Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The old one was expensive (to me) and probably ill-timed when other speakers offered more for less $$.

The HomePod mini is fine, but certainly lack the fuller sound that comes from larger speakers.

Regardless, do we think Apple has a successor to the HomePod in the works?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The old one was expensive (to me) and probably ill-timed when other speakers offered more for less $$.

The HomePod mini is fine, but certainly lack the fuller sound that comes from larger speakers.

Regardless, do we think Apple has a successor to the HomePod in the works?
Not until they kill off every OG HomePod out in the wild. Kidding, not kidding but it’s pretty concerning how many of these are dying at the two year mark and immediately following a software update. I have nine of them and everyday I have to check their pulses to make sure they didn’t die in their sleep.

Latest rumors pointed towards a mid size HomePod and a HomePod AppleTV combo of sorts, which have died down over the months. Also, there was recently a job listing for HomeOS from Apple.

Keeping the Mini monicker would indicate something in the works, but then again, it was announced while the OG was still alive and kicking. Anything at this point is pure speculation. I personally hope they have something planned. I currently have six Minis, but they don’t cut it for me. They’re only sprinkled in areas where an OG would be overkill.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I would love to see an AppleTV/HomePod soundbar fusion device ala Sonos. And a OG v2.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
I am hopeful that a successor is in the works. Apple has continued to add features to the HomePod since it was discontinued, a couple of which aren't supported on the mini, so that really points to a new HomePod in the future. I don't know if the reported problems with the OG HomePod were a factor leading to its discontinuance but I doubt it.

Last edited:

acrakes

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2015
There’s a patent for a version with a kind of “cap” to bring the screen around onto the sides.. https://www.patentlyapple.com/paten...r-homepod-by-expanding-its-light-display.html

My pitch is some kind of circular screen, either like a vertical turntable with a (smaller) vinyl record sized display attached to the existing cylindrical base -
1637374308918.jpeg

Doesn’t even have to be entirely free of the speaker, could be a half circle like this:
1637374395701.jpeg

Or the disc-screen on some sort of arm, almost like a gramophone
1637374486475.jpeg

The point is to have a distinctive design which keeps the acoustics and look of the original “pod” intact but adds a substantive full-service touchscreen - for a smart home/assistant/app/music/
Apple TV interface.

Having no design skill or sense whatsoever I can only imagine “everything I just said but an elegant, stylish, Apple version”

NPG

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
They should get back to function then design with this and Apple Watch now that Ive is gone..the whole remote software updating from an iPhone or iPad is flaky..maybe a micro USB 3/C port on the bottom. Also they should allow some sort hi res lossless audio input port on the next HomePod / HomePod Pro..

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I’m constantly checking eBay for deals. I wish I would’ve bought 2 before they were discontinued. Especially after hearing my friends HomePod home theatre with atmos in action. Makes my 3.1 sound bar sound anemic.

I find it hard to buy one used for 300+ or new at 500.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I am hoping Apple will develop something similar for under $150. A AirPlay2-compatible, standalone subwoofer, "Lithe Audio Wireless Micro Sub Woofer." It’s not cheap at $450."
This would solve a lot of problems for Home Theater setups.

Reactions: satchmo

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’m not even sure Apple has any business being in the audio market to be honest. It seems all their hardware faces some kind of issues. AirPods Pro with the snap crackle and pop. HomePod OGs are dropping like flies after a couple years. Plenty of HomePod Mini issues going around.

Reactions: Plett

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m not even sure Apple has any business being in the audio market to be honest. It seems all their hardware faces some kind of issues. AirPods Pro with the snap crackle and pop. HomePod OGs are dropping like flies after a couple years. Plenty of HomePod Mini issues going around.
Yes their devices are not perfect. Neither are their competitors but they are charging up to three times more than their competitors. It’s easy to give the echo devices and google home devices a pass because they are cheap and what they bring to the table is already remarkable for the price you pay. Apple devices are more expensive so you’d hope to get a significantly better experience. Ah the joys of being locked into the Apple ecosystem means we have to put up even if we don’t shut up.

Reactions: Itinj24 and satchmo

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Mark Gurman at Bloomberg said earlier this year that he believes Apple are working on a competitor to an Amazon echo show or google nest.

However this was some months ago and I‘ve not really heard anything since.

I'd rather they just focus on a larger standalone speaker. It wasn't that the OG HomePod was bad, it was just too expensive. Why can't they do a HomePod 'regular' for $199?

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes their devices are not perfect. Neither are their competitors but they are charging up to three times more than their competitors. It’s easy to give the echo devices and google home devices a pass because they are cheap and what they bring to the table is already remarkable for the price you pay. Apple devices are more expensive so you’d hope to get a significantly better experience. Ah the joys of being locked into the Apple ecosystem means we have to put up even if we don’t shut up.
They’re releasing crappy matching software to boot now too.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I'd rather they just focus on a larger standalone speaker. It wasn't that the OG HomePod was bad, it was just too expensive. Why can't they do a HomePod 'regular' for $199?
The original HomePod wasn’t exactly cheap to manufacture. I’m pretty sure that when they were on sale for $199, that was below cost. Even at $299, that’s a thinner than normal margin for them. There’s a lot of complex and expensive hardware in the original, so for them to make one for $199, they’d have to remove some features and hardware from it. I’d like to see them do another HomePod, but only if they can build something reliable and durable. Units shouldn’t be failing after sitting stationary for 3.5 years.

acrakes

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2015
Mark Gurman at Bloomberg said earlier this year that he believes Apple are working on a competitor to an Amazon echo show or google nest.

