Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
be more heathier for the mac pro to have longevity if it were on top. I guess if it were on top of a desk, the mac pro would collect less dust + able to breathe alot better for less stress on the logicboard/fan??

I'm seriously thinking about putting the mac pro on top of my desk.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you have carpet then the computer will probably be more susceptible to dust on the floor. However, I really think it all depends on your specific setup. If you have an open window near your desk then the Mac Pro may collect more dust being on top...

Retired
May 16, 2006
The Mac would be better off on the desk, and should be there if feasible, especially if you have a carpet.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I have carpeting but the type that isnt too furry. Its those carpet where its kind of hard knitted so that if you spill water it will stay on top type of carpet... anyone know what I'm talking about?

Emerson

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2004
Iowa
Mine is on top of my desk, to the left of my monitors. I chose to keep it up on the desk, because I have a dog and sometimes she lays under the desk when I am working. Plus it just looks cool.

274446094_F9sDr-M.jpg

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Mine is on top of my desk, to the left of my monitors. I chose to keep it up on the desk, because I have a dog and sometimes she lays under the desk when I am working. Plus it just looks cool.

http://theroadtaken.smugmug.com/photos/274446094_F9sDr-M.jpg

Nice setup.. but your precious Mac Pro is too close to the edge!! I like to keep mine (now on top) more away from the edge just incase it slips... :D

This is how I set it up:
2386792288_22ecaa4997_b.jpg

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
i have a relatively small desk that is empty minus the keyboard/mouse and 30" display, i have my macpro to the left of the desk (on the carpet) however its on a 3/4" piece of thick heavyduty wood to keep it from being to close to the carpet; preventing it from also being to wobbley on the carpet, good airflow and not much dust at all; also it sits right infront of a window and the nice cool breeze when its open helps generate the intake of coolair and outtake of hot air

:)

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
be more heathier for the mac pro to have longevity if it were on top. I guess if it were on top of a desk, the mac pro would collect less dust

Semi-debatable. Someone needs to set up a scientific
experiment here :)

+ able to breathe alot better for less stress on the logicboard/fan??

It can breathe well enough on the floor. The floor area tends
to be colder too. Heat rises.

If the machine is on the desk, it may be subject to more vibration
(or less :) ).

Maybe that's something you need to worry about too.

And then, of course, it'll suck in bits of dust falling off your arms,
and germs you exhale (which will multiply inside the enclosure
and eventually eat away at the insides). Not to mention stray ants
attracted to sugary substances dropped on the desk when eating,
etc etc. Because, let's not forget it, desks also accumulate things
and dust and stuff and things.

Solution: balance the machine on a pin.

That desk position is further from the core of the earth, so the
machine will move faster through space, possibly colliding with
ever so slightly more cosmic rays. And it'll be closer to the
nefarious gravitational influence of the moon.

And if your house/office is hit by an earthquake, is it safer on the
desk or the ground? And is that the time when you regret having
decided to balance the machine on a pin?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
^ awesome answer.

All you have to do is to give it an air dusting every now and again even if you have it on carpet (and buy a decent vaccum cleaner - Miele's S500 series will literally suck carpets off the floor)

I suppose for the 'never mind how crap it is to actually work with which I'm going to gloss over in any case, but just look at it' Applemaniacs having their pride & joy up on their desks makes sense, although I personally think it's rather silly to have the system units up on the desks wasting space and being generally monolithic.

However I did upend a can of beer recently as I left the desk which dribbled down onto one of my Pros which I'd left slightly poking out from under the desk. Careless drinking at the desk aside, I say under the desk is the most sensible.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I too prefer my $3000 dollar computer up on the desk. It just seems such a shame to put such an expensive, beautiful piece of engineering such as the Mac Pro on the floor. I do however have my computer desk sitting in the family room. That's where my 3 kids play. Every time they come near my desk with a toy car, or a crayon, I freak. And the thought of my 18 month old tossing a Weeble through my $1800 Cinema Display gives me heart palpitations. So I am moving the computer into the bedroom. Since space is limited in the bedroom I have to settle for a more compact computer desk. So this means the Mac Pro will have to go under the desk in that slot made for towers. Maybe the desk will look more balanced with just the Cinema Display and the speakers on top. We'll see.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I keep mine on the floor, the carpeted floor, beside my desk. I've had computers for many, many years, none of which were put on my desk. I've never had a computer go up in a ball of flames or outright explode due to dust. Then again, I also will open the case from time to time to do an upgrade or just simply to clean it out. It's all about maintenance. I highly doubt the level of dust at floor level is going to be significantly greater than three feet higher in the same room.

Personally I have no need to show off my Mac Pro by putting it on my desk. I bought it for it's computing power, not to be a status symbol. Yes, it's a beautiful machine, but it's also freaking huge. I'm a minimalist so there's no way I would have the tower sitting my desk. So it happily sits on the floor.

