Do you even bother with a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do some of you guys even bother with a screen protector? I'm thinking about just a clear case and a pouch to hold the phone in would be enough.

I just peeled off my screen protector a few minutes ago and missed that nice clear retina display. It seems no matter what screen protector I go with, it diminishes the awesome quality of the retina display.

2. schizbomb macrumors 6502

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I use an antiglare one, but is it necessary? Probably not.

4. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Have you...

ever tried Power Support Crystal Film? It's super clear.

5. RipsMctits macrumors regular

That is my problem as well. I'm very picky with the display, but I also like to baby my devices. I cannot stand hindering the display just to protect the screen.

6. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Yes, the iPhone does not have gorilla glass like the Samsung Galaxy S2!

It will scratch no matter what anyone tells you.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope, never used one on either the iPhone, the 3GS and not using one on the 4S either.

I've never had a scratch on any of them. I just take care of it and don't neglect it

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

after over a year (since July) of hard use, the iphone 4 screen is still looking great. Sure, if you look closely while the screen is off, you might find some micro scratches. But those are so small you'd never see them while the screen is on. The screen feels great on your finger without any protectors. I never got the purpose of protecting the screen from any and all scratches.

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

No. They get their own pocket, and that's been fine for me since 2007.

10. mush03 macrumors newbie

cheap ebay clear ones are the best IMO
    easy to put on and easy to take off and doesent change how the screen feels

tip: use compressed air can to blow dust away

11. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I guess the best advice I have received so far from a friend was "you don't put clear plastic film on your glasses, so why should you do so to your phone?"

12. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I second this. I use a cheap eBay protector because those tiny scratches start to build up A LOT over time and I would rather have my screen look perfect. And with the protectors being like 4 for $2 you can't really go wrong.

13. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

Love the power support antiglare... mostly because I can not stand fingerprints and they can last for more than a year.

14. RussellG macrumors newbie

I don't keep my glasses in my pocket or spend a good chunk of my day touching the lenses either.

15. Guinnessfan macrumors newbie

always...im too anal about scratches and my otterbox did rub my screen and caused a blemish or two...it drives me nuts.

16. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I use the cheap ebay ones too. I don't notice a difference in the feel or any loss in quality of the retina display at all. I'd much rather have a screen with no scratches than a screen with scratches.

17. Guinnessfan macrumors newbie

the powersupport clear were good the HD anit glare took away from the retina display....currently im using the invisible shield which is a clear rubber that is applied with a spray kind of like window tints...it doesnt distort the screen at all im very happy with it.

18. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

love these!! Haven't used anything else in a very long time

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    I stick one on all my iphones.
    Its like 6 of them for $2 including shipping on ebay.
    Unlike what you heard the glass on the screen does scratch so I rather have that protection there. I cant even tell I have one on anyway.

20. Guinnessfan macrumors newbie

great prices!

21. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

22. PantalonesSucia macrumors member

PantalonesSucia

For all you eBay screen users, which ones did you buy that worked the best?

Thanks.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

24. PantalonesSucia macrumors member

PantalonesSucia

25. kalt macrumors regular

that glasses analogy is BS. You use eyeglasses an inch or so from your eyes and any small scratches will be out of focus and invisible. And that's the ONLY place you use your glasses. And you don't touch your glasses to use them. Your phone, however, is used in all different locations, and you do touch the screen to use it. Small scratches on glasses are insignificant, small scratches on a beautiful piece of electronics with a super-high res screen are not insignificant. So it's comparing rotten apples to fresh oranges. It sounds clever, though, if you don't give it any thought.