However this was some months ago and I‘ve not really heard anything since.
Makes sense.. but hard to imagine it having a remotely pleasing design, even if they ditch the cylindrical speaker base.. Amazon and Google just don't care. The Echo Show 10 is too ugly for Apple..

Doubling down on a version of the "gramophone"/vinyl record idea.. on a more elegantly stylized arm than the Echo.. you could put a rectangular screen within a circular body and round the corners of the display in software.. hard to imagine the right proportions for the speaker cylinder and the screen, but.. it would be distinctive

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
They’re releasing crappy matching software to boot now too.
It will be OK. Remember the mantra, timcookisanoperationalgenius... timcookisanoperationalgenius... timcookisonpermanentgoodwilltour... wait.

• Haha
Reactions: Itinj24

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Just got the HomePod Mini sound is good but lacks a lot of features with other competing wireless speakers. Truly it is not wireless, you cannot move the speakers without plugging it to an electric out. As for sound quality, it is good but not great. The fact this was released around the time Apple decided to bring Lossless, Hi-Res and Spatial for Apple Music you would expect to be able to stream music Dolby Atmos Spatial but only available for the discontinued HomePods.

I am still trying to understand why Apple decided to discontinue original HomePods other than the minis are much cheaper. This is not the first time Apple discontinued speakers they did the same for the iPod dock connector system.

The best thing for me now is to return HomePod Mini go for a better brand of speakers as much I like to Apple products to keep them in their same eco system. Who knows when will be the next HomePod hardware upgrade but all I know is not going to be anytime soon or in 2022.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Just got the HomePod Mini sound is good but lacks a lot of features with other competing wireless speakers. Truly it is not wireless, you cannot move the speakers without plugging it to an electric out. As for sound quality, it is good but not great. The fact this was released around the time Apple decided to bring Lossless, Hi-Res and Spatial for Apple Music you would expect to be able to stream music Dolby Atmos Spatial but only available for the discontinued HomePods.

I am still trying to understand why Apple decided to discontinue original HomePods other than the minis are much cheaper. This is not the first time Apple discontinued speakers they did the same for the iPod dock connector system.

The best thing for me now is to return HomePod Mini go for a better brand of speakers as much I like to Apple products to keep them in their same eco system. Who knows when will be the next HomePod hardware upgrade but all I know is not going to be anytime soon or in 2022.

It's already a year and a half since the the current HomePod mini was launched. I would think they're due for another HomePod or HomePod with display, sometime next year.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
It's already a year and a half since the the current HomePod mini was launched. I would think they're due for another HomePod or HomePod with display, sometime next year.
Yes, but needs more than just a screen, it should be completely wireless with rechargeable batteries and support spatial music. Apple is far behind when it comes to smart speakers, they have a lot to catch up with.

Wonder why Beats is not involved with this. When it is part of Apple you would think they would get Beats department working on smart speakers.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I think Beats is just a brand, which Apple bought really just for the industry contacts. There isn't and never was anything special about the hardware.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
You are confusing wireless with portable. Portability is a special requirement that comes at a cost and there is no need to burden any device with a battery and charger unless portability is a requirement. HomePods are wireless speakers but they are not portable and aren't intended to be. This is not to say that Apple should never offer portability in a HomePod model like Sonos does with their Move and Roam speakers and that may well happen at some point.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You are confusing wireless with portable. Portability is a special requirement that comes at a cost and there is no need to burden any device with a battery and charger unless portability is a requirement. HomePods are wireless speakers but they are not portable and aren't intended to be. This is not to say that Apple should never offer portability in a HomePod model like Sonos does with their Move and Roam speakers and that may well happen at some point.

How are HomePods considered wireless speakers?
They are more portable than they are wireless.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Well, to me a portable speaker is one that is battery powered and can be operated without being plugged in. By this definition a HomePod is not portable (even though it's small enough to be easily moved). Wireless usually just means no speaker wires and external amplifier are needed. It doesn't mean the device has no power cord. That's my understanding of the terms. If you count the power cord then a HomePod is neither wireless nor portable. Same would be true of most smart speakers from Sonos, Google and Amazon. The Sonos Move and Roam are portable speakers meaning they have chargeable batteries and are both portable and completely wireless in operation (no power cord).

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
To me, wireless means without wire. Portable simply means it can easily be moved.

The HomePod obviously has a power cord and as you mentioned, most other smart speakers. I consider them all as portable wired speakers.

Nevertheless, I'd love to see a larger HomePod not unlike the original iPod Hi-Fi which was portable and wireless. Sonos and Sony and many other brands have products that are just that. It's just whether or not Apple wants to go down that route. Short of that, I'd take a HomePod Regular, wired or otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.