Do you agree with Apple's decision toward no optical disc drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefan289, Jul 21, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I use the optical drive on my iMac to burn discs from iTunes to listen to them in the car. I used to use an iPod, but it got on my nerves while driving. :)

Anyway, I don't think I would be comfortable without a disc drive, but at the same time, I like that Apple is trying to move forward with no physical media.

Do discs have a niche in your life? Would you feel comfortable without a disc drive on your primary computer?

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I think at some point CD's will go the way of the cassette tape. I hardly ever need CD's and DVD's now.

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I would love nothing more than to not need CDs.

My only reason for using them is so I can comfortably listen to iTunes downloads in the car without looking down for the iPod and crashing. ;)

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I use my iPhone for listening to music in my car (it plugs into the AUX input into my car). You can use Voice Controls to play songs. Also, instead of burning CDs, why don't you make Playlists on your iPhone/iPod? You'd save so much time/money on burning CDs - plus they could be longer than 80 minutes.

I digress...I agree in Apple's decision. I used to be all against "taking away DVD drives" but I (and many others) rarely use them. I believe I've only used my DVD drive in the past year under 5 times. I can't wait until MacBook Pros remove them & we can have lighter/slimmer notebooks.

Worst case scenario, you buy an external DVD drive. Also, don't forget, you can do "Drive sharing" with another computer. So there are plenty of alternatives.

6. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have an iPod Shuffle and have playlists on that. I used to use that primarily as my music device, but:

1. The sound quality was not as good as a CD (or an iPad)
    2. It was too distracting while driving.

I think the iPod/iPhone/iPad is the perfect solution for home listening if you connect it to a dock that also has speakers. But, for the car, it's such a relief to use CDs and change the song using the car controls rather than the iPod controls.

*Still tries to think of solution that doesn't involve CDs*

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If the Superdrive is a dealbreaker for you, buy a nice external. There are small, attractive slot-load DVD burners available for as low as $30-$40. You don't have to buy Apple's.

8. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just looked on Apple's site and it seems a bunch of cars have iPod connectivity standard - not just auxiliary - but you can actually control the iPod from the car's controls. When my lease is up with my current car, I'll have to go for one with those features.
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/car-integration/#mercedes