Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
I'd like to see Apple open up the architecture so that other vendors can build "HomePodPlay" compatible speakers of various types.

I'd also like to see a subwoofer.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
I'd like to see Apple open up the architecture so that other vendors can build "HomePodPlay" compatible speakers of various types.

Interesting idea. Not likely given Apple's history on such matters but if they aren't going to build one maybe they should let others have a whack at it.

As for a sub, not a bad idea either but the need for one would be less if they were still selling the OG...

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Interesting idea. Not likely given Apple's history on such matters but if they aren't going to build one maybe they should let others have a whack at it.

As for a sub, not a bad idea either but the need for one would be less if they were still selling the OG...
CarPlay has been a good model for this.

I have the OGs and they do not have deep bass. Matter of preference how much that matters.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
True, although Apple doesn't build cars (yet) so if they didn't licence CarPlay to car makers there'd be no CarPlay at all. As for sub-woofers you're correct of course. As good as it is, the OG HomePod doesn't compare to a sub-woofer. I'd buy one if they made one although I'd prefer to see Apple add minis as rear speakers to Home Theatre mode first. Maybe they're planning to introduce a sub and mini rears along with an OG replacement all at the same time. We can only hope.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
True, although Apple doesn't build cars (yet) so if they didn't licence CarPlay to car makers there'd be no CarPlay at all. As for sub-woofers you're correct of course. As good as it is, the OG HomePod doesn't compare to a sub-woofer. I'd buy one if they made one although I'd prefer to see Apple add minis as rear speakers to Home Theatre mode first. Maybe they're planning to introduce a sub and mini rears along with an OG replacement all at the same time. We can only hope.

Good point about no car yet, so slightly different situation.

Agreed, being able to configure >2 homepods into 4.0, 5.1, or higher would be nice. I'd also like an option with that to play multichannel stereo for some content.

acrakes

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2015

Not sure what you mean… they have Airplay, which means any Airplay compatible speaker can coordinate with the HomePod..

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
I assume you mean that Apple could license the proprietary technology used in the HomePod beyond AirPlay which is already licensed and implemented by other companies. Start with Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.