All iPads Do you guys think the larger iPad/iPad Pro is after the Chromebook market?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tobeornottobe, Dec 12, 2013.

1. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Kind of an interesting perspective I haven't read or thought of before. What do you guys and gals think?

http://strictlynospeculation.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/is-apple-after-the-chromebook-market/

It looks like the rumored larger iPad is targeting the Chromebook market, especially the Chromebook Pixel. The Chromebook market share is almost non-existent at the moment but Apple could soon to open up a whole new market by perfecting what others have failed. The Chromebook Pixel is too clunky, has no detachable keyboard, and shows poor battery life. It is no match for ordinary notebooks, yet it lacks the flexibility of a tablet. It’s pricing is also too expensive as a toy that you would use for a short while. It just doesn’t fit into any consumer’s checklist.

The larger iPad could solve all these problems. It is likely to have a higher quality Retina display than the current iPads to match the Chromebook Pixel. It probably doesn’t come with a keyboard out of the box, but you can buy third party keyboard to attach to it. Apple is likely to make their own full sized keyboard like the Microsoft Surface. The point is you can buy a keyboard if you like, but it will function just as well without one. It is likely to boast full day battery life since it is a 12-13” tablet with lots of battery space. They probably won’t make it very light since there already is the iPad Air option available.

Why did Apple delay this product a year after the Chromebook Pixel? I suppose there is no real hurry to rush into this market since Chromebooks are not doing well anyways. The hardware is also not a surprisingly difficult task, I may assume, since it is only a larger iPad? I think the real issue is the software. Look at the current iOS 7 on iPads, it is heavily criticised for poor use of screen real estate. There are all these empty screen doing nothing. Also the fact it can’t really multitask. If Apple want their larger iPad to succeed, they really have to step up their game with their iOS for iPad. The best option is having 2 or more apps running side by side on the screen. If they don’t even include such a rudimentary feature, I am not buying.

The pricing is likely to come about the same as the MacBook Air. People can then decide whether they want a laptop without a touch screen, or a notebook sized iPad that can truly mutlitask with a keyboard as option. Inevitably tablets will cannibalize even more of the notebook market.

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think Apple is too worried about the Chromebook.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You might as well ask if an iPad with OSX is after the Surface Pro market.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

What Chromebook market? :p

Samsung shipped less than 700,000 units the last quarter.

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I think the iPad Pro is just an imaginary product. A tablet any larger than the Air just doesn't make sense.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is no Chromebook market
    There is no iPad Pro

Wait, what was the question again?

9. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Lol. There is a Chromebook though isn't there?

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) There is no such animal as an iPad Pro. At this point it's sheer rumor and fantasy.

2) The market for chromebooks is decidedly NOT professional.

11. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well there is a market because I've seen them. Whether or not they are worth buying is another story.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually, I could really see a supposed iPad Pro going after Chromebook if only the cost of the iPad weren't going to be an easy 300% increase over the Chromebook.

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Who even started the idea if the iPad Pro anyways? I think a larger tablet would be too large to make the device usable in your hands. Plus it would have to have a higher resolution in order to be even considered. I think it would be cost prohibitive too.

14. tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

As the article says it is targeting the Chromebook pixel, which is very expensive at $1300-1500...which is just like the price of MBA.

I see a lot of opinions not supporting the idea of going after the chromebook market. It is true it does not exist right now...probably because it hasn't even been refined enough to make any entry into the consumer space. Just like the tablet market was almost 0 before the iPad.

The next new market might pretty much be the battle of the big tablets that can very well replace laptops altogether. Oh it is an interesting future ahead!

I think the larger tablets aren't to be used like the iPad...it is used as a desk computer that can be carried when needed. Yeah, I think the screen could be very expensive especially with a huge retina+ display. But if Google can make it last year, I think apple might be getting the screen for even cheaper next year.

15. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

16. tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly! No one wants to get the chromebook now. Microsoft's attack of the chromebook just shows they are actually scared of the chromebook. This is a huge telltale sign something the insiders are working hard on.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

LOL MS might be scare, but it probably just schizophrenic paranoia.

18. tobeornottobe, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really see why would microsoft would actually want to attack something that most people haven't even heard of...
    I mean the average non-tech person probably haven't even heard of the chromebook at all. And they just heard about it from microsoft and might as well think about it.
    I don't know man, I just think the house of Microsoft is just plain dumb, to be blunt. Google is probably the smartest out of the three (Google, Microsoft, Apple).

Google's coproate culture kind of give me this sense of a witty, cunning team that will achieve whatever they want, through whatever means (but of course they polish their execution to make it seem ethical & friendly).
    Apple is like the enthusiast who got very successful making very premium products. But they are just not as cunning as Google. Apple is pretty proud of their own achievements.
    Microsoft is just stuck in the 90's, and playing catch up, while their execution is miserably poor.

19. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Those are some good points. Maybe they know Google has something up their sleeves....or maybe they are just scared of the cost of a Chromebook.

People buy things when they are cheap. I just don't see them gaining any market that would be enough to threaten anyone. Not even the Linux market.

20. yinz macrumors 6502a

Actually, I think if they made a 27" iPad and have a + shaped stand underneath, it'd be a pretty nice table. Glass top, metal underside. Classy.

Apple is trying to move into home automation right?

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. The current Air is basically the perfect size considering portability, screen size, and overall handling. Anything bigger is just going to be too big and unwieldy. At that size and probable price, just get a Mac book air and be on your merry way.

Not sure what market apple is after with a 13" iPad. :confused:

22. tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what the article says, a real competitor to notebooks, just call it a chromebook since google is the first one to enter such a market.

Again, the larger ipad aren't for use like the ipads we used to know. 13'' are mainly for use on the desk, in an office, but can also fit into your bags when you need. You get more choices.

23. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Samsung will release a 12"+ version of the galaxy note--which enhanced by a wacom interface and samsung ui multitasking--will be a very attractive productivity tablet. Its unclear what an Apple plus sized tablet could offer at this point--but certainly Apple could have some tech surprises in store. I think a surface like device would be very successful

----------

wow--someone gets it!

24. tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

I just think that somehow, someday, 9.7'' tablets will fade away. It is actually in the worst spot out of all the devices.
    Why did I say this? Because if you want true portability, you go for a 7'' or 8'' tablet. You might as well get a phablet instead of a small tablet + Phone.
    Then people would need something with some (not a whole lot of) portability but larger screen & better performance, like a 12''-13'' tablet, for use at home, office, or desk.

Then tell me where does the 9.7'' tablet fit in? Nowhere! It is underpowered compared to 12''-13'', it is not as portable and more expensive than 7''-8''. The 9.7'' tablet just has no mainstream market when the bigger tablets are out. It has no real advantage in the very near future.

Oh I think I just cracked the code as to why Apple increased the price of their iPad mini so much and made it almost as powerful as the iPad Air...They see this coming.