Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you close unused apps, or leave them open in the background?

• Total voters

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Apparently iOS is good at memory management, and open apps go into a "dormant" state when they're not actively being used.

I always close apps when I've finished using them, but apparently you don't have to as they don't use up many (if any?) resources?

Do you tend to close (swipe up) unused apps, or do you just leave them "running"?

If you do leave them "running" do you notice any slowdown on your iPad?

I've been wondering why my podcasts are not automatically downloaded as they become available (even though I have Background App Refresh turned on for both the stock Podcasts app, as well as Downcast).

Surely it's not because I haven't been leaving them open in the background?

If you always leave a certain "collection" of apps open in the background, what are they?

On the flip side, are there apps which you would definitely not leave open in the background?

Thanks ...

You have to distinguish between leaving apps open in the background (and running) and leaving apps open.

Since iOS does a excellent job of the latter, no point to manually doing it. On the former, that's up to you.

Reactions: friedmud

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
The only thing I close are financial apps. Everything else I just leave open.
As far as podcasts, not really a huge consumer of them.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I close apps, shut down safari tabs and reboot the iPad pretty frequently.

People claim these things are unnecessary but I "feel" a perfor,since increase whenever I do it so I'm still unsure if it's all in my head or inot. But it works for me so whatever.

Reactions: rui no onna

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I voted for closing apps, but in reality, I only close them when I know things are acting up. When it acts up, I close all apps, and reboot. I seem to need to do this once every 2 weeks or so.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I voted for closing apps, but in reality, I only close them when I know things are acting up. When it acts up, I close all apps, and reboot. I seem to need to do this once every 2 weeks or so.
Yup. Close all apps plus hard reset. Alas, on the Air 1, that's a 2-3 times weekly occurrence.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Not understanding why rebooting is needed to that degree. Is iOS 8 and 9 that unstable?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Not understanding why rebooting is needed to that degree. Is iOS 8 and 9 that unstable?

I believe it is memory leaks that led to the need to close apps. I have in the past only forced quit apps and tried to continue, but I still noticed slow speeds.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I close them out of habit but it makes ZERO difference, when the memory limit has been reached it's already closed and when you open it up it will refresh anyway

4GB RAM you see significantly less of that

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I actually use a mix.

The 12.9" iPP with 4GB of RAM has changed things quite a bit. If you get one you'll immediately notice that it can keep MANY apps in memory in the background.

The thing is: while just keeping those apps in a "suspended" state in the background doesn't do anything harmful (and does allow you to resume that app very quickly) I have found that some apps are more "suspended" than others. Occasionally, if I leave a graphically intensive app (like a game) running in the background I can tell that it's draining the battery on the iPP as if I had it open. If I kill that app then it stops.

I think the reason I never noticed this before on any other i-device is because with limited RAM you're not really going to be keeping a graphically intensive game in RAM very long... it's going to get shutdown to make room for something else. But with 4GB I can sometimes come back to a game a played a few _days_ ago and it's still running!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The thing is: while just keeping those apps in a "suspended" state in the background doesn't do anything harmful (and does allow you to resume that app very quickly) I have found that some apps are more "suspended" than others. Occasionally, if I leave a graphically intensive app (like a game) running in the background I can tell that it's draining the battery on the iPP as if I had it open. If I kill that app then it stops.

Interesting...is it not coded property then? I'd kill it too, then!

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
I was one of them people that always closed apps and would forget to do it once and a while and one day I realized that when I didn't close them I couldn't tell a difference. Haven't closed one since unless it stopped responding and haven't had any issues with it.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I never do it, never felt any slowness due to apps being suspended in the background and I do realize that the apps will get auto killed if the OS thinks it necessary.

iOS does a very good job of memory management and there should be no reason of me performing a CPU's job.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I never do it, never felt any slowness due to apps being suspended in the background and I do realize that the apps will get auto killed if the OS thinks it necessary.

iOS does a very good job of memory management and there should be no reason of me performing a CPU's job.
I agree with what your saying. There's no reason except at night, I close everything to have a"fresh start" in the morning.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Expected to see a lynching of the app-killers. 50% still do it?! C'mon people... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.