Do you buy off of eBay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Apr 7, 2007.

?

Do you buy off of eBay?

1. Nope, never have

11.2%
  2. Once or twice.

20.4%
  3. Yes, but not all the time.

59.2%
  4. Are you kidding? My house would be empty without eBay!

9.2%
  1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I buy on average, once every 3 months.(My most recent purchase being an iBook G3) You?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have once or twice, but never for electronics. Unfortunately, I just can't trust ebay enough.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I do, occasionally. Never anything expensive, but I buy rare games off eBay. Sometimes jewelry, tapestries, and stuff like that. Keychains, you know. Junk and stuff :D

4. apple1984 macrumors member

apple1984

I've sold a few items, but never bought anything. I would never consider making a major purchase on eBay, and I have no need for any of the <$10 useless trinkets that fill eBay's markets.

5. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I have both bought a powerbooks and sold a powerbook a few years ago with out any problems.

6. mantic macrumors 6502a

I've bought quite a few electronic items off ebay.. The largest thing I've bought was a Fender amp. Only sold one item through their service.

I have to say it's hard to find a good deal or a steal anymore. Ebay was great for comsumers a few years ago.

7. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I use it quite a bit, i always pick sellers carefully and apart from 1 very slow delivery ive had no problems at all.

a few of my recent purchases, some things are cheap , other quite expensive...

Xbox 360 wireless headset
    xbox 360 windows gaming receiver
    some accesories for my D50 - bag, battery
    a few cisco phones (£70 - £200)
    memory cards (not fake ones YAY)
    iSight
    official apple 10.3 mousemat
    lots of cds mostly rare promos etc (£1 - 30)
    Powermac G4 400 £70
    and other bits and bobs

i try to avoid new sellers, and if i have any doubts i dont buy

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

every now and then, but its pretty rare. Amazon ftw!

9. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I sell more than I buy. I only buy like once a month.

10. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I buy and sell a few bits and bobs now and then. I have 116 feedback, 100% positive.

Sniping is fun!

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

I've been buying on ebay since 1999, and it looks like I'm averaging about 8 purchases a year. Almost everything I've bought has been rare items (old computers or old software mainly). Also parts that I've needed for client's systems.

I try to keep away from bidding wars. I only bid once, within the last 60 seconds, and only the maximum that I would honestly be willing to pay. I've seen a lot of people pay more for things than they were worth because they got caught up in bidding. I figure that by posting a bid in the last minute, I'm removing the ability to second guess myself.

Yeah, I've lost out on some items... but in the long run, I've been happy being conservative with my high bids. :D

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm a buyer. i've never sold anything on ebay, and i really want to. it's just i have nothing of value i want to sell. :eek: but i've bought golf clubs, magazines, nintendo ds games (new not used) and, yes, even a computer. it's how i bought my g4 cube back in the day.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

According to "My eBay", I have sold 58 and bought 28 items since September 04.

I have bought a Power Mac G4 and a iBook G3 and recently sold a Power Mac G5 without any issues.

Just be careful to check the sellers feedback and remember, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Very good advise.

I'm a sniper, I only bid in the last 5 seconds so there's no way I can bid any higher :)

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I tend to buy games and things like that from there, things that are kind of hard to fake. I also occasionally buy clothes because damn it's so much cheaper and you can find decent stuff there.

I did buy a laptop from there once, no problems, then sold the same laptop back on ebay, also no problems.

I have occasional addictive times, but that's been curbed by my last 2 semesters in Uni where I can't have anything that won't fit into the tiny post box outside my dorm corridor delivered. :(

I always check all the feedback on the sellers and check the listings thoroughly to ensure i'm being as careful as possible, and haven't a problem yet :)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've purchased items from eBay. Randomness really. :eek:

That I can remember:
    • Shaun the Sheep backpack (as in the brat from Wallace & Gromit)
    • mascara
    • camera bag
    • books
    • posters
    • compact flash
    • battery charger (for my old camera)

I have yet to sell on eBay. I'm too chicken. :p

18. RacerX macrumors 65832

Yeah, because I started out on ebay with a 14.4 connection, I still tend to give myself enough time to go through the bid process. Usually once the bid is placed I'll go away from ebay until a few minutes after the bidding has closed.

Plus, I discuss all this stuff with my wife first. The topics are usually around things like relative cost if available elsewhere, odds of seeing the item come up again verses how badly the item is needed, and so forth. We come up with an absolute number, I subtract shipping from that and that is what I bid.

Honestly... me too. :eek:

19. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I love eBay, but only use it after proper research. Not so hard really.

20. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I dont see why not. You just have to be careful and read up on the description and how well the seller is. You have to be smart. I just bought a pair of sunglasses and arrived in perfect condition, just like the description said.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What's eBay?

Seriously, it's too much hassle because everyone's overseas.

22. ama409573 macrumors newbie

Was an eBay member for a year before i realised what i could do with it. Started buying with small inexpensive items. Then i tried selling and the light went on! Things that have collected over the years were turned into cash. I was really surprised. Was skeptical of buying electronics but have never had a problem. Bought my G4 Ibook, Lacie portable hard drive, 2GB of memory for my G5 Powermac, several Sony cameras & memory sticks. Never had a problem & i'm at 207 with a 100 percent feedback rating. Research is the key, know what you're buying & who from. Read up a bit & do a little sniping, i'm sold.:apple:

23. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

24. iPod Shuffle macrumors newbie

If I need to buy anything electronic, eBay is the first place I look.

I have spent about $5000 since I joined in 2002.

25. Irish1978 macrumors member

Irish1978

I bought a brand new power mac g5 and the transaction went as smoothly as buying directly from apple. I sold the same computer on Ebay too.:)