Do you buy music from iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brianfast, Aug 18, 2010.

?

Do you buy iTunes music

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No, other online store

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. No, CDs

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. No, other

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. brianfast macrumors regular

Music on iTunes is generally 30% more expensive than Amazonmp3.com. Apple claims AAC sounds better than MP3, but both sources have the same bitrate.

So I am wondering how many people here buy their music from iTunes or if they get it from other sources

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I use both iTunes and Amazon.

Many retailers have special offers on iTunes Gift Cards. I got two £15 cards for only £20 a few weeks ago, so I build up my credit using offers like these and get my iTunes downloads for roughly the same price as Amazon. :)

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Usually just use iTunes; never used any other service before really. I don't download pirate music - I don't like it.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I occasionally use iTunes, often use emusic but mainly buy cds.

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I often do. A little bit less since I have discovered Spotify and Deezer.com. I think owning music is from the past and future is to cloud services (like Lala?)

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I mainly buy CDs from pawn shops or online retailers for $1 to $10. Better sound quality, a physical backup of my library, and the same price or usually less than iTunes or Amazon MP3.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use iTunes. Partly because they're cheaper then CDs, partly because I don't want to mess with the physical media. Apple makes it easy with itunes, so its quite effortless

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have purchased music from the iTunes Store with a gift card, so I answered Yes here. I was pleasantly surprised to find Paul Hardcastle's eponymous album (featuring "19", "King Tut" and "Rainforest") on iTunes, with a slew of bonus tracks that kept me from having to record both my LP and my 12" single of "19", both of which have seen better days.

In the interest of full disclosure, the vast majority of my music is either ripped from CD or recorded from my vinyl/cassette collection, a sizable portion of which is obscure to the point that even pirate sites/torrents probably wouldn't have it. Example: There is a track on the vinyl and cassette versions of The B-52's Whammy! album called "Don't Worry", a remake of a Yoko Ono song. When Warner Bros. wanted to reissue it on CD, Ono wouldn't license the rights to the song again, so another track was put in its place on the CD. I had to record that from cassette. The rest of the album I ripped from a CD I got in a used music store. (Many of my CD replacements are from used stores-- I already paid full price for the album the first time around.)

My wife has purchased more from iTunes and/or Amazon than I have. We have Home Sharing activated, so I have a couple of tracks from her collection. She has way more from mine, though. She was initially leery of buying online via iTunes, as she got rather badly "burnt" when the first incarnation of Walmart Music closed up shop, but she likes it now; she's one of those "music consumers" that buys only the top hit singles, listens to it a few times, then moves on to the next hit single.

Like maflynn, I like not having to mess about with physical media. I would have loved to have had an iPod in my high school days. Bringing along several cassettes ("What were those?" I can hear some of you younger ones ask) and a player in a duffel bag on school trips was nowhere near as convenient-- and battery life flat-out sucked.

9. &Ingonyama macrumors member

I just use Spotify now. I think if apple offered something similar and got rid of the bloat on iTunes I might use it again.

10. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

11. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I buy music from iTunes if it's an artist i really love and if it's an artist that i may listen to every once in a while i just stream it instead :D

Pirating music is soo last century :p

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

75% legally downloaded soundtracks
    20% old CDs or LPs, either mine or friends/family
    2% ripped soundtracks direct from device (Amiga, Xbox etc)
    2% iTunes
    1% my own stuff/stuff from my studio's musician.

It's an odd mix I think.

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I buy the occasional single or ep from iTunes.

But for full albums I usually buy the CD.

14. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

pretty much just use pandora for music but if I am buying something I will use itunes.

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I usually go for the cheapest out of physical media or iTunes. I prefer to own the actual CD, but cost is king and if there's a significant saving to be had then it's iTunes all the way.

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I don't buy much music anymore--I enjoy streaming music from Pandora or Slacker--so it is no big deal for the few times I do buy it to get it from iTunes.

17. demingy macrumors newbie

Most of my music is from my physical collection (mostly CDs) or Amazon, 7digital, and HDTracks. I have a few songs from iTunes but it has been years since I bought off iTunes.

I have to admit that one of the main reasons why I quit buying from iTunes is that the store navigation is just so much slower than my other options. With the "automatically add to iTunes" folder, buying from other online sources that allow me to just download a file is almost as easy as buying from iTunes.

18. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

1% of my music from iTunes
    99% pirated, I just find music too expensive and I need a big library because if a friend asks e to play a song, I like to have it.

19. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Yes, but only for the artist I support, the rest......I get them from certain places....

20. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I use a little old app named after a green, citrus fruit...:rolleyes:

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mostly from CDs but I do buy from iTunes if I can't find something on CD.

22. shingi70 macrumors regular

But most of my music from itunes and use zune for my Tv shows and movies.

23. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

A relative of mine showed me that application on his laptop a few years ago. It seemed like there were more ZIP and RAR files than actual music files. This sort of threw up a red flag for me about LW, and piracy in general.

I honestly thought I'd never see a person on this particular forum that uses both iTunes AND Zune. How does that work out for you?

24. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

25. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Never seen that when I get music. He might have had the "programs" category selected instead of the "audio" category.