Do you have a CRT TV or a Flat screen TV?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mrsir2009, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Do you have a CRT TV or a Flat screen TV?

I've got a giant CRT one :) I don't get really why a flatscreen HDTV is needed - If you sit 2+ meters away from your TV you don't notice the quality anyway, and the screen on my CRT is 32 inches so you get a big picture.

The only downside is that some stuff thats optimized for wide-screens screws up... But it doesn't happen often.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

"only downside"

other than moving them right? or mounting in a place where depth is a limiting factor?
    ;)

3. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I disagree. I can easily notice the improved quality of a HDTV opposed to a CRT. The quality of a CRT doesn't even come close.

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I've got a 37" HDTV. I couldn't handle going back to a SD CRT.

5. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Probably because I haven't had a HDTV before. But as long as I don't experience the huge quality increase I won't see the need to upgrade ;)

I'd rather spend money on good couches and Macs rather than TV/Home entertainment stuff.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I had some of the later Sony Wega's.
    The picture was unbelievable.
    I still feel that a properly calibrated CRT would rival any set out today.
    We still have a 27" wega and its a great picture
    Having said that if a hdtv isn't calibrated it can look horrible along with the source.

7. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, a modern CRT TV could compete with a regular LCD TV, but my TV is over 20 years old... so I don't think it will be competing with anything beyond the 90s :D

8. Reventon macrumors 6502

I have a 36" Sony Trinitron CRT. It's about ten years old, or thereabouts. It's not bad, but hope to replace it with an LCD in the near future.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Only if the CRT isn't hd. Resolution for resolution however, a CRT does everything an LCD does but better. No backlight requirement meaning way better dynamic range, superior color accuracy, superior response times, superior color gamut, scalable native resolution.. I can keep going on and on.

11. iLucas macrumors 6502

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

14. -SD- macrumors 6502

My first HD telly was a 37" Toshiba Regza LCD. I gave that to to my parents when I upgraded to my current 50" Panasonic plasma.

It's caused a few complications on the gaming side, but decent video processors are available that can take a 240p signal and spit out a 1080p signal with no noticeable lag.

I'd never go back to a room dominating CRT. I used to have a 32" Panasonic that devoured the entire corner of the room, which is ridiculous for such a relatively small screen.

Having a 50" screen that you can hang on the wall is so Jetsons.

:apple:

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have both, a CRT TV in my living room, and a flat screen in my bedroom.

To bad there wasn't an option for that given that many people are transitioning over to flat screen, so they have a mixture

16. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

2 years ago I bought a second hand top range 32" CRT on ebay for only 100 euro. I found the new flat screens too expensive at the time and I didn't trust the quality. As for now I'm verry happy with it I get superior image and sound quality. I've seen and heard flatscreens that cost lots more wich have lower quality. I'm enjoying every euro I spent on that tube.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I had a 28" widescreen CRT until 2006 when it was stolen. The picture was great but no comparison to the 42" EDTV plasma that replaced it. My new 50" plasma is even better now that it has been calibrated. Screen size makes all the difference. My various LCD TVs are pedestrian, however. The last year has seen a dramatic fall in flat screen prices.

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I still have a 27" Sony WEGA TV. As far as CRT's go it's picture is great. However, the 32" Insignia 720P TV that replaced it provides a far superior picture. My current 55" 1080P Insignia blows both of them out of the water.

Though the 27" does a much better job with SD content, VHS, SNES, Turbo Graphix 16 and SEGA Genesis:rolleyes:.

With Blu Ray movies and HD documentaries on cable the CRT does not even come close to the HD tv's. I also have calibrated everything, turned off that 120/240Hz garbage that ruins video quality (it makes everything look like it was filmed with a $100 camcorder), and use HDMI and made sure the cable box is set for 1080i (many techs leave them at 720P). On the CRT I use the best connection available for each device be that component, s-video or composite video with good heavy gauge copper cables.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you can't notice the difference between standard def and high def, you're either not watching HD content or have your HD source (cable/satellite box or Blu ray player) hooked up wrong.

20. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm still rocking my Samsung CRT TV....All 19" of it :D.....:eek:........:(
    I should probably upgrade soon.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That isn't always true.

If the original source material wasn't shot in HD, it won't look any better when broadcast in HD vs. SD. It's a bit like taking an old recording from the 1930's and transferring it to an audio CD.

I notice this because a handful of programs I watch (like House reruns on Sleuth) are on channels not available in HD. The only appreciable difference between these and the same shows on an HD network is 16:9 vs. 4:3.

My upconverting Blu-Ray player displays regular old DVD's with startling clarity. I'm not sure it's noticeably different from an actual Blu-Ray disc.

22. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Many stations simply up convert SD programming and rebroadcast it as "HD". I notice this a lot in movies. Upconversions whether broadcast or DVD cannot add detail, however, and the missing detail can be seen. This is most noticeable if you buy a combo BD/DVD pack and play them both on the same machine.