All iPads Do you feel the iPad is the future ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Jan 11, 2017.

1. max2 macrumors 68020

Basically meaning the main device people use to do simple tasks as surfing the web, playing a mobile game, checking bank statement, writing product reviews, and emailing?

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

It is for me at least. I only use my laptop for work related things now.

3. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I can see the day coming for 90% of the population it could work...right now, it's what I recommend to people who say the "need a new computer" or to upgrade an old Mac...if they just do web, email, YouTube, etc., no reason for anything else IMO.

However, for me, it's not even close. Professionally, I need to run Parallels, work multi-task with spreadsheets, tons of email, 50% of the time on Skype for Business meetings where I need to present a full desktop, I need an external monitor, etc. For my personal use, I do a ton of photography and have a Lightroom library of >100k images that I do NOT trust to the cloud....I need to backup a total of 10TB of external disks for primary and redundant backups. I also do quite a lot of live multi-track recording in Logic Pro and need a large external monitor just to see all that is going on. So, in my case, it's FAR off....I need a truck right now, but would love to have a hybrid like the iPad as my only device :)

For now, the MBP is my tool of choice and the iPad is relegated to a few games and movies on the road (ex. on a plane). Otherwise, even for web browsing, I still prefer the MBP.....for now.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

For portability and basic computing tasks, I think it's suitable to say it's part of the future. Tim Cook's vision is the iPad ultimately replacing the PC.

I think you will find a strong separation on this forum, where the majority of users will say the iPad is easily or has easily replaced their laptop. Where the other demographic, says that the iPad could never contribute to certain tasks they might do on their MacBook Pro that would have been restricted from the iPad.

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Well by the time you buy a keyboard for the iPad and buy high storage if you use it as your main computer there is no real cost difference. Once you add the KB to it there is no discernible difference in form factor to say the rmb 12.

If I could only own one it would be my rmb. For interacting with files and home media with my time capsule and ATV the rmb wins. For just browsing the iPad is okay.

I use VLC to drop videos into the ATV so my rmb is still usable while my partner can get view the video. It would drive me nuts to airplay and have my machine's screen tied up by watching videos.

I could be wrong but if the iPad can browse files on my timecapsule and select one and drop it into VLC to get it to my ATV it would be one function closer to being able to do a vital task for me. I browse my TC and drop from TC to chrome and that beams it to my ATV.

Until it can be used for a media control device with out tying up it's own screen it can't replace my rmb.

If there is a way to do what I am saying and I can still use my iPad while doing this I am all ears. I typically am not interested in watching what I play and simply serve it up for other to watch on the TV while I continue using the net.

The iPad could be the future but Apple is so paranoid about piracy they cripple the device. This doesn't stop piracy anyway.

6. Wando64 macrumors 6502

That, and more, is what I have been using my iPad for for the last few years.
    It is more a case of being the past and present for me.
    We will see what the future will bring...

7. pr0230 Suspended

THe ipad is a vehicle to a destination , so yes , but it will NOT be the only vehicle...

8. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Not for me, and I don't like its form factor all the time, but for most people yes, most people don't use desktop specific apps or things that require high performance (which the iPad is right?)

9. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

my fiancee has an ipad air 2 with keyboard.

she uses it for everything.

has macbook air to put stuff on and off it with itunes.

yes for alot of people the ipads could be their everyday machine.

10. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

It already is for me. I rarely ever turn on my laptop because of all the apps that let me access everything I need.

11. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

I do, thinner, lighter, faster, longer battery life, more apps, better security and more convenient than Macs, so if you don't have to have a pc for some program or workflow, then go iPad epecially iPad Pro

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Too many variables to really have an answer. So many use these devices in different ways, if they own an iPad. Personally I see a smartphone + notebook being the norm. It's the definition of "notebook" is the key issue. A tablet can be used as just about anything. That versatility limits it.

13. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I believe the iPad will eventually become good enough to become a PC replacement for the majority of computer users with fairly modest computing needs. And I eagerly await the day that becomes a reality.

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

AND this is why the iPad is still along ways off from being one's only device (and before anyone goes off on there's always the Cloud - the Cloud is out for many.)

15. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

well for me when i'm at home iPad is what i use with my MacBook the most. my phone doesn't get used that much at home as everything i do i can do on a bigger device.

the fact i can text who i need to on my MacBook is rather big.

for me my go to device to browse the web is my MacBook pro. so much easier to type. my iPad is what i use for my apps over my iPhone like news e.t.c.

I now could never dump my MacBook and stick with just the iPad. both are needed for me.

16. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

she got the ipad air as she thought she could connect her iphone se to it like a laptop and use itunes to back it up.

I was not with her when she got it.
    I had to buy her a used apple laptop as her windows 10 would not work with her iphone.

works fine with a 2008 macbook air 1st gen

17. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm about 90% iPad-primary at this point, so the future is here for me.

