iPad Do you "kill" apps, or leave them "running"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Old Skool Gamer, Apr 12, 2016.

?

Do you close unused apps, or leave them open in the background?

1. I leave them open in the background.

51.0%
  2. I close them when I am not actively using them.

49.0%
  1. Old Skool Gamer Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

Apparently iOS is good at memory management, and open apps go into a "dormant" state when they're not actively being used.

I always close apps when I've finished using them, but apparently you don't have to as they don't use up many (if any?) resources?

Do you tend to close (swipe up) unused apps, or do you just leave them "running"?

If you do leave them "running" do you notice any slowdown on your iPad?

I've been wondering why my podcasts are not automatically downloaded as they become available (even though I have Background App Refresh turned on for both the stock Podcasts app, as well as Downcast).

Surely it's not because I haven't been leaving them open in the background?

If you always leave a certain "collection" of apps open in the background, what are they?

On the flip side, are there apps which you would definitely not leave open in the background?

Thanks ...

2. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I close them just out of habit, but it's not necessary.

3. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I leave all apps running in the background. I think the best analogy is this:

Imagine your iPad is a library, with the books neatly organised on the shelves (all apps closed). You want to get a book and start using it, maybe you're using several within a short time. You leave them open on the table in front of you so you can see where you were. Every so often a book or two gets closed to make more space on the table. Force quitting the application is the librarian removing your bookmarks and putting the book back on the shelf. To use it again you need to find it and start over. The latter part uses more battery than merely grabbing the book that's still on the table.

iOS is smart, let it do the management and only quit apps that are misbehaving.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Other than split screen, iOS does not have true multitasking so apps cannot run in the background.

What some apps have to do is use the GPS feature which does allow the app to run in the background without the OS automatically suspending it.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I force close apps when I start getting app crashes on my Air. Helps a bit with Safari tab refresh and out of memory crashes.

6. Hal~9000, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

iPad Mini 2 here.

I close pretty much every app, besides Safari, to avoid apps reloading due to lack of sifficient ram. Really easy to do with the iPad gestures and just takes a second.

7. Rava macrumors member

I close them when I start having crashes or significant amounts of Safari tab refreshing. I have an iPad mini 2, and it always has some amount of tab reloading, but there are times when the performance is clearly worse than normal.

8. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

I know it's not necessary but I kill them dead every coulee of days.

9. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I kill the apps whenever I charge my device. For my iPad it's about every 4 days. Fo my iPhone it's just about every night.

10. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

In the stock app, besides Background App Refresh, what are your other podcast settings at? iOS 9.? A little more info, maybe someone will be able to help. If you don't get help in this thread (the title doesn't indicate a podcast issue), a separate thread with a descriptive title will give you better exposure.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I know that it doesn't really make a difference, but I usually close apps in the app switcher as soon as I'm not using them. It just seems neater in my mind.

12. Old Skool Gamer thread starter Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

13. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Me too.

14. Old Skool Gamer thread starter Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

I have done so, but placed it in the iOS 9 forum.

Here's the link: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-get-podcasts-to-automatically-download.1967211/

iOS 9, background app refresh, check every hour, download most recent, keep most recent, all notifications on.

However, I think it's because the app needs to be open in the background for it to automatically download?

Would be nice if it didn't have to be (Mail is able to Fetch & Push when it's not open in the background).

Any ideas?

15. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i leave them running in the background too. i kill them when i can be bothered, but most of the time i cant. using a Pro these days i dont ever notice it.

16. Old Skool Gamer thread starter Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

Thanks for that.

Do you listen to podcasts?

If so, do you manage to get them to download in the background?

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i've never listened to a pod cast in my life :p

but i've never had issues with other things downloading in the background

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I usually close apps when done but do know it really does not matter that much. Just like to keep things tidy:)

19. Old Skool Gamer thread starter Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

You're missing out on some great content, buddy!

Check out James O'Brien's Mystery Hour, for example ;).

Then there's the TED Radio Hour.

All interesting stuff ...

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I close them on my iPad 2 running iOS9, but never on my 4S running iOS7. The former runs like s***, and it actually has an effect when I do it.

21. Old Skool Gamer thread starter Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

I love the fact that you're using those classic devices ;).

22. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Why would I not?

23. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

I leave everything open. I usually have a couple browsers and a half dozen games open all the time and never see any problems related to it.

24. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

The pro is so smooth and fast I haven't even thought of killing anything. Though I don't have a lot of games on the iPad like i do my phone.

25. pika2000 macrumors 68030

"closing apps" is a legacy paradigm.
    iOS has an intelligent memory management. There's really no logical reason to be micro managing running apps like that. I don't even do that on Android. I only "killed" apps when it is not responding.