Do you have a skin or shell on your MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VMMan, Aug 13, 2011.

?

Do you have a skin or shell on your MBA?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Do you currently have a skin (e.g. Zagg) or plastic shell (e.g. Speck) on your MBA?

2. Nioxic macrumors regular

I've got a sleeve. I dont like shells. :)

Why buy a "beautiful" laptop and "hide" it in plastic etc?

3. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I have the speck see thru satin on my MacBook air 11" and I love it. It's very sleek and barely adds any bulk at all.

Normally, I would leave it uncovered but this my travel device so I would like to prevent as many accidents as possible to prolong its life.

4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Speck black satin. I'm anal about my gadgets staying pristine.

5. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Another no vote here...

I have never used a skin on my computers, and so far I have never had a significant scratch as I am very careful with my computers.

I have always used sleeves, though and those worked well without adding bulk.

6. Tiggs macrumors 6502

7. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

I have a Speck black satin shell on my 11" Air. Its okay but I'm not a huge fan. I have ordered a Wrapsol for the Air. When it gets here that will be the last of the Speck.

I have had at least 7 Zagg Invisible Shields for various devices. This will be my first Wrapsol. I was pretty happy with the Invisible Shields and Zagg's service; just thought I'd try something new.

m&c

8. meistervu macrumors 65816

I don't use a skin or shell. I did think about something for the bottom of the MBA to insulate myself from the heat when the MBA got warm. But for what I am doing recently, the MBA stayed cool enough that I didn't think about it anymore.

I am reasonably careful with my MBA, and the thing is make out of aluminum, not wax or some sort of soft material, so I think I will be OK with the general wear and tear.

Besides, it is a shame to cover up such a beautiful and thin design with plastic or glorified vinyl (the so call carbon fiber stuff :). Well, I am being a bit bias because I don't think too much of carbon fiber on a laptop, but a wood skin may be interesting. So yes, I see that I would consider a skin as a decoration, but not a thick shell.

Back to the bottom heat, does any one know of a thick skin like material that is designed for the purpose of keeping the heat off your lap? I am not talking about lap desk (I am making one for myself).

9. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

i have clear power support air jacket. its sweet doesnt add any bulk.

10. qwerf123 macrumors regular

Got an iCarbons on mine!!!

Thinking of changing it to an invisible shield though

11. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

12. turbotoes macrumors regular

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Waste of money IMO. It's not like this is some kind of work of art, it's a laptop. As long as it works, what's a few scratches and scuffs ?

14. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

My same thinking

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Blue plastic Speck see thru case on my 11". I love the way it looks but it has two cracks on one side and I'm not sure how that happened

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Try to change the post for voting options to read "skin" or "shell". Yes or no doesn't cut it.

FWIW, skin.

17. philophob macrumors newbie

I just bought mine too and I was looking at the Power support air jacket. Its price bit steep however, it looks very sturdy and light.

How thick are they? Does the air jacket interfere with screen bending over 90 degree? (Some plastic ones are thick and they block how much you can bend your screen)

I tried to find some reviews on this thing however it is pretty new and I couldn't find any.

Can you give us some feedback on this product?

Also I am trying to figure out if the newest MBA 13 has the exact same external case dimension as previous model MBA 13.
    I want to put an invisible shield but can't find one that says it fits newest MBA 13.

So please can someone help me here? ;)
    Thanks!

18. chazmink macrumors member

I went with Bodyguardz but didn't install it on the trackpad.

19. appleforme macrumors member

I went with BodyGuardZ black carbon fiber skins. Looks and feels great. I didn't like the skin on the trackpad initially, but I've come to like it now and will leave it on.

20. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I use to be all about shells and skins keeping my gadgets pristine, until I thought about it and realized I'm trying so hard to keep the gadget sleek and clean, but I'm distracting from the beauty of the industrial design by covering it up. Why lust over the design of the macbook air when you are just going to over it all up with big pieces of plastic?

Besides with the least little care you can avoid most scratches and dents.

21. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

You could easily avoid dents and scratches if it doesn't leave your home but when you're commuting to Uni everyday and shuffling it in and out of your backpack in between classes, a case saves you quite a bit of heart ache.

22. glen e macrumors 68030

Once again we have people issuing exactly what is right and what is wrong. And they have no capability to realize some may use the MBA in another way. For those of you that love the "industrial design" and think with a little care you don't need anything, that may be fine for you. But some of us haul our MBA's in and out of bags every day on the road, end up at construction sites and other situations where it is very easy to scratch it or mark it. For us, cases, bookbooks and skins make a lot of sense.

If it was just sitting on my desk as a home unit all the time, I would be able to marvel in it's nakedness too but that ain't the case for me. Mine runs keynote about 200 days a year in car dealerships on the front desk and then gets thrown into a waterfied cargo bag an on the next plane. I like protection.

I wish some of you that issue proclamations could see thru others eyes some times...

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Besides providing protection, the non-clear skins give a little bit of individuality.

Blackbook Air!:D

24. caubeck macrumors 6502

I have one of those black two-part plastic shell things. I carry the top half with me when I'm going to sit with the MBA at a table outside a bar in the evening. Why? To cover the luminous apple logo and not attract so much attention from passers by. Otherwise, I don't use anything.