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008

A bit OT, but how much space are those lacie disks and how are they noise wise?

Emerson

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2004
Iowa
A bit OT, but how much space are those lacie disks and how are they noise wise?

The LaCie drives are 250gb and 160gb. I use the 250gb for Time Machine and the 160gb one for a SuperDuper clone of my system drive. The drives are fairly nosiy when they are being written to, but when they are idle I can barely hear them. Overall I would rate them as average when it comes to noise, however since I always have itunes playing in the background it is not a concern for me.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
The Mac Pro is fairly quiet, but it still makes noise, especially when I have multiple hard drives crunching along. I'd worry about it falling over too by some crazy accident, even though the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Still... I put it on the floor.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I keep mine on the desk with the side access panel toward me and the back (where the most ports are) facing the direction the most cables are coming from. Its all about easy access, nothing more nothing less. The MP is the hub of the studio and is therefore centrally located. I don't need my tots powering it down, either. And its easier to lick when its right there at head level. (*realizes the room went silent* uh just kidding?)

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I usually keep mine under the desk, but sometimes I move it above just because it's such an awesome-looking machine.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Semi-debatable. Someone needs to set up a scientific
experiment here :)

It can breathe well enough on the floor. The floor area tends
to be colder too. Heat rises.

If the machine is on the desk, it may be subject to more vibration
(or less :) ).

Maybe that's something you need to worry about too.

And then, of course, it'll suck in bits of dust falling off your arms,
and germs you exhale (which will multiply inside the enclosure
and eventually eat away at the insides). Not to mention stray ants
attracted to sugary substances dropped on the desk when eating,
etc etc. Because, let's not forget it, desks also accumulate things
and dust and stuff and things.

Solution: balance the machine on a pin.

That desk position is further from the core of the earth, so the
machine will move faster through space, possibly colliding with
ever so slightly more cosmic rays. And it'll be closer to the
nefarious gravitational influence of the moon.

And if your house/office is hit by an earthquake, is it safer on the
desk or the ground? And is that the time when you regret having
decided to balance the machine on a pin?

I appreciate the lil jokey joke, but I laughed about the comment when you said heat rises. I think this might be true, my cpu/northbridge seems to run a bit hotter than when it was on the floor. I might move it back down.

Also I dont think it would make a difference if the mac pro will suck dust off my arms when if the mac pro was on the bottom, my legs would suck even more dust, especially my legs have way more hair than on my arms + the feet.

But I do agree about the vibration about it being on top of the desk. I guess if it were on a big strong desk then you wouldnt have to worry about that.. but my desk is pretty small.

amik

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I appreciate the lil jokey joke, but I laughed about the comment when you said heat rises. I think this might be true, my cpu/northbridge seems to run a bit hotter than when it was on the floor. I might move it back down.

He's just referencing basic thermodynamics. Heat rises, displacing any cooler air that may be above it. In any given environment at relative equilibrium the coolest air will be at the bottom and the warmest at the top.

Certainly any air currents in your room will have practical impacts on the temperature around your mac pro (as you indicated in saying it seems cooler out in the open), but fundamentally it does not matter where the heat or cool air comes from, as it will eventually move to its equilibrium state.

This of course assumes that your ac isn't running full tilt all the time and that the room does reach some state of equilibrium. It also assumes you live on earth and abide by the laws of physics as they are currently understood.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
He's just referencing basic thermodynamics. Heat rises, displacing any cooler air that may be above it. In any given environment at relative equilibrium the coolest air will be at the bottom and the warmest at the top.

Certainly any air currents in your room will have practical impacts on the temperature around your mac pro (as you indicated in saying it seems cooler out in the open), but fundamentally it does not matter where the heat or cool air comes from, as it will eventually move to its equilibrium state.

This of course assumes that your ac isn't running full tilt all the time and that the room does reach some state of equilibrium. It also assumes you live on earth and abide by the laws of physics as they are currently understood.

He's right I've checked the istat pro and all the cpu and northbridge is actually 8-10 fahrenheit hotter on top of my desk as to it being on the floor. I just moved it back down .

The cpu A,A,B,B were all at 108-110 fahrenheit and with the northbridge at 115-119 fahrenheit (I've never seen the northbridge go up that high before moving it up on top it usually stays at 99-106 fahrenheit at hottest. I guess the heat just rises all to the top and the bottom is just that much cooler. Nice one!! :D

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
whoa I just checked the cpu and they all are at 92-95 fahrenheit as to it being 108-110 fahrenheit (on the top) man it does make a huge difference in heat and the northbridge is only at 106 fahrenheit at the highest as to the 119 fahrenheit. :)

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I prefer the Mac Pro on top of my desk for easier access to ports and such, but also with a machine like this, I have to show it off too :D. There's plenty of room up here for it, but it only shares the desk with a 20" display, 2 speakers, KB + mouse, a printer, and a 12" PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.