Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

?

• I don't use firewire at all and could care less

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I would like it but I still got the new MacBook

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I would like it and I didn't get the new MacBook

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • I absolutely need it and I still got the MacBook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I absolutely need it and I didn't get a new MacBook

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I'm a ninja.

Votes: 13 14.8%

• Total voters

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wheres the, I dont use it but it would have been nice for those who do, option?

Sigur

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I want it and I have it! I think that is what makes us better than windows user. :apple:

But first of all I'm a Ninja :cool:

And yes, I think it is fun to end every line with a smile :D

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
well my imac cant read the leopard disk so i have to target it and it comes in handy that fw works, as well as my brother uses a Fw audio interface so he needs firewire 400 so basically he cant get a new MB or MBP and will have to get an imac or something although he needs mobility so if he gets a new MBP he nees one of them FW 800 to 400 things and htat would piss him off i can see since he needs the most expensive laptop and a converter just to RECORD CRAPPY QUALITY MUSIC OMG.

wbe858

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
Well i didnt think i needed it but i have used it more than i thought. (Uni MBP btw) I have a couple of external drives that use firewire and i use them from time to time as a backup, I used it the other day on my old imac g3 in target disk mode to duplicate the hard drive so i could put a new on in it. IMO its nice to have just in case one day, however to spend an extra 700 for just that i dont think is worth it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
OP, what was honestly the point of this thread? I can only see it failing miserably. Unless of course you were honestly asking, in that case you should notice the hundreds (probably thousands) of angry posts in the Steve Jobs on no Firewire in macbooks thread.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
OP, what was honestly the point of this thread? I can only see it failing miserably. Unless of course you were honestly asking, in that case you should notice the hundreds (probably thousands) of angry posts in the Steve Jobs on no Firewire in macbooks thread.

I agree, this subject has been beaten to death!!

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
This whole Firewire thing is retarded. Seriously. No one is forcing anyone to buy the new MacBook, so who cares? If Steve Jobs came to your house and physically removed the Firewire port on your existing computer, then I could see why people could be reasonably pissed.

Sorry, I couldn't help posting. Anyways, this FW issue needs to die...

Your5335

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
This whole Firewire thing is retarded. Seriously. No one is forcing anyone to buy the new MacBook, so who cares? If Steve Jobs came to your house and physically removed the Firewire port on your existing computer, then I could see why people could be reasonably pissed.

Sorry, I couldn't help posting. Anyways, this FW issue needs to die...

I seconded that! No people need to get over it, it's been like 3 months and it's a done deal Macbook no longer have Firewire. I have never touched that port on my PC and I don't see that happening in the future either.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
No one is forcing anyone to buy the new MacBook, so who cares? If Steve Jobs came to your house and physically removed the Firewire port on your existing computer

That's exactly what happened to us! OMG how did you know?

Seriously, see my sig below. We don't have the budget for MBP, but we didn't want to buy the whitebooks as they will be struggling before the end of our 3 -4 year purchase cycle. The macbooks were to replace iBooks from 3-4 years ago, which were really struggling, and starting to break down with various problems.

This is an Apple-based company, so yes we felt put into a hole.

MidwestStuck

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
Estados Unidos
Apparently, Steve Jobs doesn't think the MB needs FireWire. I wouldn't say the removal of the FW port is a deal-breaker, but it sure feels as if they neutered the MB.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I seconded that! No people need to get over it, it's been like 3 months and it's a done deal Macbook no longer have Firewire. I have never touched that port on my PC and I don't see that happening in the future either.

LOL, yes. Because you personally never touched that port, the rest of us should just do what you do: Only connect such pro things like an iPhone, USB harddisks, and USB-equipped cameras (directly). Sounds like a good idea :p

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Oh god, now the "buy a MBP" comments are going to come. The poll really is a good idea to get a very rough general idea of how people feel about it but the thread is quickly going to turn into another Steve Jobs on lack of firewire discussion, Tosser just quote all your other posts in other threads, it will save you some typing time. :p

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Oh god, now the "buy a MBP" comments are going to come. The poll really is a good idea to get a very rough general idea of how people feel about it but the thread is quickly going to turn into another Steve Jobs on lack of firewire discussion, Tosser just quote all your other posts in other threads, it will save you some typing time. :p

Haha, yup. Unfortunately, I don't think it's allowed to cross post.

It's weird, though – there's this huge thread, and people still still think that their individual lack of needs should dictate what the rest of us should be able to get. It truly is amazing :eek:

MidwestStuck

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
Estados Unidos
Oh god, now the "buy a MBP" comments are going to come. The poll really is a good idea to get a very rough general idea of how people feel about it but the thread is quickly going to turn into another Steve Jobs on lack of firewire discussion, Tosser just quote all your other posts in other threads, it will save you some typing time.

It's not my intention to convince people to buy the MBP. I probably would've bought the current MB had I not needed to buy a new computer during the summer. And my Steve Jobs comment was meant to be taken at face value... no need to get all excited.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Haha, yup. Unfortunately, I don't think it's allowed to cross post.

It's weird, though – there's this huge thread, and people still still think that their individual lack of needs should dictate what the rest of us should be able to get. It truly is amazing :eek:
The part that I dont get is that the FW thread is MASSIVE yet OP decided to just ignore it and start yet another that will be the same exact topic.

Where the hell is the forum edicate!?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I'm going to be pedantic again, but it really riles me to see people saying things like "could care less". This makes no sense - if you don't want Firewire, then surely you couldn't care less?

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yes, again, some people NEED FW, others don't, but having an extra port doesn't really hurt those that don't need it.

Edit:
It's not my intention to convince people to buy the MBP. I probably would've bought the current MB had I not needed to buy a new computer during the summer. And my Steve Jobs comment was meant to be taken at face value... no need to get all excited.

I wasn't directing my statement towards any one person, and I only mentioned Steve Jobs because that's the title of the massive FW thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.