Do you ever turn off your watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Orangeman13, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Orangeman13 macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

I’m just curious if you ever turn your watch off to give it a rest and if so for how long?

2. Nathan King macrumors regular

Nathan King

I don’t believe I have ever turned off my watch. It’s not necessary.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Do you ever turn off your phone?

I have manually restarted my phone maybe once this year. I haven’t had my watch that long but I imagine it’ll be much the same. Unless it’s playing up and warrants a restart, I can’t see myself ever doing that.

Now that I say it out loud, boy are these devices reliable and stable after such a large uptime.

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I might restart is a couple of times a year, but I don’t see why I would turn it off and leave it off.

5. Cycling Asia macrumors regular

I've never turned off my series-0 by choice. The only times I've powered down is when things started playing up. I once had the workout app break and whenever I launched it, it would automatically start a run but the stopwatch would never go to 1 second (it would just run the 100ths from 0 to 99) and those occasions I updated. There was also a time I ran it for two 3 days without a charger - I ended up in low power mode for the last day.

But yes, they do have good uptime.

6. tl01 macrumors 68020

7. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

The whole point of machines is that they don’t need to “rest”. I don’t turn off any of my gadgets. Might restart from time to time.

8. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I reboot my Apple devices, including my watch, around 2-3 times a year. My Windows PC I sometimes have to reboot 2-3 times a week

9. Relentless Power, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If there is a time where I’m not wearing the Apple watch for multiple days in a row, maybe where I want to wear my mechanical watches, I do power it off.

10. d4gli macrumors regular

d4gli

Only on vacation when traveling without Watch for multiple days to avoid battery draining. In the past there were problems with full deflated batteries to get them charged again, but I'm still on Watch 0 (the really first one).

11. msi92 macrumors member

msi92

12. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Is this to reduce your carbon footprint?

13. msi92 macrumors member

msi92

No, its more an habbit. When I dont have the watch on my wrist I turn it off, done that on my S0 and doing that now on my S4 aswell.

14. nieks macrumors 6502

nieks

I don't get it. Why do you turn it off? To save on battery? Or what?
    I just slip off the Watch when going to bed, put it on the charger, no matter what percentage of battery, and use it as my bedside clock.

I really don't want to put it on in the morning, and first having to wait for it to have booted up.
    I just want to strap on the watch, unlock it with Face ID on my phone or the 4-digit code, and go off to work.

15. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

My watch is only rebooted when I notice it acting funny (since S0 waited to upgrade until S4). That's it. The only time I'm not wearing it is when it is charging (I then put my S0 on) or when wearing my Rolex.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Only time I turn off my AW is when the new model has arrived and the old goes in the drawer.

17. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

I have two Apple watches I turn one off because, I wear the other for several days before switching.

18. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

I never turn off my watch, laptops, phones, or desktops. The only time they go off is during a software update. My Mini has not been turned off in over a year. My laptops are turned off (Sometimes) when I travel but that's it. I restart my phones sometimes if there is a software issue.

I have had my series 4 watch for a couple of months. I wear it pretty much all the time. So it is either on my wrist or on the charger. Never gets turned off.

19. The Oak macrumors regular

If I turn off my Apple Watch ... would time stop??? ;)

20. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

The battery on my AWS4 drains when it is on a table and not on my wrist. So, when it's fully charged and I'm not wearing it, I keep it off.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Never intentionally. I used to reboot the watch a lot when I got it but I’ve fallen out of that behavior and now the only reboot it gets are during updates. My AW3 is amazing.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Nope never.

23. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

No kidding huh. Back when I still had a PC it ran Windows Me, that pOS needed daily reboots sometime more.:)

24. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I remember printing in windows 95 and if I bumped my desk, I had to reboot my computer because the mouse input froze the computer.

25. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I've had to reboot my watch more times that I care to count. But that's because I have the Nike version of the watch, and the Nike+ app crashes a lot, which freezes the entire watch.

I tried to get it repaired or replaced under the AppleCare warranty, but Apple said it's Nike's problem.