Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you notice the iPad mini has no Retina display after using it this long?

• Nope, I don't miss it at all.

Votes: 114 53.5%
  • Yes, How did I ever live without it!

Votes: 79 37.1%
  • What's a iPad Mini

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
This is for the people who bought the iPad mini at Launch.
For me it's no longer a issue.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Noticing and whether it matters are separate things. I have an older car, I notice that it isn't a new one every day, but it doesn't matter to me.

Good way of putting it. Same here. I notice, particularly because I have retina devices but it just doesn't matter. The display is fine for me. And the interesting thing is that I didn't really think this until after I used it for some time.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Only on Safari, the fuzziness of web text is far more noticeable than any other apps.

The size and weight makes up for everything it doesn't have, i really do love my mini i use it 100% more than i ever used my ipad 3.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yep, I returned it and kept the 4 for which I got at BF price from Best Buy. Totally worth the extra money to me personally.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Just as others have said- I notice but it doesn't matter since its such a great device in terms of usability. Yeah I'd love a retina screen, but I'd almost rather the screen not have the hollowness it has over that. Almost.

babybanana

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
UK
I've never had anything with Retina myself but have played on my cousins ipad 3 and I think that looking at pdfs, going on the web for a bit and using the piano app (garage band possibly? ) was fine.

I don't know if you would consider my view or not, but I did spend an hour playing and comparing with ipad 4 in the apple store.

But I think in the back of my mind, I'll always going to go for the mini because of the weight.

slch

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I notice it (but doesn't bother me).

I also notice that, if apple comes out with this same form factor and weight + a6/a7 processor and a retina display this will be best portable device ever.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I find it incredibly noticeable, yet still absolutely love the Mini.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
yes, and it bothered me.. I have to wonder though, how many of the people answering No have even owned an ipad with retina? maybe a few who like the protability that much more to let the display slide but I bet alot of those either jumped from an ipad 1,2 or the mini is their first ipad....

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Going back and forth I notice it a lot. It isn't a deal breaker, but I do miss it and will upgrade when it goes Retina.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Notice - Yes,
Willing to live without the Retina screen - Yes

This.

Haven't used my iPad 3 in over a week since I got my mini. I'm even thinking of selling it on as I can't envisage using it over the mini often enough to justify keeping it.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Didn't notice the day I had it (I've owned every iPad version and iPhone) and weeks later, still doesn't bother me.

I watch 1080p videos on McTube which look great, Stream videos online which are HD and they look great and Netflix looks superb. Games also look very good.

It's simply not even on my radar, don't even think about a lack of retina

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
iPad mini screen was terrible when I bought it, and is still terrible. Lucky I not have to use, it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.