Do you have quicktime on your dock?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Kindof a silly question, but I always notice Quicktime on people's docks... WHY?! I can't think of a single reason to open quicktime on its own. Sure, I use Quicktime often to view movies, but I always open the movie (which opens quicktime).

In conclusion - what's the point of having quicktime on your dock?!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I used to remove it, but, now that I use it all of the time to record meetings at work, I put it back. Otherwise, yes, I'd agree that few people need it there.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
peterparker said:
Nope for me. For most it is probably just there because it is the default set of applications on the dock.
That's what I figure, but it drives me crazy that not everyone wants to economize their screen space. Maybe I just need to chill out.

and btw, JSW - I had no idea that quicktime could record movies and audio! that's a pretty sweet feature, MacRumors teaches me something new every day...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
ero87 said:
and btw, JSW - I had no idea that quicktime could record movies and audio! that's a pretty sweet feature, MacRumors teaches me something new every day...
It's a Pro option, but very, very handy. I'm now the semi-official meeting archivist at work. I have an iSight in the MBP, but keep a separate iSight and FW cable for use in meetings.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
I don't put them in the dock, but I do put them at the top of finder windows (alongside Preview, VLC and flipformac). Just because its appropriate/quicker to drop on the right app needed at the time rather than clicking for the assigned file type.

window.jpg

zorg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2006
I have it on my dock because I like it. With all the video codecs I have for quicktime, I never will have to use VLC or mplayer again!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Nope, as you can see, it is nowhere to be seen. If I ever play a movie which needs it, I just open the movie itself and let QT launch automatically. Otherwise, I never use it. I don't have QT Pro either.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Sometimes people host a Quicktime movie and don't let you download it. So if I want it, I look at the page's source, find the link to the .mov file. Then I open quicktime, press "control + U" and, paste the link in there. It opens it in a new screen, and I can save it.

I know it's wrong to take videos people don't want me to have, but eh. They're not copyrighted, and I say they weren't really trying if it can be circumvented that easily. And if something has to download onto my computer...I consider it mine.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
indigoflowAS said:
i do have QT in my dock. quick conversions...and next to it is VLC in the case that a file does not like QT.:)
Thats the same with me. Also, as others have mentioned, its a pretty cool icon ;) :cool:.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
mad jew said:
I agree. Half the icons in my Dock are unused and half the apps I use are not dwelling within my Dock... I'm a sucker for a pretty screen.
favorite icon is the Automator icon and i don't really know how to use automator. (except i did make one successful workflow!) (with 2 actions!)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i don't.... i'm spoiled and use spotlight to find apps that aren't on my dock or i'm too lazy to move the mouse...i love command spacebar..

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I have mine in the Dock, so I can drag & drop media files (like MP3s I dont want to copy to iTunes) to play. Some conversions also :)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Mine's in there because I never quit it. I'm not sure if it would stay or go if I closed it. That way movies load pretty much instantaneously. Same thing with leaving iCal, Address Book, iTunes, Safari, MS Word, PS Elements, iPhoto... I just never quit them.