Do you carry your 17" macbook pro around?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ekk20, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ekk20 macrumors member

Hello all, been lurking around here but never really post much. I'm in the market for a macbook pro, and I've decided on top of the line 15" or 17".

My question is, to those with the 17", how do you like it's portability or do you leave it on the desk most of the time? I personally don't mind carrying a 17" because I don't see that big of a difference in size and weight if I MUST carry a laptop out but I'd like some insights and opinions from current 17" laptop users.

I've tried searching around too, but no luck. Hopefully this topic hasn't been covered before.

Also, to those who has HI-RES display, how are you guys liking it? Do the guys without it regret that they should have ordered the computer with HI-RES?

Cheers guys, and thank you.

2. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

I take it around the house and to and from work everyday.
    I drive though so it's a short walk to and from the building.If I was on public transport ect or at school ect I'd go with the HR 15"
    I did look at the 15" but for a few dollars more I went with more screen estate on the 17".Mr Salesman was kind enough to let me put it in my bag and sling it over the shoulder to see how it traveled ect.I felt like a chick and almost asked if they had it in a different colour ....

3. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

imho, I would not buy 17" one. It is simply too big and heavy for transportation. Think of 17" more as "portable workstation" not a "laptop" per se. I am a student and I find that 15" is not so light after few hours of transporting it across the campus.
    In my opinion, 17" is for 95%+ for home desk and 5% for transport...

4. NKT macrumors regular

The portability of the 17" is really subjective. It depends primarily on the size of the person using it. I have no issues with the 17", but I'm also 6'3" 220 lbs. My laptop bag loaded up with the 17" and associated other gear comes in @ approx. 20 lbs.

When you're used to rucking 60+ lbs., 20 isn't that big of a deal. But someone smaller may have an issue with the size/weight.

My .02

PS - The difference in weight from 15 to 17 is only 1 lb. I'll take the extra screen real estate :cool:

5. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

Great and fast replies! Thanks Mac Rumors!

You're right, it's very subjective. I'll be driving to school everyday so really, I'd only be walking around with it within campus. At first the 17" looks disgustingly huge, but after several glances on different days, the bigger screen is starting to grow in me. My friend has the older generation of 15" and he told me 15" is like the sweet spot in terms of portability and size. It really is too bad the i7 does not come with the 17".

Right now it's a battle between bigger screen or a better processor.

I wonder if heat is major problem like the Macbook Air? I've always had the chance to use the Macbook air since my ex girlfriend owns one, but the over heating is so ridiculous that you can't put it on your lap to use. Is the heat coming from the hard drive? Would solid state drive solve the problem?

Thanks!

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

It does! You just have to customize it to order.

7. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

I just noticed! Thanks for the correction.

A question for all on the side, so the 15" 2.66 GHz with i7 processor doesn't come with the HI-RES display? For a second I thought it does.

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

The 15" DOES come with the HI-RES.

9. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

When I click "Purchase" (15" 2.66 GHz)on the Apple website, I'm still being offered the option to upgrade to HI-RES or Anti-Glare Hi Res. Where as 17" offers MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display by default and MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display as optional upgrade.

Is there something I'm missing here?

10. NKT macrumors regular

Another reason to get the 17", no need to worry about Hi-Res ;)

Your only choices will be i5 vs. i7 and Glossy vs. AG. To me, since I was already putting down that kinda cash, I went all out for the i7 and AG. Haven't regretted it since!

11. NKT macrumors regular

The 17" is already high-res (1920x1280). You only have to choose between glossy or AG.

12. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

If I'm going 17" I'm definitely going all out, with the education discount and free iPod touch + 12 month financing, it can't get better than that.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I find 17in laptops to large to be transportable and usable at schools. It is not the weight factor that hurts but the physical size. While it might not seem like a huge difference between the 2 the 17 in laptops (any manufacture) will always seem to be just a little to big to fit on the desk or were you need them. They seem to just get in the way.
    On top of that they do not fit in backpacks as easily since most are designed for the 15-16 in laptop size max.

I was in a class this summer where I carried my 15in dell to class to work on and another student carried his 17 in laptop. My 15 in would fit on the desk and I did not have to set it up at odd angles trying to get it to fit. the 17 in guy was struggling during the entire time with class trying to get his laptop to fit.

I find 15in to be the sweet spot. With the higher res screen you will be pretty happy.

Another thing to think about is you will noticed that 1lb difference in weight. It may not seem like a lot but when you start carrying it across campus 1lb oddly enough because pretty noticeable even when you have 20+ lb of crap you are carrier.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, every day.

If you have a good bag you would barely feel it.

You know the 17" MBP weights the same as many 15" PC?

