do YOU have Resume enabled or disabled?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Benz63amg, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

like the title says, do you have it enabled or disabled? does having it enabled use more CPU/Ram?

2. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I'm very happy with Resume. The few programs that I don't want to resume (usually stuff like Preview or temporarily used apps, like TextEdit, etc), I can just hit Option-Command Q to quit and discard all the windows that went with the app.

I love having all my Spaces just repopulate with everything I was doing on those rare times I need to reboot. I can be back up and running much quicker this way.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have resume on but I often disable it at the time I reboot. I've got mixed feelings about the lack of save as. I can duplicate, then go out to finder and rename it to what I was going to save as. This seems like an extra step.

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Enabled. I love that function. Especially the fact that I'm now free to close apps with unsaved documents and have them waiting for me whenever I return to the app. Or generally that I don't have to worry about losing an application's state when it crashes or I just temporarily want to get the app out of the way possibly while being RAM constrained or the system has to be restarted, or, or, or....To me, that's how it always should have worked.

6. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

first thing I disabled. I didn't use it on Linux 10 years ago, not gonna use it now

7. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I still have mine enabled, but I rarely shutdown, so I can't say I use it much.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Disabled.
    I like to reboot in non-geologic time frames.

9. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

it has nothing to do with shuting down, Resume saves the state of the app when you quit it and then when u reopen it resumes from where u stopped.

10. godzilla1200 macrumors member

When you have Resume disabled, by hitting Cmd+Opt+Q you get "Quit and keep windows" instead of "Quit and discard windows" which is what you get when enabled.

I find it better this way (disabled) because I don't use it much, so I don't have to opt+cmd+q every time. However, I think it is a great feature when needed.

I also love Versions and auto save. It is way better implemented that in Windows or other app I have used before.

11. Amberfool macrumors member

I have it enabled. No idea how it's affecting my computer because I haven't turned it off, but everything is nice and quick so far, aside from a couple of annoying bugs. Hopefully when other apps like MS Office start to integrate it into their programs it can work even better then it does now.

12. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

Yea, I have it turned off on my computer, my female keeper keeps it turned on on her air. Really my only gripes with lion these days are some intermittent wifi issues, intermittent air disk issues, and the safari memory leak being a pain in the arse.

Oh, and finder doesn't automatically launch at start up for me... kind of weird. It delays other apps starting, even when I have the box ticked to reopen closed apps.

That said, WAY better than DP1 and 2, even with updates.

13. bully worm macrumors regular

How can one disable this for good? Shutting down still brings up that dialog with the checked box.

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

15. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Disabled - it annoyed the hell out of me. However, you can temporarily re-enable it by quitting apps using [ Alt + Cmd + Q ], which will bring back their windows. I never had to do that yet though.

16. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Disabled

It's one of them things I always hated when apps did this in the past

When I close a document I am usually finished with it, dont need them reopening as default

17. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i just disabled it myself too, useless feature.

18. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It's reasonable to suspect this is a bug. Hoping the next release remembers the state of the checkbox so you don't have to keep toggling it.

19. canadianpj macrumors 6502

20. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

disabled. i don't ALWAYS go back to the same places and apps on reboot...

21. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

For me it's not so much that I always intend to go back to the same apps on reboot, but that I don't just want to have the computer forget about documents or apps that are still open and arranged in a certain way. I'll close any documents or apps once I'm done with them, but as long as I haven't done that, I'm thankful if the computer keeps them open, regardless of whether there was a need to reboot in the meantime. In fact, I wouldn't even ever reboot if my computer didn't force me to do so from time to time. But as long as there's a need to reboot, not noticing that the computer just rebooted is the next best thing.

Unfortunately, the whole Resume implementation is still a bit buggy and of course not supported yet by a lot of apps. It's quite annoying that many(all?) apps will open a window after a restart even if one wasn't open before, just because the app was running.

22. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Disabled

I do appreciate what it is trying to do but it is often kind of confusing when I am trying to open just one file (instead of choosing to open an application) and all these other windows pop up.

I also notice that when I have resume checked after reboot some of my older programs become unstable.

It is a shame because otherwise it would be a nice feature. Kind of wish Apple would just embrace hibernating (not the same I realize) but it seems more forgiving of application compatibility. Kind of weird to need a 3rd party app for something so useful and basic.

23. MrWaffles macrumors member

Most of the time I uncheck it when I reboot. Sometimes I will leave it if I am installing something or messing around in Finder.

24. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Currently enabled. I wish you could turn it off per app (not sure whether you can or not), as I don't need that functionality in a browser. It's useful, though, for things like TextEdit.