Do you have a sidekick(notebook) along with your Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by entatlrg, Jul 28, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you use a notebook along with your Mac Pro?

If yes, what notebook do you use?

What percentage of time do you spend on each?

My Mac Pro does the heavy lifting of course, superb for Photo/Movie editing, Server, file management etc ....

Why did I make this post? Well, I have a MacBook Air as well and because it's so damn light, small and easy to use anywhere I find myself using it for 80-90% of my work....

I sort of feel guilty not using my Mac Pro more, but hey, it's summer time, I don't have to work at a desk and the Air gives me a lot of freedom, I don't enjoy working at a desk as much as I used to, although you tend to be much more organized working from a desk ...

2. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Machines in Signature

I'd say i'm about 80% MP 20% MBP

3. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I have a Dell mini 9 running OSX of course I use it mainly for traveling tethered to my iphone makes a great portable solution. I use my mac pro for all my heavy lifting but i find i use my laptop for surfing even at home. so form me 60% macpro 40% laptop

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

2008 Mac Book 2Ghz. About 80% on the Mac Book, 20% on the Mac Pro.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I would say I'm about 50/50 on my MacBook Air vs. my Mac Pro. I use the MBA almost exclusively for surfing and email. The Mac Pro is my serious work machine.

The MBA and MP really are the ultimate combination! :D

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I use a unibody 15" MBP as my main machine for surfing and office work. My MP is mainly for movies and music. I use it for DVDs, BD, HDTV and ripping all those sources (DB I havn't done yet) and transcoding and clipping when necessary. I have a 46" Samsung HDTV with local dimming LED backlight. It is fantastic for movies.

Both machines run OS X and Vista 64-Bit as an option when I need it for internet based tasks and BD playing.

7. goMac macrumors 603

Yep, I have a 3 ghz 15" MBP in addition to a home 08 octo 2.8 ghz Mac Pro, and a work 09 octo 2.66 ghz Mac Pro (company owned, of course.)

8. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Dell Precision M4400 my on-the-go needs, which generally do not require OSX - mainly science apps for some general problems (8 GB of RAM - can't argue) and... email, etc.

I find myself in the opposite situation, however. Mainly I use my M4400 at school, but at home (I guess) the PowerMac is running more often then not, the laptop sanctioned away for GoogleTalk.

I should run OSX on a VM headless so I can at least get my money's worth on renders :D

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I use a Samsung NC10 netbook running Linux Fedora 11 for when I'm away from my desk. Fairly cheap, lightweight, has a reasonable battery life and copes well with everything I need it to.

The time I spend on the two machines is probably around 50/50 at the moment.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yes

I have a whole array of MacBooks, they range from a 13" 2.0Ghz MacBook White, 15" 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro (matte) and a 17" 2.6Ghz MacBook Pro Alu (matte).

I got the 13" for free after doing some work for a company, was given as a thank you gift for a job well done. I rarely use it cause it has a Japanese keyboard. I've owned the 15" for about 2 years and the 17" is it's replacement though it's a tad bit too heavy to cart about but I do live the high res display.... would be nice if Apple offered an higher-resolution on it's 15" range me thinks.

Oh.. and there's a Sony VAIO 800 somehing from about 8 years ago. Think it has a slow ass pentium III running at a sloooooooow 700Mhz. lol

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have a white MacBook but I don't use it much at all. I'd guesstimate that I use my Mac Pro about 90% of the time.

I had a Hackintoshed MSI Wind, too, until a former female friend "borrowed" it...

12. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

As my sig below. Id say about 95% usage MP the rest on the blackbook.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I plan to get a Mac Pro in the coming month; since I use my laptop as a desktop 100% of the time I'm back home and I'm back home 70% of the time, I'll be using the desktop probably 70% of the time. :p

14. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

I have both a new 2009 MP, as well as an older (refurbed) MacBook 2,1 (the old GMA 950 one...)

I'd say currently my time is split about 50-50. I bring the MacBook with me to the office so I can use it during lunch or if I go out for dinner after work. I also use the Macbook when I feel like sitting around watching TV in the house.

Any time I need to do heavy lifting, or serious programming or video work or gaming, I'm on the Pro though.

It's really a matter of whether I want to be couped up in my home office, or out and about, and whether I need the extra performance + graphics capability or if I'm just screwing around surfing the web... Plus, the Pro puts out a TON of heat!

Before I bought the MP, I was seriously leaning towards the MBP 17" to replace my Macbook, but I really wanted to get back to having 3 displays for doing development work on, so I went with the Mac Pro. If I were to replace the Macbook with a MBP 17" I might find myself not using the Mac Pro as much since the performance and graphics capabilities would be a lot closer. Having the MP though means that I can probably get away with a low end laptop 99% of the time.

15. maviso5 macrumors regular

16. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

How many of you guys use MobileMe to keep things sync'd between your various Macs?

If you don't you should really consider it... MobileMe sync is an absolute killer capability. I can't imagine life without it now. Email, calendars, contacts, files, bookmarks... Awesome! :D

17. grue macrumors 65816

Had a 12" PowerBook until about six weeks ago when I bought a 13" MacBook Pro because the G4 is just too slow to be useful anymore. It's a fair bit bigger than my PowerBook was, and I hate the glossy screen, but it's a good machine overall. I really only use it when I travel or I'm watching a movie in bed, though.

18. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I use SugarSync to do the same thing .... cross platform and more flexibility.

DropBox is good to I hear

19. bigbird macrumors 6502

MP & MacBook & Mini

Check my sig for machines.
    MP: 60%, including all heavy lift apps
    Mini: 30%, all web use
    MacBook: 10%, on the job and for watching movies in the bedroom with a 24" monitor

20. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Have a 2.8 octo and a 2.4 MBP early 2008. Split about 70% MP, 30% MBP. Just depends on where I am working in the house and on what.

I use mobile me to keep it synced, but still there are some problems between handling things amongst the MBP, MP and my iPhone. Sometimes if I leave mail open on the MP, it downloads them and I don't get the notice on my iphone. Really annoying and an easy fix, just need to look at. However with graduate school just starting, I am swamped.

Have considered getting a MB Air, but the MBP is fine and I don't take it with me that much to school yet. Was toying with the idea of a netbook or PB 12", but there is no need for a laptop in class, so when I would need one it would be for research or a library, where a 15" screen would be appreciated.

21. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I have a 2008 MacBook Pro unibody (see signature), with probably a 50/50 split on workload. The MBP gets a lot of use out on location or when travelling, but I do all my photo edits on the MP due to the 30" screen and far more processing power for Aperture exports.

22. planethitsradio macrumors member

I have a MBP (see sig) to go along with it.

I would say my usage now is 70/30 with the majority going to the MP. I use the notebook for portability, and when I want to go into other rooms wirelessly. I just love being on the balcony with my notebook enjoying my coffee and listening to some morning tunes.

Oh wait, I am doing that now, that's why I am so happy :D

23. remmy macrumors 6502a

ibook G4, my first mac, how could i let it go? Used if I'm working away from home and as a TV recorder.