Do you get a lot of stares/comments when using your iPhone in public?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Jul 24, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I feel weird when I use my iphone in public. People always give me these stares. Kind of makes me feel unsafe. This is the 1st phone where I feel this way. Makes me want to hide my phone when I use it.

Would like to see what other peoples experiences have been when using theirs out in public. :)

2. cantankerously macrumors regular

Nope, although I only use my iPhone in my place, with my bedroom door locked, under my covers, while wearing a tinfoil hat.

3. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

I'll just give them the "come any nearer and you die" stare, or the "I've got a knife in my pocket" hand gesture.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

Not really. It seems almost everyone has an iPhone now anyways. It no longer has the shock value it once had.

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I get them sometimes, depending on where I am.

6. appledrone macrumors regular

Either you have been using your iphone in Basra or you have had one to many doobies and getting paranoid:D

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*Cough*
    And how exactly are you using your iPhone then? ;)

No stares here though…

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Yesterday, I got a text while paying for groceries, the teenagers working there all looked at the same time when I pulled out my iPhone.

9. bluelondon macrumors regular

depends. i work in both california and london so i go back and forth. in cali it's no big deal, people are used to it, but in some areas in london you could get shot lol

just be smart, if you're in an unsafe neighborhood, try not to take it out too much or sit around playing super monkey ball.

10. mac'inmama macrumors regular

LMAO. Tinfoil hat. Love it.

The only thing I ever get is people asking "is that an iPhone?", especially the teenagers, young adult set. If it's people I know, they always want to "see it", which means touch it. LOL

Sometimes I feel a little pretentious or whatever with it, but now that they are cheaper, more people are likely to have them, so I won't stand out so much perhaps.

11. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I don't know, I can't hear them over my music, and if someone stares at me, I don't know cause I'm zoned out listening to my music.

I don't care what others do or think, I got it for me.

Though i tend to not pull it out (even if it's a bad song) when I see those kids with their pants down to their knees and their friends.

I always carry a knife with me (Leatherman Surge(I'm a Photographer I need the tools)) but who knows what they carry.

12. steveapp macrumors member

I use mine out and about all the time in Durham, and not a soul has shown any interest - even my daughter isnt that impressed, shes happy with her HTC Touch. Not sure if im glad or dissapointed ;-) sad huh

I remember when i got my first Psion Series 5, which had no where near the hype, and I was using its spreadsheet a couple of days later to calculate costs at a computer fair (very sad I know!) and I was virtually mobbed, it was a bit weird so i went back to pen and paper for a bit :)

13. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I don't get any stares, but someone once commented on my phone saying that it was "nice."

14. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Whenever I use it at work people look. I have a case on it so it isn't easily identified.

15. DevJ macrumors member

i look at others in envy because att has not shipped mine yet..lol

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I live in NYC, where on some days it seems like 1 out of every 4 people has an iPhone (I'd be curious to see the actual number of users in the city).

I see them EVERYWHERE! Yeah, so not quite the novelty here any more, and no one gives you a second look. (I'm glad for that!)

17. slicecom macrumors 68020

I was there last weekend, and this is no exaggeration. I would agree that 1 out of every 4 people in NYC have VISIBLE iPhones, I can't even imagine how many have them in their pockets!

18. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

People give me weird looks when I'm using the stock earbuds and talking on the phone; they think I've gone nuts and am talking to my iPod

19. lokiju macrumors 6502

I have noticed a few glances while we're out sometimes and I've made a point to not take it out when around a group of iffy looking people.

I worry more about my wife since she tends to be a bit absent minded when it comes to taking note of her surroundings.

20. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

not really.. but I do have a fear of someone is going to snatch it out of my hand and make a run for it

21. cantankerously macrumors regular

:D That's great. I love the earbud/ phone combo. No need for bluetooth.

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

No, because at least 1 in 10 people around me usually have an iPhone (Silicon Valley, CA).

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Even though I only have an iPod touch, I get a lot of stare and comments from people amazed that I actually have an iPhone. I am really surprised that so many people haven't even heard of the iPod touch.

24. n0de macrumors 6502

When I got my generation 1 iPhone I didn't get stares, but whenever someone else also had one (during the first few weeks when they were sparse) they felt the need to run up and show it to me; "I have one too!", "What accessories do you have?", etc.

Now my MB Air still gets alot of attention.

Considering all of the bad press I wouldn't let it bump your ego up, it is people probably thinking "what an idiot". I just comfort myself by thinking that they just don't get it.

25. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I still do get some stares as well, especially from the young-uns working at the grocery store. I just make sure that my keys are nearby as well that show my pepper spray keychain :D so they know if they were to come near me or the phone, they would just get blinded. I've had this pepper spray since someone tried to carjack me almost 2 years ago and luckily havent had to use it, but would if I had to...yes, even for a phone. Too many wackjobs out there now.