Do you feel limited with 8GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murc585, Apr 11, 2008.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

I'm off to the states today to get myself an iPhone and an incase slider if they have any in stock. I know i will hear "Wait for 3G" but i'm never getting a data plan cause its like $65 for 1GB here in Canada so f that. Now all i'm wondering is what size I should get. I'm not the richest of people (student) so I ask, is 8gb enough?

I brought down my iTunes list to 5GB of stuff i'll actually listen to. I guess a few pics will be added in there (probably no more than .5 to .8 gigs), 2 or 3 movies if i''m really bored, emails, contacts...

Do those with an 8 gig feel limited? I'm trying to justify that 100 dollars more and I'm jsut curious to know from those of you that actually have one.

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I have around 6GB of music and I haven't ever had any issues with my 8GB model.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I do, i knwo some peopel are going to go off with the whole "well make a playlist everyday, i cannot believe you are so lazy" well I do not know in what mood I am going to be throughout the day, that is why i usually have an ipod, so i can carry my whole library with me and can have all my music wherever i am whenever i want, but aside from that I am very satisfied with my iPhone (i carry my 30gb video with me everywhere) it would be nice if i could replace it with a 32gb iphone tho....

4. spooky mulder macrumors regular

well 8 gigs should be enough. i only have 3 gigs of music and i'de never be able to listen to it all.... but what you have to realize is when you rip dvd's to itunes they can be pretty heavy in size. Example...... i just ripped i am legend to itunes and it was almost 2 gigs, so ur movie use will be limited. I would personally go for the 16gb but 8 will do.

5. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

i;ve already made a few, i limit the bitrate so the movies come to about 700mb. I don'te really need pristine quality for movie on an ipod, i don;t even mind them at that size on ym desktop.

6. spooky mulder macrumors regular

yeah i haven't thought about that, but i just have a few essential movies ripped for ipod/phone use the rest i could always just bring the dvd. I just like the best quality. But if you can do that then 8g should be more than enough... good luck with your new toy...:)

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not at all. I get my DVDs converted to under 1GB, and keep a playlist of about 300 songs, 70 movies, 200 photos and rotate them out every couple of weeks, if not every few days. Where's my 16GB? I'll know in June! :cool:

8. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

sounds convincing enough to me. 5gb of music is more than enough I guess, i can always bring it down too. I'm guessing you are all satisfied with the phone, I hope everything go well with the unlocking process and what not. I'll be using this baby for at least 2 years so i hope it lasts me.

In terms of cases, is the slider pretty much the best way to go? I already have the front invisible shield so all I need is some protection in case I drop it.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It took me a while to get used to it, but I finally managed to get a few self-updating playlists that have a nice variety of music on them.

If you create a smart playlist that chooses 1 gig of music at random and then tell it to not add any song played in the last week you'll always have new music to listen to for 16 hours at a stretch. Keep another playlist with you're favorites and your good to go :)

I wouldn't say no to 16 gigs, mind you, it's just that I've found a way to make 8 gigs work for me. With like 3 tv episodes from two shows and a movie to boot. Plus plenty of photos and room to spare.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

personally i have tons of music, but i really don't listen to all of it. the 8GB is nice, but more would be better

11. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I have about 14 gigs of music in iTunes that I always had with me on my old 30 gig video iPod, but I only actually listened to a small percentage of it. Turns out I have a lot of bad music. ;)

So after I got my phone I just went in to iTunes and deselected all the music I didn't care to have with me at all times. After doing this I was down to about 4.5 gigs. Throw on a few hundred photos and some compressed movies/tv shows and I've got myself a fully-functional iPhone with about a gig of free space left!

:D

12. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Personally, I have about 1TB of music and of course that's just not going to fit on any portable device and I've never wanted it to. 8GB has been plenty for me to put on a few hundred tunes, my entire photo collection and a couple videos/movies and I still have almost half left. I don't look at my phone as being or needing to hold everything I own.

