Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipad cam

• Yes

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 65 73.0%

• Total voters

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
This-is-how-you-look-like-taking-pics-with-Ipad.jpg

Be honest

I have never once used the camera

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
I've used it quite a bit, we're doing some long needed renovations to the house and my other half despises shopping. I've found it easier to just take the iPad out with me, take photos of things to show him later. It also has been a help to keep track of stuff since there are so many ideas swimming around. We're trying to do it all as cheaply as possible so anything that can help remind about a bargain or visual record of things that might work for us is great.

That said, if I had an iPhone or newer iPod touch, I wouldn't be using the iPad to take photos with. It's awkward and clunky to use and I always feel a bit like an arse holding up a bit black tablet in public to take a picture. The button is hard to reach while trying to hold it steady and I will admit that at least 40% of the time I close the app down because my instinct is to press the home button not the on screen button. I also really don't like the placement of the camera in the top corner. I think it would be better being more center top

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
No - because I have an iPad 1 ;)

To be serious, though - I intend to upgrade to the iPad 3 when it comes out and while I presume that will have a camera, I struggle to think of a time I would use it.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Except for demonstrating Photo Booth, I've never used the camera for pictures. I carry an iPod at all times and generally have a compact digital camera in my bag.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
No since I have an iPad1, but I love the sound of a screen capture happening (sounds just like shutter click on a cam) when I inadvertently press home and the power off button at the same time, usually when bailing out of Plants v Zombies to go respond to the sound of my whistling teakettle. For the longest time I couldn't figure out where these "pictures" of PvZ were coming from when they showed up in the imported photos I had on the iPad...

Edit: I didn't vote in the poll. I think I'd use the cam if I had an iPad2, I use the one on my iPhone all the time for work docu in my studio, and often consult photos I've put on the iPad1 that i TOOK on the iPhone and pulled into the iPad1 from my MBP later on.

Last edited:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I've only ever used my iPad's cameras for Face Time. I'm not sure they're really even intended for anything else.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
Quite a lot, just for quick snaps of my robots mainly. I do use the video cam quite a bit but both of those are only at home when I don't want to dig out my camera.

mystik610

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
If I'm in a place where I'm able to take pictures with something as big as an iPad, I'll use my SLR.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
People use them to take pics on vacation and mail them without having to upload to computer first, especially if they like the iPad pics better than the ones their smartphone might turn out. I've gotten some great pics of Alaskan coastal scenery that way. When I ever finally upgrade my iPad, I will probably use mine in the studio sometime instead of the iPhone for documenting my work in progress. Whichever one is nearest at hand is likely to get the job.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I said yes, but I was thinking about video. I've takin many videos with it, not pictures. The still camera sucks

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I've got an iPad 1, but when I upgrade I expect to use the camera quite a bit. I often take photos of pages from books and journals etc to view on my iPad and look forward to not having to copy them across from other devices. Saying that, I imagine that it won't be such a hassle when I've got iOS 5.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The cameras are there primarily for video call use. When I upgrade my iPad 1 we'll use them all the time. Skype works fine on the iPhone, but the screen is really too small for the babies to recognize their grandparents. Instead we often lug the laptop around, which is awkward but at least has a big screen. The iPad is the perfect 'middle ground' for this type of use.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Use mine all the time. Mostly for pics and clips of my grandkids. The iPad is usually laying on the end table and so is readily available. I did use it on the beach a couple of weeks ago. Normally I would not have taken it down to the beach but I was waiting for a Skype call and didn't want to just sit in the condo. I took a bunch of pics of the family.

The quality isn't great but it's ok. Just using it because it's there and available.

AirForceOne

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
If it's handy, sure I do. I took a picture of an HP Touchpad 32GB that I sold on ebay(no joke)...and I sometimes take pics of my pets if they're doing something cute and I have the iPad 2 in my hand.

I'd rather use my HTC Thunderbolt as the camera on it is freaking awesome, but sometimes I just don't have it handy and the iPad 2 is there. As far as ebay if I use my iPad 2 to list an item it's just easier to go ahead and use the iPad's camera for the pic.

Kupp

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Massachusetts
yes, but not for serious photos.

More for like, the cats are doing something stupid, and I have the iPad in hand, and going to chase down my iphone would either disrupt the photo or let the moment pass.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Absolutely! and I use it often. In fact, I just used it tonight at a marching band exhibition. Sent a photo via email while at the event to family members who couldn't attend. They were thrilled to seek their kid on the field.

A few weeks ago we were buying drawer pulls, but the store had only two and we needed five. I took photos of the item, whipped out my iPad while at a different store, and found the same product. Mission accomplished.

Earlier this summer my lawnmower was dripping oil. It was easier to take a photo of the oil drip around the engine then to take the mower to the local Sears store. They looked at the photo (which is easy to see on the iPad screen), and said to bring it in at the end of the mowing season so they could fix it under warranty.

Granted, under low light the photos are grainy. But under bright light, the results are pretty good. My iPad's with me just about all of the time and the camera is handy to have.

iarti

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
I use the cam mostly for depositing checks through banking app. Already saved many trips to banks. It is so convenient! ;)

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Only for a bit of schadenfreude. I'm pretty sure that it is worse than the 1.3MP camera I had on my Samsung dumbphone back in 2004.

I have my Galaxy S for now and an iPHone on the way. The iPad 2 camera is absolutely insultingly dreadful. I don't even know why it has one on the back.

As for Facetime, the camera is completely in the wrong position. Your face is totally off-center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.