Do you carry your 15" around?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

• Is the 15 inch portable?
    • Do you have a case?
    • What kind of bag do you use?

2. hydesg macrumors newbie

[QUO=Windows&Apple;18344389]
    • Is the 15 inch portable?

Yes, if you are a man.
    • Do you have a case?

Yes, a man case
    • What kind of bag do you use?

A man bag!
    [/QUOTE]

3. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Yes, as long as you are not a girly girl 15inch is totally fine.

I have an incase sleeve I would use to carry it and put that sleeve in my North Face backpack.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to carry around. More so the issue would be when it came to actually using it.

5. 7ewis macrumors newbie

It's very easy to carry around, in a shoulder bag or a briefcase.

I'm 5'8, and about 60kg and can easily carry one, so I'm sure you can.

6. m00min macrumors 6502

Yes it's portable but it's also annoyingly bulky. If your gonna carry round the 15" get a backpack; something to spread its weight evenly. Don't bother with an across the body style bag, your back won't thank you.

I'm basing my opinion on a 2010 MBP but I'm guessing the newer models aren't that much lighter.

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Bulky how? As in the depth/overall dimensions? The OP is referring to the rMBP (I'm assuming), and that is only 0.71" thick but also noticeable larger than the 13-inch model.

8. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

i'm using my 15" as a media server and sits at home, but i'm carrying around my lovely 13" retina with some other staff... anyway.. you can go to fitness and after 3-4 years you'll be able to lift more then a 15" macbook pro...

9. m00min macrumors 6502

Personally I find it bulky compared to my MBA 11". It's bigger and heavier. It meant having a much bigger bag to carry around which made navigating pavements full of people that bit harder.

10. sabbyp macrumors regular

no it's absolutely huge, a real pain to carry anywhere

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Compared to a 11-inch MBA, yeah it's huge. My bag can hold up to a 15-inch MBP, and it's only an extra pound compared to the 13" rMBP.

But when it comes to actually using the laptop, the 13" is better in most situations. However I can't see a big difference when it comes to transporting the machine to a coffee shop or school or something.

12. Sti-R macrumors member

I carry mine everyday to work in a man sized backpack. I love the 15inch screen. Keep in mind that I own a cmbp.

13. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I went from an 11" MBA as my main computer to a 15" rMBP last November and portability was something I was also concerned about.

Carrying it around I've found the weight isn't really an issue. While it is almost double the weight of the MBA (1.08kg), it's only 2.02kg (compared to 2.56kg for the cMBP) and isn't really that heavy. You do need a bigger bag, which I agree can be a little annoying at times, but it'll fit fine in most larger messenger bags and regular backpacks and briefcases. I switch between a messenger bag and briefcase. Overall it is a really portable computer, especially considering how much power you are getting (plus the great screen).

More than the weight, coming from the 11" MBA the footprint is a lot larger and it's not as convenient to use in small spaces. My use changed from when I had the 11" MBA and I'm not traveling as much. I mostly use it on my desk at work, in meetings, or at home. If you're on airplanes a lot, using small desks (such as in a classroom), or will be using it in cramped spaces, the footprint will be of more concern than the weight.

TLDR: I think it's very portable, especially for a 15" computer. I use a Radtech sleeve along with a messenger bag or small briefcase. Never had a backache from carrying it around.

14. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll be getting a 15 inch with a Cacoon Slim Backpack. It's all black, so it should pass the manly bag test.

15. MauerFan07 macrumors member

16. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

Every day back and forth to work. I use an Ogio book bag that has a dedicated slot to fit a 15" laptop inside. Perfect for when I ride my motorcycle in to the office

17. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Very portable. I use a Brenthaven backpack. That thing is built for World War III and rocks.

18. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

I remember I stupidly tried to take my messenger bag on my motorcycle. Annoying as :eek::mad::confused::mad:!

19. mthos macrumors member

I used to carry around my 2.96lbs Air, now with the 15" Haswell at 4.46lbs, the 1.5lbs difference on my back is nothing. lol.

Very portable.

This case/sleeve, awesome protection, Thule 15" Macbook Pro Case (hardshell):
    [​IMG]

I use a Swiss Army backpack with a laptop slot inside, such as:
    [​IMG]

I carry to and from campus, to and from work, to and from friends places. No issues.

20. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I have a 15-inch retina MacBook Pro and I carry it around with me every day. It's just fine. It's not featherweight, but it's easy to be carried around.

My main concern is to be stolen while I carry it with me. The laptop is very expensive (and here in Brazil it is even more expensive).

But I could say I would benefit if it was smaller. It doesn't fit inside the safe of hotels. And it doesn't fit some suitcases.

As for the weight, it is not heavy. Just two kilograms, a little less than 4.5 lbs. Of course if you want to carry a lot of stuff in your bag, an additional 2 kilograms may make some difference. Otherwise, it will be just fine.

21. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I love how people say they have issues with the weight of the 15in Retina and classic, when not very long ago many laptops were nearly 6-7lbs and people took those to class in college every day and never complained.

I used a DV6000 in college that was over 7lbs with the power supply, which you needed as you got MAYBE 3hrs out of it.

I can't help but laugh when people say the 15in or even 13in is 'to heavy' and they need an Air. Unless you have a medical condition it's not 'to heavy' you are just WAY out of shape.

22. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't concerned with the weight, I was more concern with the form factor and if people liked carrying around something that wide, Because you need room for it lol

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I carry around my Alienware 18 all the time.

Why a gigantic gaming notebook with a 18 inch screen that weighs 12 pounds?

I get a discount via my own side business from Dell, so I got a good deal. And its one of the only laptops powerful enough to handle some of the software I use, and I can use it on the go, as much as I like the rMBP, it just wouldn't be enough.

I use the carrying case that Alienware gives you, its got regular handles and a shoulder strap, and room for any papers, folders or external batteries that you might need. I also keep an iPad air in the same bag.

I find it very portable, still fits on any table just fine, and I wouldn't call it an ultra portable tho.

Hopefully that helps, if I can handle carrying around a 12 pound 18 inch laptop, you should be able to handle a 15 inch 5 pound laptop with no issue.

It always blows me away that someone would call a cMBP " heavy ", I mean how weak are are some people? Hit the gym. My clamshell iBook I had my senior year of high school would break these folk's arms off ;)

24. koban4max macrumors 68000

you must have weak arms and small muscles if you say no to each question.

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The better question is how you plan to use it. Carrying it around will be fine, although it is pretty wide.