Do you envy the Envy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underblu, May 10, 2010.

?

MBP or Envy

1. Yeah I'm bummed my new MBP is not quadcore

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Sorry Apple I just can't, wait my next laptop is a quadcore Envy

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. I don't care what burning hot power guzzling processor they shoehorn into the Envy it ain't no MBP

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  4. The Envy is the Vette, the MBP the 911, a bigger engine is nice but i'll take the Porsche every time

26 vote(s)
    38.8%
  1. underblu macrumors regular

The Envy imo is like a Vette. It's specs read better than your typical Porsche 911 but the Porsche manages to feel more balanced and refined. Truly a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

That's how I feel about my MBP which is why I don't have Envy envy.

2. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

3. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Exactly,it's also like a 1.8Ghz quad core compared to a 2.66Ghz Dual Core i7.
    And macs have way better battery life,and a better operating system.

4. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

Wow these threads just keep rising up from the dead.

Well I am going to be sticking with the MBP unless the Envy 14 has better battery life and efficient heat dissipation. The build quality of both the Envy and MBP are very similar but people would say that the MBP is better do to it being a unibody but others will argue that not noticeable. Being this to be a pro-Mac forum people are more likely to be for the MBP. I hate the fact that my expectations for apple were higher then what we got. But you have to consider your own priorities. Is specs more important than Operating System? What operating system do you prefer? The OSX or Win7? Also the MBP might be under specd but its does of the trackpad which is VERY nice and incomparable to HPs touchpad which had a few complaints in the previous model but its said that they fixed the issue. Also the newer model has a slot load DVD (blu ray optioin) POWERFUL graphics card, more ram, and i5/i7 cpu options. The question will remain:

OSX vs. Win7, High Spec vs. Trackpad and Avg. Spec (enough for most users), Price vs. Performance (can be defined differently by different people), Battery life, and Heat issues.

I am still waiting for the BTS special and get a free ipod touch deal and hopefully by then I will have better reviews to judge the laptop by.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

HP is bottom of the barrel when it comes to tech support & reliability. In addition, the build quality tends to vary quite a bit with HP. This new model has no track record, nor does it sell for a reasonable price.

I wouldn't touch anything other than a MacBook Pro for OS X or a ThinkPad for Windows 7.

6. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

+1

7. Mirabella macrumors regular

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Exactly.

11. Sequin macrumors regular

To me the MBP would be the vette because they're so much hotter and better looking. The Porsche is nice and all, but come on, it's not as sweet as a shiny new corvette.

Although I guess that's more based on whether you prefer a corvette to a porsche.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

To me the HP is more like a kit car. Shoddy build quality and terrible support.

13. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

if the Envy is the Vette,
    and the MBP is the Porsche
    then what is the GTR

GTR FTW, but I kind of see your analogy

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Well as I live in the UK we have these things called 'corners' so I'll take the Porsche every time thanks lol!!
    Although to be fair, the new Vetter is fairly nice and fun. But I think I'll take a R8 convertible or an Aston Martin DBS convertible any day of the week....
    Hmmm, Aston Martin, stunningly beautiful yet not as fast... Yep that's MY Mac!! :D

Oh, and you can keep your HP crap too. Lets see, it has the same Quad Core i7 options as the Alienware M15 and M17. In fact the 840qm runs at 3.2 which is the same as the top end 920xm!! And the Envy has a metal (Rip Off) chassis.
    I, a: like battery life and b: have seen the thickness in person of the Alienware's, and they are plastic with powerful fans

If you think the MB Pro is hot.......................................

15. vant macrumors 65816

The vette starts at like 45k. Your comparing it to 100k cars? Why not compare it to the lp560 while your at it.

The zr1 is another topic however.

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

What i don't understand is how people on this board seem to prefer thinkpad on the window's side. Its the complete opposite of a macbook pro (plain, black, ugly looking, with no stand out features to speak of).

17. MorganK macrumors regular

Not a bit. I have a fully loaded HP HDX-16 and it has been problem after problem. I'll take a MBP over the Envy any day!

18. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Actually, I was in my mind comparing the Aston to the R8. And I would still take the Porsche. I think. Or a black Vette.

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I would never want the envy. For one they did a pretty lousy job copying off of Apple and secondly... as many others have stated... IT AN HP!!!

20. lordofuo macrumors regular

When it comes to laptops, HP doesn't stand a chance against Apple.

21. Raje macrumors member

5 reasons why I don't envy the Envy:

1. Build quality is not as good as the MBP
    2. Envy runs way too hot.
    3. Only 6 hours of battery life with the additional "battery slice".
    4. Bloatware, way too much bloatware.
    5. Trackpad issues. :rolleyes: (That's what you get for copying Apple)

22. macbookpro13 macrumors member

Nailed it.

The 14" Envy may have more powerful processors, but the 13" MBP already runs all my tasks blazing fast. Adding even more power would mean nothing to me past that point. I'd be more interested in efficiency (smaller, lighter, thinner, cooler, quieter).

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

How many of these threads do we need exactly?