Do you believe in true love?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Delighted, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Me and a very close friend has debated this for years. Before I go any further, we are talking about romantic love.

I stand by the position that it absolutely does exist. I see it everyday old couples holding hands in the park, spouses picking up their wife/husband from the hospital, and many selfless acts.

My friend believes that as love exist only in our mind. She would definitely like to fall in love(like in the movies) but she does not believe it exist. She has had quite a few love interest in the past but she never felt that she ever really 'fell' for anyone because she believes that many time she dated a certain guy only because he was able to provide security for her(supportively, financially, emotionally). Her strongezt arguement aginst me thus far is why most women would prefer dating successful men(doctors, lawyers, etc.) But this is just what WE think.

What do you think, do you believe romantic love really exist? or is it all just in our head fabricated from hollywood movies?

2. iDevSocial macrumors newbie

iDevSocial

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes it exists. From an experienced expert in romantic love. Lol

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is a great topic. Yes, I do believe in it. However, I believe that true love exists in many forms. Someone you fall in love with may not eventually be the person with whom you spend your life. Sometimes, if you really love someone, you let them go to find someone else they are more compatible with and you end up very good friends in the end.

That was my experience with someone I met on this very site and dated for 2 years. True love sometimes means letting go. Because if you really love someone, you want them to be happy, even if that means their happiness does not lie with you.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I believe it exists for some people, but I myself have never experienced and don't think I ever will.

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I have loved and lost, more than once as it happens. But, I keep on bouncing back.

KGB:)

6. Delighted, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012

Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

can you call it love if are able to let go? and so call 'bounce back'? I'm not saying your gersion of love is wrong but I do disagree that you can bounce back. I believe that 'one does not simply bounce back' when you are in love.

Unlike my friend, I do believe that there is someone out there for everybody and I am confident you can find your love if you work for it. Love dont simply present itself on your lap.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I absolutely believe it exists having experienced it with my girlfriend for the last 5 years it's shown no sign of mellowing out. We fell in love after meeting and dived straight into a relationship in entirely atypical circumstances skipping the whole "dating" phase. We've been through a lot together and the only constant has been our unwavering love for each other.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

People try their hardest to make it exist. I don't buy it.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Those that try their hardest to make it exist don't tend to find it, or find it the hardest to come by. For something as intangible as this, the harder you try to make it happen, the harder it is to make it to be. That's why you don't buy it, and why the fabricated, over-sensationalized drivel that Hollywood and the tabloids spit out is crap, and less someone to be cynical. When it's true, it comes naturally; and when it does come, you know. You just know.

It took me a long time to figure that out and get over that cynic that grew in me. But once you let things happen, it happens a lot sooner than you think, and who knows? That person may have been sitting there in front of you the entire time you have been trying to make it happen.

BL.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

This.

I was not looking for it, we were met online and then when we first met it just happened, we've never had to try to love each other, we just do.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yes. Though I think true love can come in many forms, not just romantically. Romantically speaking I also think that affections and compatibilities can change so there can easily be more than one true love in anyone's life.

Technically speaking love is just brain chemistry so if a person defines "real" by something more tangible then sure, they could say they don't think it's real. I think that's hugely underestimating the complexity and power of the mind and [cheese alert] the power of love.

I only just managed not to break into song.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not yet. I've always found my relationships difficult and I feel it is much easier to do without.

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

As mentioned above there are many different types and Love Actually (the film), although being a suckfest, does an OK job of portraying the different kinds of love.

I think personally to test your love for someone is to imagine your life without them. I couldn't imagine my life without my wife. Despite her constant nagging :p

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes. I truly believe it happens. I found it and so did my wife.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Is she with him now???

Zing!

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As a Christian, I believe I am made with with the capacity to love unconditionally

I have been blessed with meeting and falling in love with an awesome woman. I've been doubly blessed with two children, I can easily say that in both cases (wife +children) I am truly in love. :)

18. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I'd like to think that it does but I've never experienced it.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Sometimes the person you love more than anyone else isn't very compatible for you. I would guess that most of us end up with someone we do love, but aren't head-over-heels about - yet that person is a great day to day companion.

20. ender land macrumors 6502a

I believe it exists.

I don't believe "long-lasting mutual love without work, hardship, difficulties, and trying times" exists.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

You have to define it first. Otherwise it's just a nonsensical question.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Seems to me he did a pretty clear that he is talking about "eros" love.

IMO, it doesn't exist. Once the hormones stop raging, "Hubba, hubba. My name is Bubba" becomes "I'll call you" and never do. Greeting cards company wants us to believe it exist to sell more cards during Valentines day.;)

I do believe unconditional love exist, but it's more a love between parent and offspring.

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

I believe it exists. Haven't come close yet though.

Loved and lost many times.