At the risk of self-promotion, I've written two blog posts about my transition if anyone is interested in more detail:
    https://markcrump.com/2017/01/03/enough-the-hardware-edition/
    https://markcrump.com/2016/11/29/shutting-down-and-eating-my-own-dog-food/

That's not to discount use-cases where iOS flat out doesn't work for some people and their workflows. I think the biggest hurdle iOS faces is intensive tasks like app development and Office-type apps that need Excel functions that don't exist on iOS and being able to make off-document references.

18. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

for me the ipad is the future in my personal life. not in my work life though. even if it became the worlds most powerful computing device it's tablet/portable form is not conducive for (my) work.

is it the future? i doubt it. i'd say in 10 years from now the ipad will be a distant tech and we'll be embracing that day's newest and latest gadgets, which will probably be a million miles away.

19. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I love the form factor of tablets. I have the iPad Pro 9.7 and do content creation, manage an eBay business, write, plan, game and have done my tax return on it.

For me the iPad is missing three things:
    1. USB-C Port instead of lightning. (No chance of USB-A after what they've done with the Macbooks).
    2. A 'file system app' like Goodreader. It could be a simple interface plug in usb-c cable and open that app and distribute content from the portable drive to other apps or even across to the icloud app.
    3. Mouse support.

Tablets in general now have the power for computing and gaming, in a short period of time they'll probably be foldable and have 4k screens too.

20. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I agree which is why my samsung tab s 8.4" is my primary mobile computing machine.
    other than my macbook i use for work.

samsung supports usb so memory sticks/mouse/keyboard etc.
    Android has a file explorer.

If ios/ipad had these too, then sorry android lost its only advantages (to me)
    I prefer the ios system by the way but with out usb support and no sd slot to expand at present android tabs have a tiny edge.

my tab s is used a lot with mhl linked to my hd tv with bluetooth keyboard (keyboard has rollerball mouse built it too)

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, I believe that the iPad (and tablets in general) will have a future.

Personal computers have evolved since the days of kits and hobby computers of the 70's. With the introduction of PC-DOS and the IBM PC, things became more standardized, allowing developers to focus on one platform with a business focus.

With the advent of Windows, general computing was given a pretty face. But the underlying architecture was overkill for the average consumer. It was still driven by business needs. There were so many subsystems within Windows geared toward the enterprise, that it made Windows more complicated, convoluted, and unstable than it needed to be.

Laptops/Notebooks made the experience portable. But the same overkill applied.

The introduction of netbooks, by their limited nature, caused manufacturers to start thinking about streamlining and stripping things down.

The return of tablets with the iPad (first wave was the late 90's/early 2000's), was the successful result of that streamlining and rethinking. Chromebooks were an alternate attempt to streamline the experience.

As it stands now, the range of devices needed is far wider than ever before. It's pretty much a bell-curve. There is little need for limited function devices like dumb phones, but there is also lesser need for the ultimate high end systems. (there are those who simply want the most powerful devices available but that is not what I'm referring to)

The current crop of iPhones and iPads are serving the beefy part of that bell curve well.

The question will be if and how far will Apple push the iPad toward the upper portion of that curve.

22. Mainsail, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

Mainsail macrumors 6502a

The OP asks an interesting question that is fun to ponder. The line between laptop and tablet is really starting to blur, and that make the question a bit more complicated. For example, compare the the 12in MacBook (rMB) and the 12.9 iPad Pro. Once you add the keyboard/case accessories to the iPad, the two devices are very similar in size, weight, and cost. I could see being happy with either device, so it might boil down to the OS and UI.

They both use multi-touch gestures (screen vs trackpad), but one device is a touch first experience and the other is a keyboard/trackpad device. If you like touching the screen and interacting directly with Apps.....then I would go for the iPad. If you plan to use the keyboard a lot....then I would get the device with an OS/UI optimized for keyboard and trackpad input, which is the rMB.

Of course there is always the possibility of a hybrid device. For example, a rMB that launches iOS when you remove the screen from the keyboard or push the screen back 180 degrees Yoga style. Or, an iPad Pro that launches Mac OS when you dock it to the Smart Keyboard. Today, these features would probably require significant compromises in weight, thickness, battery life and cost. Apple doesn't think the compromises are worth it......Also, they would rather sell you two devices. :D

23. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm not gonna say my iPad is faster than my MacBook Pro (though I'm not going to say slower either) but the fact that it's thinner, lighter, AND has better battery life are the main reasons I use my iPad way more than my MacBook Pro.

24. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

just wish WhatsApp had an app for iPad that gives you push notifications. shocked they haven't made one.

25. Brammy macrumors 65816

On Sierra my MacBook Air is getting crappy battery life. My 12.9" iPad, even with the Smark Keyboard feels lighter, has a better screen, and can handle a lot of my daily tasks. All my blog posts are written on the IPP, and it's my primary drawing platform.