Do you have spring allergies?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Mar 11, 2012.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

This year's warm winter has me concerned about spring pollen. I usually don't have an allergy problem, but I was pretty bad last spring. If it starts up again, I'll see an allergist.

2. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Yes, and allergy levels were pretty stinkin' high yesterday. Damn Claritin-D is about $20 for a 15 day supply. :mad:

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm fortunate enough to not suffer from any allergies... at least allergies that I know of.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, I suffer from fairly significant seasonal allergies, in fact its pretty awful for me from spring till the first frost. I'm not sure what's worse, when everything starts blooming or ragweed season. I'll be starting my medicine shortly to mitigate some of the symptoms

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Same here.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I never suffered allergies until I moved into the countryside surrounded by rape oil seed plants. Now I have been "activated" and I sneeze like a howler monkey every spring, although it seem to be improving. Currently, I am surrounded by hay fields and I own a long hair cat. I guess I'm somewhat of a masochist. Nettie pot is what I use.

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm already dying. Been taking over the counter medicine for almost a month already :(

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Claritin has been a godsend to me. I only need to take it a few days each year, but when I do, its the difference between being a miserable human being, itchy eyes and streaming nose, and reasonably comfortable.

One thing I've discovered about allergies: Its important to "break the cycle." In other words, once I'm really suffering it seems to feed on itself. Itchy eyes mean more rubbing them, etc. etc. I've found that going someplace with "processed" air, like a movie theater or shopping mall, for a few hours can do the trick. At home, I find hot, steamy showers help.

Another huge factor, for me at least, has been eliminating as many dust-sources as possible. Hardwood floors, rather than wall-to-wall carpeting. Vacuuming and steam cleaning mattresses twice a year. Rigorous dusting schedules, and HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaners. I also found that cutting down on the number of household chemicals I use has helped: Floors washed with vinegar and warm water, etc.

And, of course, it also means no pets for me. And I have to be very careful when I visit a friend who has them.

10. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I hear ya! I've already got a sinus infection too...

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Initial exposure to the sunlight makes me sneeze. For some reason the it tickles my eyes and sinuses, but it passes after I achoo a couple of times. I am outdoors a lot, and don't have a problem with the sunlight other than that. Wierd.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The best thing I ever did as a kid was get allergy shots, they were a pain in the ass but well worth it.

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's called Photic sneeze reflex. It happens to me too.

14. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It started hitting me about two years ago. Last year it got really bad, I couldn't even be at work, my eyes were constantly hurting and bloodshot. Completely out of comission.

Just hoping for a better spring...

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Sometimes. Some years I rarely suffer and others are so bad I wish my nose would fall off.

So far this year I am not bothered.

I haven't noticed a trend concerning the weather, and yes, this year is way to warm already. It's march and we are already in the 70s and March is our snowiest month usually.

16. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Nope, I don't have allergies of any sort that I know of.

17. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

18. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I have seasonal allergies. These past two weeks have been miserable :( but, thank goodness for Allegra OTC

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not allergic to springs, or any other metal objects.:rolleyes: :p

20. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yeah. They're definitely not horrible, but I'd prefer not to have allergies...

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, hayfever hasn't struck me yet this year. But it will. Oh boy it will!

Worst part of it is sneezing so much I get a nosebleed, nosebleed stops, sneeze again, awesome blood splatter effect over whatever happened to be infront of me (hopefully hands or hanky).

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Thanks for the reference. Apparently about 35% of population has this neural malfunction.

23. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

I get terrible spring allergies every year. It took years to find something that worked. I've been on Allegra for a few years, when it was a prescription-only, and so far it's the only med I found that works. Thankfully it's OTC now.

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

this