Do you have to repurchase apps on other mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soundhound, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I have Garageband on my imac and macbook pro (and iPad). I want to use it on my imac at work. Do I have to repurchase it, or can I just download from the app store?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Garageband comes with Mac OS X. You don't have to buy it separately.

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not on this mac at work though. need to use my own copy.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have the install disc for the work Mac, you can install Pacifist to extract the app from the install disk.

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't, it's the company's mac and all the install stuff is done by IT. It'll be fine to put on here, but have to do it myself and fly under the radar.

Can I not download from the App store without getting charged?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure about that, as I've never bought it, apart from having it bundled with a new computer.

7. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Did you buy it from the App store in the first place? If so then as long as you are using the same itunes account you can download apps you buy in Mac Appstore to your other computers without repurchase. It will just be in your purchase history to download or go to the app and install. But this is only if you bought from MAS not if you used discs that used to come with new macs.

8. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I bought it from the App store. Definitely on my iPad, probably on my macs as well.

9. gorskiegangsta, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

If you have purchased GarageBand from the Mac App Store you will be able to re-download it for free on any Mac registered to that account.

10. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went ahead and bought it on my iMac at work. I used my iTunes account. It charged me $14.99. Should it have charged me?

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

App Store license is for individual use. Business use requires one license per computer.

If you bought it on same account then it will not charge you again. If you got charged, you did not buy it with that account.

12. fluffyroo macrumors newbie

This is all going to depend on how new your iMac and Macbook Pro are. For instance, my Mac Mini purchased with Lion pre-installed, had me log into my AppleID upon initial setup, and thus tied the iLife apps to my Mac App Store. I then could go to my 2010 Macbook Pro which did not ship with Lion (but was upgraded), and install the newest iLife apps from the Mac App Store under the "Purchased" tab. If your macs were not preinstalled with Lion, you will need to purchase the newest 2011 versions of the iLife apps from the Mac App Store. Hope this clears up some confusion!

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

For apps from the App Store, the rules depend on the situation:

1. For non-commercial use, you can download to any number of computers that you own or control.

2. For commercial use, you can either download to any number of computers that are used by you and nobody else, or you can download to one computer that is used by any number of persons.

So if you fit under number 2, you would be fine.

14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The Mac App Store (MAS) and the iOS App Store are two different stores, which sell two different products. If you only bought it on the IOS App Store... then you would be charged when buying it on the MAS.

/Jim

15. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

That must have been it. I bet on my iMac and Macbook it came with the system or something, and I purchased it on my ipad. thanks!

16. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

You also could have went into your application folder on your home computer, dragged the Garageband app onto a USB drive, plugged it into your work computer, dragged it into the applications folder on that machine, and that's it.

Of course the way you did it is taking the moral high road.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

With GarageBand, that would miss out on about 7-8GB's of instruments, loops, and sound effects and would render the program very limited. It's a good thing the OP didn't follow your advice on that one.

jW

18. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

7 or 8 gigs? I don't think the download was even close to that in size! More like 1/2 a gig I'd think.