Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The big question is, not will it be a quality scanner, but will it be useful? I'm sure there are some people who will welcome the added security, but for 95% of folk, they will probably use it for a week and then go back to having a pin. It's superfluous technology for the majority of Iphone users and you are running the risk of having your fingers chopped off.

I'd say if it is a quality scanner - then it will be useful. Why would I want to type in my pin over and over if I could have the phone unlock at a single swipe (or even just the press itself?) of the thumb?

And my fingers will probably be safe from chopping at least until I become rich and famous :D

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
I'd say if it is a quality scanner - then it will be useful. Why would I want to type in my pin over and over if I could have the phone unlock at a single swipe (or even just the press itself?) of the thumb?

Yeah possibly. I guess it depends on speed & accuracy of the scanner. The FP scanner on my work laptop is pretty average. Unless you slide your finger across it at the right speed and right angle it will fail. I used it for a month or so and then switched back to using a password. I will be surprised if the Iphone FP scanner is capable of scanning a fingerprint with just a 'casual' swipe and if it's also on a par with/faster than entering a pin. That's where Siri failed for me - technology designed to automate certain tasks, but is not reliable and ultimately in the long run takes longer to complete these tasks. Maybe companies don't understand that people want reliability and efficiency over gimmicky new technology? And I don't just mean Apple. My mate was demonstrating the facial recognition system on his Samsung Note - wow - what a complete clusterfüćk. Rarely worked and when it did took up to 10 seconds before you could use the phone. I mean, did they even test it out?

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I think if they can control the data points, say less for unlock and more for say a bank account or other financial apps or services, it will be just fine.

For unlock a more simple read would work fast and 99% of the time, I see Apple making this happen, its going to be smooth.

More data points=higher security and maybe then you have to try twice, but who cares, still faster than typing in a long code for your bank. Being able to use it in 3rd party apps will probably not come until next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.