Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I have Garageband on my imac and macbook pro (and iPad). I want to use it on my imac at work. Do I have to repurchase it, or can I just download from the app store?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Garageband comes with Mac OS X. You don't have to buy it separately.

Comment

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I don't, it's the company's mac and all the install stuff is done by IT. It'll be fine to put on here, but have to do it myself and fly under the radar.

Can I not download from the App store without getting charged?

If you have the install disc for the work Mac, you can install Pacifist to extract the app from the install disk.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't, it's the company's mac and all the install stuff is done by IT. It'll be fine to put on here, but have to do it myself and fly under the radar.

Can I not download from the App store without getting charged?
I'm not sure about that, as I've never bought it, apart from having it bundled with a new computer.

Comment

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Did you buy it from the App store in the first place? If so then as long as you are using the same itunes account you can download apps you buy in Mac Appstore to your other computers without repurchase. It will just be in your purchase history to download or go to the app and install. But this is only if you bought from MAS not if you used discs that used to come with new macs.

Comment

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Yes I bought it from the App store. Definitely on my iPad, probably on my macs as well.

Did you buy it from the App store in the first place? If so then as long as you are using the same itunes account you can download apps you buy in Mac Appstore to your other computers without repurchase. It will just be in your purchase history to download or go to the app and install. But this is only if you bought from MAS not if you used discs that used to come with new macs.

Comment

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you have purchased GarageBand from the Mac App Store you will be able to re-download it for free on any Mac registered to that account.

Last edited:
Comment

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I went ahead and bought it on my iMac at work. I used my iTunes account. It charged me $14.99. Should it have charged me?

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
App Store license is for individual use. Business use requires one license per computer.

I went ahead and bought it on my iMac at work. I used my iTunes account. It charged me $14.99. Should it have charged me?

If you bought it on same account then it will not charge you again. If you got charged, you did not buy it with that account.

Comment

fluffyroo

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Columbia, MO
This is all going to depend on how new your iMac and Macbook Pro are. For instance, my Mac Mini purchased with Lion pre-installed, had me log into my AppleID upon initial setup, and thus tied the iLife apps to my Mac App Store. I then could go to my 2010 Macbook Pro which did not ship with Lion (but was upgraded), and install the newest iLife apps from the Mac App Store under the "Purchased" tab. If your macs were not preinstalled with Lion, you will need to purchase the newest 2011 versions of the iLife apps from the Mac App Store. Hope this clears up some confusion!

Comment

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have Garageband on my imac and macbook pro (and iPad). I want to use it on my imac at work. Do I have to repurchase it, or can I just download from the app store?

For apps from the App Store, the rules depend on the situation:

1. For non-commercial use, you can download to any number of computers that you own or control.

2. For commercial use, you can either download to any number of computers that are used by you and nobody else, or you can download to one computer that is used by any number of persons.

So if you fit under number 2, you would be fine.

Comment

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes I bought it from the App store. Definitely on my iPad, probably on my macs as well.

The Mac App Store (MAS) and the iOS App Store are two different stores, which sell two different products. If you only bought it on the IOS App Store... then you would be charged when buying it on the MAS.

/Jim

Comment

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
That must have been it. I bet on my iMac and Macbook it came with the system or something, and I purchased it on my ipad. thanks!

The Mac App Store (MAS) and the iOS App Store are two different stores, which sell two different products. If you only bought it on the IOS App Store... then you would be charged when buying it on the MAS.

/Jim

Comment

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
You also could have went into your application folder on your home computer, dragged the Garageband app onto a USB drive, plugged it into your work computer, dragged it into the applications folder on that machine, and that's it.

Of course the way you did it is taking the moral high road.

Comment

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You also could have went into your application folder on your home computer, dragged the Garageband app onto a USB drive, plugged it into your work computer, dragged it into the applications folder on that machine, and that's it.

Of course the way you did it is taking the moral high road.

With GarageBand, that would miss out on about 7-8GB's of instruments, loops, and sound effects and would render the program very limited. It's a good thing the OP didn't follow your advice on that one.

jW

Comment

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
7 or 8 gigs? I don't think the download was even close to that in size! More like 1/2 a gig I'd think.

With GarageBand, that would miss out on about 7-8GB's of instruments, loops, and sound effects and would render the program very limited. It's a good thing the OP didn't follow your advice on that one.

jW

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.