Do you feel secure in your job?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, Oct 3, 2008.

?

Do you feel secure in your job?

1. Yes :)

52 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No :(

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Things being what they are now and for the foreseeable future, do you feel secure in your job?

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

At the moment I feel as secure as I always have.Of course things can change very quickly but working for a well run company hopefully means we can ride out the current financial problems the world is facing.

3. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I have been looking for a job for sometime... No luck once so ever...

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Yes, I have the experience over the younger crowd, and people will always need a place to live. Apartment Maintenance will always be needed, and is cheaper than calling sub contractors.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I work in what is left of the UK manufacturing industry.

Orders are up and down like a yo-yo. Currently they are down. :(

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Not over here at the moment. Many gaming compainies are looking to Malta, and urs is seemingly reducing IT resource in favour of outsourcing (A terrible idea in my opinion) - thats why I am off to new pastures (rats leaving the ship) ..

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The company I work for isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but I'm just a programmer which they can outsource to India at anytime

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I feel pretty secure. My boss is super duper wealthy and we are in the gold mining business, when the economy goes down the ******* = gold price going to go up. :)

9. olikid macrumors newbie

olikid

I work in gaming advertising and represent a few of the big brands in that environment - looking pretty solid for now... Hopfully it'll keep up...

Booze, Fags, Drugs and Gambling all usually do well in a recession.

I've been pumping anything I can into gold for a little while - Wish I'd started earlier.... Wich I had more disposable income, just in case...

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have a sports related business with a lot of liability attached to it, but I wouldn't want anything else for my life and the attachment to that sport. I am only now starting to learn how to protect myself since I am in law school and every day I am there, I find another feather in my cap as I can relate it directly to my business. I rarely got anything out of MBA school as it related to my business.

So when I start school I hear all these stories about how a law degree is today's new MBA and I was skeptical, but not anymore. I think a lot of the courses, if not the majority, can be put into MBA school's curriculum and dump some stuff like regression analysis, economics, finance, and extra management courses like advanced management and operations management. Have the MBA keep one management course, one business IT course, an accounting course, an hr course, a marketing course, but add contracts, torts, criminal law, intellectual property, and patents/copyright/trademarks if those are the thirty units that would make up an MBA program.

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Moderately. On one side (for one job) I'm responsible for whether it floats or sinks. THe other one, I don't make that much to have be worth their while to fire me (score!)

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The company I work for isn't going anywhere.......... We are actually hiring.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Teachers are fairly safe. You have to be really bad for them to not ask you back. If you're let go in the middle of the year, you have done something horrible, like hit (or hit on) a student.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I voted No cause I am on a contract that will end around Thanksgiving. Hope to find a "permanent" position before then.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've been on pretty shaky ground at work recently. we're retail and i manage the warehouse for the company. our lease was up and its been a hassle to re-secure a location.

i got pretty good confirmation though that we'll be fine though, so thats a relief.

16. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Sad to say, I will for sure have a different job this time next year. My employer is relocating to OK. This sux a$$.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhett7660
    The company I work for isn't going anywhere.......... We are actually hiring.

Mmmm, are you in OC? LOL

17. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I don't really have a job--well I do run several websites for fun and a bit of extra spending money--and I certainly am secure with that. My other income comes from my military retirement pension.

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

My job is secure, but I work as a government contractor and don't expect us to be hurt anytime soon. Can't say the same for everyone around me though.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have to answer "yes".

Or at least: I really, really hope it's secure...I've only had it for 9 weeks, and after a decade of being a freelancer and student, a regular job is just bliss...and the people I work with seems both friendly and happy with my work... :)

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not really.

I work for the US Postal Service, but not in a career position. My job is classified as "long term temporary", so once every year my performance is evaluated and I'm either offered another year or let go. The job is classified as "long term temporary" for a reason though, and that's because eventually better handwriting recognition will make my job obsolete. We all know our place is going to get shut down, we just don't know if it will be this year or the next.

But everyone knew this coming in, so it's not like they are surprising us with this. It's a perfect job to have during college, and that's all I wanted from it.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I definitely feel like my boss is out to get me.
    But I'm having real troubles finding another job. I'm going to have to move out of state AND take a pay cut.. just to get away from this madness.

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Which state? field?

23. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I feel completely secure in my job. Our company posted insane profits (for a company our size anyway) last year and is currently hiring.

24. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

I collect SSDI benefits, sell street newspapers (1$ each), and work part-time (10 hours a week). However I'm a student, studying programming, Web design, and being a virtual assistant. I worry that the currently huge market for Web programmers/designers/content creators is going to get outsourced, and I'll be stuck washing dishes for little more than I was making on social security. :eek:

25. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The vitamin manufacturing business is very good, and should continue to be that way. :)