Do you all have auto brightness set to on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jul 26, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody have it set to On? My iPhone 4 is on about 40% Brightness and auto brightness off. Anybody have it on? When outside it is useful to have it on but at night or anytime indoors I can barely see the screen.

2. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I have it on and have it around 30 % and it's enough when i'm outside.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I use the jailbreak tweak HomeScreen Settings to add the brightness setting as a toggle on my homescreen. Makes it really easy to turn auto brightness on and off :)

While I am outside I have the auto-brightness on. When inside I turn it off.

4. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Yep. I have the brightness set to like 80% and auto is always on.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Mine is on and set to 50%. The auto brightness really works quite well in comparison to many other phones I have used.:)

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Nope. I sent my brightness to 60% and I want it there at all times. Works good outside & great indoors.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes. It makes my phone easy to use in the dark

8. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Nope...I have the slider set just above the two s's in "Brightness". It's the first thing I do every time I get a new phone.

Gotta do everything possible to save battery life.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

YES! Couldn't live without it. Going in and out of meetings and rooms with different lighting makes perfect use of the Auto Brightness. I have mine at about 50% and still get decent battery life.

10. French macrumors regular

I have mine set on so I can see my phone in the car (outside bright light) but I HATE how it automatically dims it in darker lighting. I wish there was a way to set it to stay a minimum of what I set it at and only brighten from there if needed.

11. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Yes, it is very appreciated. I also have my brightness set around 30%. I need all the help I can get on battery life with the way I use my phone and brightness seems to be a huge factor.

12. zikocici macrumors newbie

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You should probably have it checked out at the Apple store. I've used auto-brightness for 3 years now and this does not describe my experience at all.

I really think something's wrong with your phone.

14. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

What gives you over-all better battery life? Auto-B on because it lowers it when you don't need it? Or off because it doesn't raise it or sensor for anything?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Auto.

The screen is one of the most power-hungry things on the phone.

16. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it suck more battery to keep your screen a little dimmer and have the auto off? It seems like it would drain the battery for the phone to continue to check the ambient light.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but then you could never use your iPhone outside.

I mean, unless you spend time going in and out of the settings all day, manually changing it. And then you've just wasted more power than the sensors would have used on the minutes per day you run the screen just looking at the settings menu.

At a certain point this stuff becomes pointless. Just leave it on auto so that you can USE the phone whereever you go and buy another charger if you need it. I'm all for saving battery power, but when you start doing things that make the phone difficult to use it's just not worth it anymore.

18. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I never turned the auto brightness feature on.

It auto adjusts to see better outside?

19. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

First I thought that this is a absurd feature. But later I tried it...
    And it is awsome! No need to manually change the brightness if you turn off the lights or just go outside...
    Now, I coudn't live without it

20. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Only problem I have with auto brightness is that when using my iPhone as a nav device it dims to where I can't see it while driving in bright sun light. Only turning off auto brightness address this. It is all good otherwise.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

That makes sense if you're constantly having to change it. I just leave it at about 40%, and only change it if I'm in a dark movie theater or something. I've never had a problem seeing outside.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'm using and like it quite a bit.

The downside is that the auto adjustment doesn't seem to happen on the lock screen. Checking my phone for the time at night is painfully bright and I usually end up turning down the brightness anyway before I go to sleep.

24. xMClass macrumors 6502

Mine is off and brightness is a 100% which explains my short battery life. :rolleyes:

25. big samm macrumors 65816

The auto brightness on the iPhone never worked well... It works but not as smooth as the blackberry's... Sometimes I'm in my bed and have the lamp on and when I turn it off the iPhone won't dim like the blackberry's do... I have to lock the phone then unlock it again for the screen to dim... Hope they fix that in the iPhone 4s or 5

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk