Do you have spring allergies?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
This year's warm winter has me concerned about spring pollen. I usually don't have an allergy problem, but I was pretty bad last spring. If it starts up again, I'll see an allergist.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Yes, and allergy levels were pretty stinkin' high yesterday. Damn Claritin-D is about $20 for a 15 day supply. :mad:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yup, I suffer from fairly significant seasonal allergies, in fact its pretty awful for me from spring till the first frost. I'm not sure what's worse, when everything starts blooming or ragweed season. I'll be starting my medicine shortly to mitigate some of the symptoms

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I never suffered allergies until I moved into the countryside surrounded by rape oil seed plants. Now I have been "activated" and I sneeze like a howler monkey every spring, although it seem to be improving. Currently, I am surrounded by hay fields and I own a long hair cat. I guess I'm somewhat of a masochist. Nettie pot is what I use.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'm already dying. Been taking over the counter medicine for almost a month already :(

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Yes, and allergy levels were pretty stinkin' high yesterday. Damn Claritin-D is about $20 for a 15 day supply. :mad:
Claritin has been a godsend to me. I only need to take it a few days each year, but when I do, its the difference between being a miserable human being, itchy eyes and streaming nose, and reasonably comfortable.

One thing I've discovered about allergies: Its important to "break the cycle." In other words, once I'm really suffering it seems to feed on itself. Itchy eyes mean more rubbing them, etc. etc. I've found that going someplace with "processed" air, like a movie theater or shopping mall, for a few hours can do the trick. At home, I find hot, steamy showers help.

Another huge factor, for me at least, has been eliminating as many dust-sources as possible. Hardwood floors, rather than wall-to-wall carpeting. Vacuuming and steam cleaning mattresses twice a year. Rigorous dusting schedules, and HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaners. I also found that cutting down on the number of household chemicals I use has helped: Floors washed with vinegar and warm water, etc.

And, of course, it also means no pets for me. And I have to be very careful when I visit a friend who has them.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Initial exposure to the sunlight makes me sneeze. For some reason the it tickles my eyes and sinuses, but it passes after I achoo a couple of times. I am outdoors a lot, and don't have a problem with the sunlight other than that. Wierd.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The best thing I ever did as a kid was get allergy shots, they were a pain in the ass but well worth it.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
It started hitting me about two years ago. Last year it got really bad, I couldn't even be at work, my eyes were constantly hurting and bloodshot. Completely out of comission.

Just hoping for a better spring...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Sometimes. Some years I rarely suffer and others are so bad I wish my nose would fall off.

So far this year I am not bothered.

I haven't noticed a trend concerning the weather, and yes, this year is way to warm already. It's march and we are already in the 70s and March is our snowiest month usually.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I have seasonal allergies. These past two weeks have been miserable :( but, thank goodness for Allegra OTC

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yup, hayfever hasn't struck me yet this year. But it will. Oh boy it will!

Worst part of it is sneezing so much I get a nosebleed, nosebleed stops, sneeze again, awesome blood splatter effect over whatever happened to be infront of me (hopefully hands or hanky).

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
I get terrible spring allergies every year. It took years to find something that worked. I've been on Allegra for a few years, when it was a prescription-only, and so far it's the only med I found that works. Thankfully it's OTC now.