15. vnle macrumors 6502

I have the 17" AG MBP and am a student in college. Personally, I find the screen estate to be a huge bonus when studying/working. As for transportation, like you, I drive to campus and walk around with it and I have absolutely no problem with carrying it around or setting it up in class (btw, for the person who mentioned size, I'm 5'3 and 110 lbs.). Yes, some of the desks might be really small (like the ones we have in our history building) but I've found no problem in setting it up in one comfy position and not moving it for the rest of the class). And when you're at home, you'll definitely appreciate the 17" screen. :D IMO, the 17" is definitely worth it and there's not much difference in weight between 15" and 17" - I always carry mine with a couple of accessories and such but I found that to be a small price to pay. :) Just make sure you get a reallllyyyyy good bag and then you're set. :cool:

16. reLAXER564 macrumors member

reLAXER564

As stated above, if you find a good backpack you'll barely notice the weight.

My personal favorite:

[​IMG]

17. CTrav86 macrumors member

I'm also debating between the 15 and 17, both with the i7 and AG. While the 17 does provide the sweet screen, the 3rd USB, and ExprssCard slot (instead of the useless for me SD slot), one thing that I noticed when checking them out in the store is that the distance between the front of the laptop and the keyboard felt a little...odd (because of the extra inch or so). Probably something I would adjust to (coming from a 15" PB), but it is still worth noting.

Both are awesome notebooks (they are MBP's after all :D), but I am just no good at making decisions like this since I tend to keep my computers for a long time.

One thing I was curious about is the battery life of the 17. I know it has a larger battery than the 15, but does it actually have a similar run time on battery as the 15? And what are you guys seeing for real-world battery times?

18. NKT macrumors regular

Strictly anecdotal, but I LOVE the battery life on my 17" MBP. With average use (web, email, a little video/photo processing) I've been getting 6-7 hours. Compare this to a HP 8500W that struggles to get 2 hours with just web browsing!

As another reference point, while I was doing the battery calibration it still took about a 1.5 hours to drain from 100%. That's with full brightness, iTunes, BT, WiFi, nVidia forced and maxed out CPU's :eek:

19. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I once had a 17" MBP and swore never to get one again, because it was too large to lug around. But with the iPad now, I'm more inclined to consider it. Which is to say I would use it as a portable but, I wouldn't need it all the time.

20. toffa813 macrumors regular

Something else to keep in mind: desk size. I was at orientation a few weeks ago, and I had a few sessions and my placement tests in classrooms, and the desks were tiny. I don't think I'll have room for my 15" on my lap plus a textbook or something else on the desk, much less a 17", but your school could be different. Since my school (Indiana) is so big, I have a huge campus as well as bigger lecture halls which require tiny desks, meaning the 15" was the better choice because it is smaller and lighter. So consider the size of your school before you buy.

And I just realized the other comments about desk size. Whoops, didn't read the whole thread before replying.

21. autacraft Guest

Ok, unless there is a VOID of difference between the Uk and US, since when did lessons involve kids with computers on tables???????

I mean, Im only 32, but NOWHERE in the UK is it common practice in primary/middle/higher/university for students to sit amongst a sea of laptops/netbooks in class or lectures!.....the concept of that seems plain weird frankly!

Teachers/pen/paper has always been a perfectly happy medium this side of the pond and to that end, the debate of 15 and 17" is kinda irrelevant to be honest!

Oh by the way, I can recommend any HB weight pencil for note taking, they cost less than a dollar I expect in the states.

good luck!

22. vnle macrumors 6502

It has actually been very very common with the Universities in the US (or at least around here) especially when everything is given via the internet and we're supposed to turn things in electronically. My school even does math assignments online and get it check right then and there. :D Also, it does make Comp Sci classes easier when you can run whatever code your professor has on the board. :cool: Nearly everyone in my classes carry their laptops with them to take/record notes. ;)

23. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I've had my MBP 17" a bit over a year now. My personal thoughts:
    Weight is not a problem for me. I cart it around in a case, and if I want to carry less weight, I'll sooner remove some other unnecessary crap than worry about the laptop itself. When I'm carrying nothing but the latop, it's light enough that another 1lb just isn't a big deal to me.

I love the extra screen resolution of 1920x1200 vs. the 15" Hi-Res's lesser 1680x1050. With a 15", I'd too often find myself wanting to plug it into an external monitor.

On my lap, the size is just fine for me. The only time I ever have a problem with the size of my 17" is on airplanes. It's a bit big for the tray. And technically, it's the person sitting next to me who suffers the problem. :p

24. f2002q macrumors newbie

I have the 17" i7 and I carry it around everyday. I use a Tom Bihn Brain Bag with a size 1 Brain Cell case. It is big, but since it's my only computer, its nice to have the large screen and high resolution for doing web apps. It is actually not that much bigger (or heavier) than the 15" but you get about a 30% increase in viewable screen area with the 17"

What I like about the 17" is that the power brick is not monstrous compared to my friends 17" Dell XPS... Now, that's a big machine !!!

25. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I carry mine everywhere and use it regularly on the road. I love having the screen size. I have had a 17" always and anytime I have down scaled have always regretted it.