3.5 years. It doesn't bother me at all that upgrades are released every year by Apple. I just ignore it if I am not in the market for it.

PS. Perhaps you meant to say leasing, instead of two year contracts? Because two year contracts are dead with the four US carriers. You can only get that at Apple or a non-major carrier that does that now.