Do you enjoy the reverse-scrolling?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jji7skyline, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I just tried to get used to it for a few days, but eventually, I turned it off because I have to compatible with lots of other comptuers so it's just not practical...

So are you still putting up with it? Or have you turned it off yet?

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I enjoy using the natural scrolling with my Magic Trackpad. I wouldn't call it putting up with it as I actually prefer it. The old way actually feels like the backwards way to me now instead of the other way around.

3. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I actually prefer the natural scrolling in lion. It's all personal preference, to each his own!

4. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

After testing Developer Preview 1, I ended up HATING the "regular" scrolling when I reverted back to snow leopard... I actually shelled out 15 bucks to get "smart scroll" so i could have inverse scrolling in 10.6 - seriously, scrolling is much much much much improved now. If you don't like it, that's fine... I can't stand it being the other way. When I use other people's machines, I feel like I am back in the stone ages. I can adapt easily, but urgh. Why would you want to?

5. autofree macrumors newbie

I use it. And I do prefer it now.

The problem is that I'm so used to it that whenever I user a regular mouse at work, I'm always strolling up on the stroll wheel and the page strolls in the opposite direction! I'm all screwed up now. Lol.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Actually I quite like it.

Change is something I embrace when it's a good, and this one is.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I quite like it as well. Once you realize you are manipulating the contents of the window and not the scroll bars, it makes a lot of sense and feels quite natural.

S-

8. Serpent12 macrumors newbie

Its nice on iOS but not on a desktop.. At least for me it was confusing so I went back to normal scrolling...

might try it again soon..

9. mrmister macrumors regular

Get used to it--like Rosetta, for *now* it is an option. Do you want to bet whether 10.8 will mandate natural scrolling? Would you really put it past them?

10. CK1Czar macrumors member

It took a few days to get used to, but now it's like second nature

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I used it for a little... and then applied it to swyping for spaces. I can see why people like it and call it natural; like sliding pieces of paper or moving one's head (like inverted aim), however, I'm used to the "unnatural" way and I'm just going to stick with that for the time being.

12. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I love the natural scrolling feature. It is something I have always thought about in computers because the whole time is was actually reversed. I always told me about them but nobody cared or just said you are moving the scroll bar. There is no scroll bar now so it is actually real.

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Turned it off the first day. It just feels weird on a laptop

14. wxman2003 Suspended

I didn't like it. Still don't. Thus, I don't use it.

15. tootall macrumors regular

I like it a lot now, it feels "natural" :D

The only problem I have is in Excel when scrolling horizontally, but up/down is very natural.

16. jji7skyline thread starter macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Yes, it does feel quite natural, but for the sake of compatibility, I'm not using it :)

17. Biolizard macrumors 6502

When I first heard of the concept, I thought "Wtf? It makes sense on an iPhone, but not a trackpad", but after installing Lion and forcing myself to try it, it has become quite natural and I'm used to it now.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

After the first weekend using my 2011 MacBook Air, it became second nature. Now the "unnatural" scrolling on my Windows PC actually does feel unnatural. I think it requires Apple's excellent trackpads to pull it off, though. I don't think the tiny trackpad on my HP would work well with it.

19. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

I turned it off after about 30 minutes, it's not BAD but it's terrible when you have to constantly switch between windows and mac for work and college related work.

20. jji7skyline thread starter macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Exactly :/

21. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

It's one of the first things I turned off after installing Lion. I'll stay with "unnatural" scrolling for now.

22. Bunker macrumors member

Got used to it and like it.

Problem only when going to work on non-Lion computers like Windows or Leopard... :D

23. MacRum2011 macrumors regular

24. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I really like natural scrolling, it took quite some time to get used to it, but I got used to it 100%. And it doesn't interfere with other computers, since every Mac can now have natural scrolling, while Windows computers don't have trackpads. Well, the ones that do have trackpads are crappy and you can't really scroll with them anyway, not to mention a smooth, two-finger scroll. There's no way Windows will do that, so it's not confusing at all.

The only thing I'd like is to be able to set normal mice to scroll normally. I mean the traditional mice that have a wheel with notches. They're great for gaming, but reverse scrolling doesn't work with them.