iPad Pro Do you consider the iPad Pro a first gen product?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ghost31, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Or just another iteration of the iPad platform which has been around for 5 years? Was just thinking this because someone said in reference to the iPad pro "don't buy it. It's a first generation product". I don't consider it one but am interested to see what you guys think

2. bowlman2345 macrumors regular

If this is a first gen product, then it's the best first gen product they've ever created. Same comment about the Pencil. Both are just fantastic.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While it technically is a first-gen product not that much is really new.

4. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's first gen. The software is half assed and aside from being bigger, the pencil is the only real innovation. The keyboard connector is pointless. A big ipad can be nice for other reasons but they are going to have to do a lot more for the iPad Pro to stand on its own.

5. fanta88 macrumors 6502

First gen, though it will probably have a longer, more fruitful lifespan than other first gen apple products *looks at apple watch on wrist*

6. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I don't know but I love this device 1st gen or not. I just completed a school presentation on it while switching from my source materials with command tab and leaving a word document up. It's really a fun product to use.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's first gen in the sense that the iPhone was a 1st gen product at the time of its debut. The iPhone lacked an app store, while the iPad pro arguably lacks powerful apps that really showcase the strengths of the hardware specs and the software platform.

You can get one now or you can wait till the software platform matures. I don't think it makes any difference, unless you are holding out for a refresh to bring features like Touch ID 2.0 or force touch.

8. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

No this is a 7th generation iPad actually. It's like saying the iPhone 6+ was a first gen; it wasn't (ok bad example bc that phone was crap)

9. bt311 macrumors member

10. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

It is not a first gen product.

Examples of True First gen products:

1. Original iPhone 1
    2. iPad 1
    3. Apple Watch
    4. First redesigned Intel iMac
    5. Magic Mouse 1 and trackpad
    6. Magic Pencil

iPad Air Pro is just an evolution of iPad Air 2 with incremental upgrades to internal and external components proportional to size increase. It has the same Arm based CPU and PowerVR based GPU architecture.

Usually when Apple updates one component for example screen resolution or pixel count, they deliberately leave out some other area like CPU/GPU. This very fact causes uproar. But this time with iPad Pro, Apple have learnt their leason and upgraded all components within reasonable proportions. Be it RAM, speakers, battery, CPU and GPU.

What we are left with is a tablet which performs exactly same as iPad Air 2 and no iOS feature which leverages it's upgraded hardware. Yeah few tabs and apps reloading sure!

So we can conclude that this iPad Pro is NOT a first gen product. Even Apple's internal numbering iPad 6,8 or (6.8) is a proof of this.

11. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Yes and no... Yes as it's the first super large iPad... But no as it is still more of a beefed up Air 2 on steroids... that happens to have the best stylus/pen/pencil I've ever used. I think the only problem is the software needed to be ready when this first came out, but that's Apple's M.O. these days. They seem to throw products out without getting them properly set-up software wise. (Apple Watch, MacBook, iPhone 6s all sucked for me)

Kal.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

No it's just a bigger iPad. Apart from the pencil and the pressure sensitive screen there is no new technology here.

13. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

it is and it isnt. it's obviously a first in its class, but it's a most well rehearsed and grounded first.

it certainly doesnt warrent some people's staunt 'never touch a first gen product' rants.

14. birnando macrumors regular

birnando

An evolution of an existing product-line.
    A first gen it is not imho, too much the same as we have seen for years.
    I really enjoy using mine though, and professionally at that, so in that sense it is somewhat new.
    I never really used the previous ones much at work.

15. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

How do you come to that conclusion? Have it since day one and still love it.

16. laudern macrumors 6502a

Yes it is a first gen as much as an imac 5k is a first gen.

17. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Most definitely a first gen product. They're introducing device specific accessories like the Pencil and Smart keyboard (with connector), along with a much larger form factor (12.9" is definitely much larger).

If you consider the iPad mini 1 a first gen product, this is even more so a first gen product.

18. cardfan macrumors 65816

It's by far the fastest first gen product that actually might have a longer life than apple's typical first gen product. That it seems to contradict Apple's usual first gen product in this manner would indicate that it's just an evolved ipad..not really first gen.

19. pr0230 Suspended

Yes in many respects it is 1st gen... The recharging is subpar and will be enhance in the next version (WBEITNV)...
    The display PPI pixels per inch is the same as older IPADS so this WBEITNV... 4K or 5K will be awesome
    The battery life is lacking and WBEITNV.
    Maybe apple will ditch the lightning connector and have a USB-3 connector...

Are ALL apps ready to run on the IPP... No Cause its 1st GEN...

Look what is the bottom line... IF you don't have an IPAD get the PRO... IF you have an IPAD 3 or 4 , get the PRO...
    If you have an IPAD with retina display and are happy with your performance , WAIT for the next version, it will be worth the wait, since it cost you nothing...

20. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It took me a while to realize that webintv means "will eventually be in the next version".....

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's first gen in the sense that the first MacBook Air was a first gen. The first MBA was an evolution of the existing MacBook line, but it was different enough from the existing MacBooks that it had lots of teething problems, and had to go through several models before it became truly useful to the masses.

22. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I don't think so because it's just a bigger iPad. As someone who felt burned by the original iPad and the iPad Air because of poor RAM, the using the Pro to me just feels like using the best iPad ever. In that sense it doesn't feel like a first gen product at all. It's familiar but better in every respect and iOS really shines on it.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It is clearly a first gen product. Otherwise, it is something like the 14th gen of the iPhone. :p

With regard to those cautioning the purchase of the iPad Pro because it is a 1st gen device, it isn't because of any lack of quality. For other companies, their first generation of a product has issues. The caution is based more on what Apple will include in the 2nd iteration.

Obviously it is highly subjective, but I don't see the need to rush out and buy this first gen iPad Pro at this time. There is a surprising (for Apple products) dearth of accessories for the Pro. Shortage of the Pencil and Smart Keyboard covers, and virtually non-existent 3rd party availability of Keyboard covers, cases, and docks. iOS software is not yet optimized for the Pro, though that is continually improving.

6 months from now, things will look different. Greater variety of accessories and perhaps even some sales to be had.

24. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

The lack of docks is something unexpected for me. I originally used the EverDock to dock and charge all my iOS devices, but it looks silly when the iPad Pro is mounted on it.

But back on topic, you could say it's one of Apple's most refined first-gen iOS products. I suspect this could be because they focused their energies on it and left the iPad Air 3 / Mini 4 development behind. I'm glad they did this though - the Air 2 and Mini 4 are IMO good enough in terms of performance / quality.

But yes the lack of accessories... to me it just highlights how annoying the pre-order / in-store retail experience in Apple Stores has become - the weakest link in enjoying an Apple product.

25. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I really hope Apple goes with the 2 year update cycle on iPad going forward as some suspect. It'd be nice to see an Air update in 2016 but nothing for the Pro until 2017.