Do you guys run your browser window maximized

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rgarjr, Jun 16, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm just wondering how many of you like to run your browser windows fully maximized to take the whole screen or have them just a bit big enough.

I used always like having my current app always fully maximized but now that I'm using a Mac and OSX I size them down, which feels and looks really cool.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I do when I'm on my internal 15" screen, when I'm on my external 22" screen, I have it set to the same width as on the internal screen but stretch it all the way to the bottom.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Nope. Just set to a "normal" page width (especially on the hi-res 1920 screen). I generally have one or two open, with several tabs each. They're all on the same Space, so I don't generally have another app nearby (unless for reference - like an open PDF).

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, of course not.. why would I??

I have Safari sized at about 1024 wide on both of my computers.

5. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

The only thing I maximise is DVD Player. Everything else is windowed, though WoW when I played it was full screen windowed on one monitor. I have widescreen monitors so Safari is about a standard page width with some other stuff (messenger programs or text files I'm referencing etc) in the gap.

On Windows I always maximise everything because it feels more claustrophobic somehow and everything seems designed for it. On OSX though, with its better window management, I just spread smaller windows everywhere and zip between them.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes, I do. I like not having to scroll to see a whole webpage.

Also, a bit OT, I don't consider it a behavior I've carried over from Windows; I could've resized my browser then if I wanted too as well.But it seems a large amount of people attribute this behavior to "the way Windows works.". :confused:

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I like to leave my centred on the screen at about 80% (lower res 17" screen) so I can still see my desktop on either side.

I don't see much point to maximising it to the full width, most websites are designed to be 1024 max anyway.

8. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Browser window sits top left corner of my screen with about 4 inches below and 3 inches to the right from the edge (24" iMac)...

Occasionally go full screen (courtesy of Glims) when playing online games that otherwise won't fit with in my preferred browser window size :)

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Yes, all the time, I like to fit as much data on the screen as possible.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my browser windows are about 1024 pixels in width, running top to bottom. i would have them shorter, but i don't like how new windows stack up diagonally.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hell no!

I run it at I suppose 1024 wide, can't stand long single lines of text and huge areas of white empty space.

12. Matek macrumors 6502a

Jup, I do mostly. I tend to get distracted if there are a lot of windows and icons visible in the background.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

And this is why you are wasting so much screen space? Right..

14. belvdr macrumors 603

Did I miss something here? I'm not sure what you are referring to when you are mentioning "wasting screen space".

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

One word: Spaces. I keep Safari on its own space. No other windows to distract, unless they directly relate to those open in Safari.

Well, more words: "Claaaassss! Clean up you Desk[tops]" Not really - I can't say that. I have, at last count 124 things on mine. I just have a fairly neutral background and there are enough of 'em so no one icon/folder sticks out. If they were ice floes, I could tip-toe across and not get wet.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

When maximizing web browser windows you get this. Notice huge white areas (wasted space). Its hardly "fit as much data on the screen as possible"

Attached Files:

17. belvdr macrumors 603

Yes it does fit as much data on the screen as possible. So Apple's site doesn't stretch, probably because it's all images. Why are you basing the entire web browsing experience on it alone?

Other sites do work as planned though, including Macrumors.. Since I don't visit Apple's site often, it doesn't matter.

Attached Files:

18. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I see :)

A matter of preference then, but I prefer having part of Mail visible, Adium chat window, Safari download window and some icons on the desktop visible while using Safari. To me this is fitting as much data on the screen as possible ;)

20. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah I see your point. I use a lot of webapps and the columns of data crunch up to the point it is unreadable, so maximizing, even on a 20" screen, makes a huge difference when analyzing the data.

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I still go with wasted space in that example. The main section's column is wider than most books, making for actually slower reading (for most people - it's your layout after all and if you read faster that way, that's fine). Try the "green" zoom button and see what the app thinks is the optimum size for the page. I would bet much narrower. With most hi-res displays (even moderate) you can then keep 2 windows open side by side.

I think I found the time where argument clinic opens here - somewhere between 0100 and 0400 PDT. :p arggh - it's after 0400...

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

23. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, you better stop arguing, it's time to close. ;) Like I said, I'm on Windows, so I don't have that zoom button thing on OS X. That said, I've never had the green zoom button on OS X make the window much wider. It always made it full height, but not width.

24. belvdr macrumors 603

Everyone should have at least that amount.. :p

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ LOL a fully maximized browser window with MR as the current page is enough to light up my house. I do not want.