Do you have two phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Jun 2, 2013.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I am getting bored of my iPhone 5 and thinking of going back to two phones again, probably the S4.

My question is if you ever had two phones before? If so how did you manage what you did on each phone?

I know I have and to be honest, it was a pain in the ass.

WWDC get here soon and give me reason to hold out!

2. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I have iPhone 5 and Note 2 but that's just because I want to experience the beauty of both Android and iOS. What's wrong with having 2 phones? Keep both S4 and iPhone 5 and if you don't like any of them, sell it.

3. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

had s3 and iphone 4s before. s3 ended up being a backup phone after a couple of days since most of my stuff was on iphone and i didn't like android (still don't), then my mum needed a phone, so she took it. now i only have an iphone 5. unless you really need two phones for business or something, it's very likely you end up using one most of the time.

4. Caesars macrumors regular

I just bought an s4 on Friday, so far I've kept certain apps on each phone... It saves me a ton of battery life problems lol. I just added to my friends tmobile line for ten dollars a month, if I ever get sick of it, it's resale time :)

5. cnev3 macrumors 6502

For YEARS I used to use a dumb flip phone, and an iPod touch (since a smartphone and data plan wasnt feasible for me at the time).

Now I have an iPhone 5, but I also have a freedompop mobile 4G hotspot that I sometimes carry with me to give my phone faster internet in areas where there's no LTE.

Having an iPhone 5 and a S4 or HTC One would definitely be sweet. Best of both worlds. If you can get it, go for it.

6. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

I have an iPhone and a Blackberry.
    Why BB, you asked? Well, where I'm living, it's kinda essential to own a BB for work and/or personal life. Everybody uses BB to the point that people no longer asked for your phone number. They ask for your BB PIN.
    When BBM finally comes to iOS, I think I can finally dump my BB and stick with iPhone. Although I'm going to miss the longgg battery life and the quick typing.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

I've had a minimum of two phones for years. But then again I'm the type of highly mobile user that smartphones were designed for. Using all the functionality of email in high volume, accessing the web as I'm doing now, and very little calling, my Samsung S4 is ideal as my primary phone.

If not for its tiny screen my iPhone 5 would be primary, but with SWYPE & the gorgeous roomy 4.99" display, the S4 is so much faster & easier to use. I've had every model of iPhone & every Galaxy S. It's the best of both worlds, especially since I thrive on variety.

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I really want to use my iPhone 5 and then buy a Lumia 925 but I feel like it would be difficult with having to switch SIM cards. Doesn't the iPhone require a different data plan than other smartphones?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I swap between phones frequently. I sync everything important via google, so I have everything I need on each device. I guess it depends on what, exactly, you need to do on your phone. I can see it becoming bothersome if you use very specific apps or something like that, but for the most part, it's a non issue, at least for me n

----------

It does require a different data plan, but will work without it. The plans are in place because of how visual voicemail works. If you don't care about that its a non issue. If you do, a quick phone call will get you taken care of. Understandably, if you are swapping frequently, you probably won't be calling each time. That's the only sacrifice I have come across really.

10. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Ahh okay. I don't think I even have my voicemail setup anymore because I forgot my PIN from when I had my 4S, LOL. Not like I have people calling me too often anyway, I text 99.9% of the time.

Well if that's the only issue then that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

No problem. By the way, the reps will insist you need another plan. Well, most will. Basically, that is how they are trained as its easier to just teach them that than have explain why there are different plans. Pretty stupid, but it is what it is. The telcos figure they're a businessman a school I guess!

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. digglesworth macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5, BB Tour, and a Thunderbolt. I use them for their strengths. BB for battery life and messaging abilities, Android for the openness, and I have the iPhone since it plays well with my Apple gear.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 68040

The-Real-Deal82

I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would have two phones unless one is business and the other personal, or if you needed one for the mistress and one for the wife :p

Seriously though, I would hate to have two pockets filled with a device that pretty much does the same as the additional device. I see having two phones is quite common here, but its not something I experience often amongst friends and colleagues.

15. Bear macrumors G3

For those that want to have both Android and iOS, I can see one being a phone and the other being a tablet. I can't see having 2 phones.

Did you move the sim back and forth or did you pay for service for each phone and have 2 phone numbers? Moving the sim around too often seems like it's asking for trouble.

Same question, did you move the sim around or have 2 phone numbers and pay for double service.

So you pay for 3 phone contracts? Or do you move the sim around or ?

16. digglesworth macrumors member

I don't carry 2 phones at the same time. I switch between them as the need arises. I agree 2 phones at once only makes sense if one is a business phone.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have two phones, my home phone and my iPhone :p

Seriously, one cell phone is more then enough. I did have two cell phones for a while, when my company supplied me with a blackberry and I had my own phone. Now that they allow my iPhone to retrieve work emails, the black berry was turned in.

18. Oridus macrumors 6502a

I carry two phones. A work phone (htc one) and my personal phone (iPhone 5). It's not so bad. It saves battery... And allows me to save on data usage. For example, I only stream slacker on my work phone while in the car since I don't pay for that data plan. :) it's only inconvenient when there is a lack of pocket space.

19. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

My girlfriend has the HTC One so whenever I want to play around with Android I can just grab her phone. Honestly I only really did that when I was helping her set it up, otherwise I am quite happy with my 5.

20. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Having two (or more) phones doesn't necessarily mean using them or carrying them at the same time. In fact, aside from those who need a dedicated busness line, I would venture to guess that most people who have multiple phones only ever carry one at a time. Some people just like the technology. We have multiple computers in the house, but we aren't using them simultaneously. We also have three cars between the two of us (wife and I), yet we are only ever each driving a maximum of one car at a time.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I got three. My S4 and One I switch my primary sim between. My iPhone 5 I really don't use but it has a TMo sim in it to just test the network around here.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 68040

The-Real-Deal82

Do you have two phones?

I appreciate the examples but to me a phone is something I need to carry at all times. Having 2 and leaving one at home would just get confusing IMO. I'm not criticising anybody for wanting 2 phones because that's their prerogative. I just have better things to spend my money on and very different interests, all said in a subjective manner. Plus there is no way my wife would allow me to have £1000 tied up in two devices that serve the same purpose lol :)

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes. Have done so for years.

One for work. One personal.

25. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have the iPhone 5 and picked up the S4 2 weeks ago. I got a micro to nano sim adapter (btw never put the adapter in the S4 without the nano sim or it will get stuck and destroy the contacts when you pull it out). I've tried the note, S3, note 2 and I always go back to the iphone. I just don't like the lagginess with the S4 at times. I love how clean and unbranded iOS is. With the S4 you have to disable a bunch of bloatware etc. if you replace the phone back up and restores are no where near as friendly as iOS. I also like how it is easier to use with one hand. Only useful thing the S4 has over the iphone is the remote blaster. Fun to walk by a sports bar and change the channel if you don't like the team or shutoff the TV :)