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

considering my music collections is around 3 gigs, 8 gigs is more than enough for me. i still have enough space for one or two movies as well

14. JasonK macrumors member

I had thought it would so I sold my ipod video last summer when I bought it, but I ended up buying a 80gb a couple months ago when I wanted everything everywhere. I do not like the apple headphones and I don't like extra wires/adapters to deal with. As an aside: :apple:, please do not make it so "normal" headphones do not fit in future iphone models!

15. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I have an 80 GB iPod Classic and I definitely feel somewhat limited by it. I have a very large music collection and all the stuff I want on there doesn't fit. Plus I can only fit on a couple of movies and a few TV episodes with out having to seriously cut into my music storage space. But for people like me, it'd take 500 GB of storage for me to begin to not feel limited.

16. spooky mulder macrumors regular

geeze how much music can you listen to in one day...scratch that,,, how much could you listen to in a year... 500 Gb really??? lol good luck with that :)

17. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

In the spirit of iTunes, playlists, podcasting and all that encompasses the apple music experience 8gb does me fine.

Making a new playlist on my phone is fun and is much better than constantly skipping through tracks that i am not in the mood to listen to on the go, i used to have a 20 gb ipod back in the day and since then have always had a smaller capacity one as loading ALL my music onto the ipod didnt seem as much fun.

8GB is fine, it'll open up the creative side of your music.

Happy playlisting!!

18. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

My entire music collection is 20GB and i listen to it all on a regularly basis, plus the occasional movie. I only sync what TV show im watching for the tube. A 32Gb iPhone would be ideal and would last considering that i dont only add the occasional CD to my library every now and then or download the remaining album.. I would buy a 32GB iPhone when it comes out to stay with me for the next 2 years...

8GB is very limiting for me especially considering the fact that i rely on iPhone for mail on the go.

19. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I listen to a lot of music and I have way more than 8GB in iTunes. I've found the best way is to rate my favorite albums 5 star, then make an 7GB playlist of 5 star rated albums (I don't watch movies on the go so just need some room left for a few pictures). There has been a few times I've wanted to listen to something and it's not there, but there's always something else I can find. I'm probably gonna wait till a 32GB gets released, depending on price, before updating!

20. TK B$K macrumors 6502

Ive got less then 8gb of music but over 100gb of movies, but i trade them in and out alot of times.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I feel a bit limited after owning a 30GB iPod but you can make do by using playlists. You have plenty to listen to but I'm just used to having all 15 gigs of my music and about 10 gigs of video. But you get a ton more on an iPhone in the tradeoff. I'll deal with 8 gigs for a long while until they get near 100 GB.

22. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Nope. I dunno what I'd do with more space...I'd have to fill it up somehow I guess. :p

EDIT;
    Haha, so I just realized: this was post number 1,000.

23. davincijones macrumors newbie

No Problems with 8GB

I think it depends on what you want from a media device. If you want to carry everything with you, you'll find 8GB too small. Personally, I only have a few playlists that I update regularly: Workout, Studying and Relaxing. All together they're about 3GB. If I know I'll be in the situation to watch a movie, like on a trip, I'll throw one on it and my DVD to Apple TV rips are less than a GB.

So, for me, 8GB is fine. Honestly, I usually have my Macbook with me so if I did need to change songs my library is with me.

24. samiwas Suspended

Since I'm not someone who has to have a soundtrack follow me around all day, 8gb is more than enough.

OK who said 1TB of music? How is that possible? An average live 3-hour concert in my collection is about 250MB. It would take 4000 full concerts to fill 1TB. And at 200kbps, that is 463 straight days of music.

At least he understood the limitations of the device and didn't freak out at not being able to carry his full collection. :)

25. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with some of you that its nice to make smaller playlists. I've been doing it with my shuffle for a year and it usually takes me 1-2 months to get bored of the playlist before i change it.