Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I use a mix. 2 folders on the first page (Utilities and Utilities 2).and many native apps are either in those folders or on screen.

second page has 7 apps individual and 9 folders.

Third page has 5 folders and 8 apps and then the hideous Newstand debacle.

My most used page is #2.

most used are individual and others are grouped in categories. I used to like having only 2 screens, but then it grew to a third page. I need to spring-clean some.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Main home screen is almost all individual apps. These are the most critical ones like twitter, texting, etc. Subsequent pages are mostly in folders for the sake of not having to scroll through page after page. Neatly organized by category (news, sports, photography, etc).

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I Folder all my games but the rest of my Apps just reside on the Home Screen. I have two pages worth of Apps so scrolling is not an issue for me.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
I have everything in folders, however Newsstand is killing me! It's on a separate page by itself. I wish I could delete it... Can't wait for JB...

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I keep my screen clean, put certain apps under the same category.

Boggles my mind that people keep 100+ apps on their phone..

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I use folders for all apps except those I access regularly. For example, Flipboard & Newsrack are not in folders as I access those a lot.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I keep my screen clean, put certain apps under the same category.

Boggles my mind that people keep 100+ apps on their phone..

you never know when you might need it.

However, I see your point when people have 5 things that do the SAME function.. Notes apps, twitters, and ESPECIALLYweb browsers.. HATE seeing folks have every browser.

Dolphin, Chrome, Safari, Photon, etc etc

micahjo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Besides a utilities folder and a games folder, I keep all my icons out and in alphabetical order. I used to try to devise a way to order them by use/importance, then when folders came out, I tried to organize by category. I found it such a hassle to remember what category I put an app under.

Now, if I know the name of the app, I can easily find it. Can't get more effective organization than that.

Last edited:

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I'd love to see how you folks use your folders.. Maybe we could get some screenshots?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
My home screen is for my most used apps placed alphabetically. My other screens are all alphabetical as well and how often I use the app. I place my games in a folder on my last page right next to the Newsstand app that I never touch.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I have all the native apps that I actually use on the front page along with the apps I use everyday... MLB at Bat and Audible. No Folders

On the Second and Third Page, I have a few folders for utilities, games, and such. I have a folder in the upper left position on page 2 and 3.

I do this because I text so much, that I just blindly click for the app when I unlock the phone. So if I locked the phone on page 2 or 3, I would open some random app by accident... This annoys the hell out of me.

I tried switching the mail app with the messages app, but I could not get used to having it on the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.