iPhone XS Max Do you have scuffs on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatiPhoneKid, Mar 21, 2019.

1. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone’s on a daily basis one for work and the other for my personal use, and they seemed to have accumulated a thew scuffs on the screen and on the back, especially micro scratches. I was wondering if anyone else has scuffs and scratches on there iPhones and if so do they bother you?

2. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

my phone is four years old and I've never noticed a scratch or scuff - and I never even think of looking for them

4. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

My old iPhone SE that I have had for over 2 years (no screen protector, just a cheap eBay case) is scratch free. The screen is immaculate. The work iPhone 8 I have is COVERED both front and back in micro scratches (no screen protector or case). My own personal iPhone 8 that I have had for almost 2 months has a screen protector and a cheap eBay folio - no scratches.

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Generally my phones are in pretty top notch condition always. I take care of the devices and am always mindful about where I’m putting them down. No scratches or scuffs.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

No because I keep them in a case and use a glass screen protector.

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Me too.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My MAX is still like new. Use a very thin Sedio Surface case and no screen protector.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Actually, scratch/scuffs do annoy me. Fortunately I have not had that issue with my iPhone, and I don’t use a screen protector or a case. I’m just cautious how I handle it, and my number one rule, is I don’t set my phone down on a hard service unless something is soft underneath.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I have 2 young children so I’m not always in control of exactly how my phone is handled. As even though I might try and keep them away from it sometimes they find it. So I have to use a case and screen protector as like you I would be annoyed by scuffs and sratches.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

At least you’re smart enough to realize to use a screen protector and case in your situation.

Otherwise, you know...the threads that we see others blaming Apple because they didn’t use any protection for their iPhone, like-

My kid threw my iPhone across the room and it broke, I can’t believe Apple didn’t make a more durable phone.”

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I have insurance too just in case my protection falls short.

I was the opposite. My toddler threw my Xs max down our stairs and I was suprised that it wasn’t broken. However I still don’t take any chances. Case and glass screen protector and Apple care.

13. pika2000 macrumors 601

My launch 6S has scuff on the bottom side where frequent contact with headphone jack and lightning cable happens. At first, it annoyed me, but at this point I came to accept it as part of life.

The problem is the second hand reseller that use cosmetic issue to push prices down. So this creates the obsession by people to keep their phones as pristine as long as possible for resale value, and some users ending up not enjoying using their phones merely due to this obsession.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think it’s generally that. I think when you purchase a smart phone (More specifically, an iPhone) they’re generally very expensive, and you have those who want to take care of it, not just for the resale value, but simply because how expensive the smart phones are to be repaired today without AppleCare. And the majority of smart phones that are used on the market, they don’t have AppleCare. So when you shatter a display, it’s only in someone’s best interest likely to have a screen protector or a proper case to help prevent accidents as noted in above examples in this thread.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I agree. My Xs max costs £1,250. That’s a lot of money so I’d rather use a case and screen protector and get Insurance/Apple care than have to pay to have to replaced or fixed if it gets damaged or lost/stolen.

16. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I have a XS Max and use a tempered glass protector, a case and AppleCare as well. I too have children, one who is 7 and the other is a toddler. Without the added protection my XS Max would’ve been broke by now. My son can climb anything to get your phone and will throw it in a heartbeat. Ever since I had kids, I’ve always had AppleCare, a screen protector and a case on my iPhones. Scratches and scuffs would annoy me everyday looking at them.

17. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

A smart phone is a tool, not an item of jewellery.

18. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I agree 100% with you. It irks my nerves when people say use your phone as it’s intended to be used. That’s okay and everything, but who want a $1000+ device to have cracks and be broken in the process? I know me personally after paying for the device, AppleCare and accessories, I don’t want to pay for anything that could’ve been prevented.

19. internetrando macrumors 6502

internetrando

It’s glass. It scratches.

The olephobic coating is soft and will show imperfections with use. That’s just how it goes. Odds are that if you see micro-scratches they are:

1) The oleophobic coating

2) Something that you really shouldn’t care about. Find more important things in life to focus on.

It’s a tool that you use for hours a day. It’s going to get some character.

20. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Going by the logic that if a phone's just a tool, then if my tool breaks, I can't get my work done. I use a case, screen protector and I have Applecare on my phones. Even though my son is older now and unlikely to throw it across the room, or down the stairs as has been known to happen, accidents do happen (had a friend's dog knock a phone out of my hand once). I don't care about cosmetics myself but I usually sell my phones privately after I upgrade and I'm able to get top dollar since my phones are in mint condition.

21. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I have a couple scratches on the screen of my Xs, but other than that, the device is in great condition.

I only have a skin on the back of the phone too.

22. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a small line scratch, very faint at the top of my iPhone, it’s been there since out of the box, I always feel if you look hard enough you’ll find scuffs, even on a brand new iPhone.

23. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

Bought it on day one and it’s still flawless, as far as I can see.

24. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

I have some on my screen. I have no screen protector. I don’t see scuffs on the side. I do have a case though.